Author Topic: Remembering John Denver.  (Read 739 times)

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
Remembering John Denver.
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:08:10 AM »
https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/11/17/john-denver/?fbclid=IwAR2xRaKEWu34PCkYis8vYdCnHDauF_4UZTDo0lDDM_M6eL_q6-HYMbcMrHU

Even I didn't know that he was born here in Roswell. Ive never heard anyone around here mention it.
I knew he had died in a plane crash, but I never knew any of the particulars that were involved in his death.
I did like his music though.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Remembering John Denver.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
I love Johns music always will but like a lot of the greats he had his problems which I will not go into. He was killed in a plane crash in the ocean off California flying a home built airplane which he was thinking of buying the problem that caused the crash was a fuel tank switching valve that you had to operate manual and of all things it was located behind the pilot seat which could not be reached by the pilot of all things. When he saw that the one wing tank was almost out of fuel and he could not get to the switching valve to switch tanks he did a sharp steep bank to head back to the airport but the weight of the full tank caused the plane to slice right out of the sky and into the ocean. This was the government report that was released to the public . I remember when it happened and it was a very sad day for me as I really loved his music. He was really great on the 12 string  and my favorite song of his I will say is  A song for all lovers that he wrote for his special friend Marty Murie. I have a number of his records as well as a tape of the wild life series he did as a special on PBS. Every so often I get it out and play it, has a lot of his great songs. He also did a lot of conservation work for different groups and for the state Alaska.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
Never was a Denver fan, but I remember in 1974 when he won "Entertainer of the Year" at the CMA, a slightly inebriated Charlie Rich, aka The Silver Fox, burned his award card in protest.

Denver wasn't there, and Rich, along with many others, didn't consider him a country artist.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
He died young because he forgot which tank went with what setting on the selector and he took off on an almost dry tank.  The crash investigators said that it looked like he was trying to switch tanks when he crashed.  It's likely another 1/2 gallon in the tank and he would have been high enough to either switch tanks or turn around and glide back in.

Tony

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 04:58:45 AM »
I liked John Denver and was saddened by his untimely death.
He enjoyed flying. He owned a number of aircraft and was certified single and multi engine, instrument and glider (a passion that we shared).
He was flying the experimental EZ because no license to fly was needed. His own pilots license had been revoked in 1996 when his medical certificate was denied after a number of DUI arrests.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
wasnt a big fan
blue lives matter

Offline Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »
I thought he had a fantastic voice. Rocky Mountain high...

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
I have the wildlife PBS series concert on tape and every so often I get it out and listen to it, the song of his that i like the most of all is his song, Song for all lovers which he wrote especially for his friend Marti Muri  who has did a lot for Alaska. Her and her husband have did a lot to help preserve Alaska.   https://youtu.be/LU3skNk_QBc Jim Horn and Bill Burton played in the band for this concert.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
 I would have liked to see John Denver survive and grow old. Who knows what music and memories he’d have made.
And Jim Croce, and Buddy Holly, and Jerry Garcia, and...