Author Topic: getting a new rifle today.  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
getting a new rifle today.
« on: October 15, 2020, 12:07:15 AM »
Went to the gun shop yesterday and they had a real nice 06 win featherweight controlled round fed gun on the rack. Looked like new. Got bsing with the owner and he said he has people in line to get 9mms. I told him id gladly trade one for that 70. He asked me what i had and it told him id consider parting with one of my shields or my 17. We ended up agreeing on my 2.0 shield which by the way i paid 350 bucks for a year ago. I didnt really need a third o6 but then i have 8 9mm handguns too and the featherweights have allways in my eyes been the best looking factory rifle made.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: getting a new rifle today.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 12:28:49 AM »
I keep thinking I need to get another Remington 700 Varmint .223. One of those with the laminate stock would be the one I'd like to have but could live with a plastic stock one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 12:37:24 AM »
one of the best (if not the best) shooting rifle ive ever owned is a heavy barreled bdl in 22250. I dont go out west anymore dog hunting because my back wont make the trip but id never part with that gun.
I keep thinking I need to get another Remington 700 Varmint .223. One of those with the laminate stock would be the one I'd like to have but could live with a plastic stock one.
blue lives matter

Offline neckisred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 02:46:55 AM »
Went to the gun shop yesterday and they had a real nice 06 win featherweight controlled round fed gun on the rack. Looked like new. Got bsing with the owner and he said he has people in line to get 9mms. I told him id gladly trade one for that 70. He asked me what i had and it told him id consider parting with one of my shields or my 17. We ended up agreeing on my 2.0 shield which by the way i paid 350 bucks for a year ago. I didnt really need a third o6 but then i have 8 9mm handguns too and the featherweights have allways in my eyes been the best looking factory rifle made.
If you made a straight up trade or even had to pay some difference, that's a heck of a deal. I see an 06 bolt gun in my future.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 12:39:31 AM »
well the rifle is sitting here ready for a nice day to sight it in. I had a vx1 3x9 in the safe that didnt have a home. gun even came with leupold mounts and rings. Wood isnt spectacular. Typical winchester, way to heavy with the stain. But it doesnt have a single ding in it so i doubt ill have it refinished to see what grain is under there. Didnt really need another 06 as i have 3 already but i love featherwieghts and it was a deal i couldnt pass on.
If you made a straight up trade or even had to pay some difference, that's a heck of a deal. I see an 06 bolt gun in my future.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 03:05:39 AM »
I had 2 Model 70s in 3006 at the same time about 30 years ago. Killed a big muley with one of'em using the factory sights.
Wish I had'em back.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 11:59:04 PM »
Good choice Winchester Featherweight.  Fine looking and shooting rifles.  Hopes yours is too.

Caliber notwithstanding, my Featherweight is a 270 that has been faithfully in the deer stand with me since 1990.  It has its "got 'em honest" dings and nicks that are ever present reminders of those specific instances where I failed.

I have been looking for a checkered wood, Schnabel fore end, long action (7 5/8"), 2-piece floor plate, right hand, control round feed bolt, replacement Featherweight stock.  I cannot tell from incomplete Winchester serial#, if mine is pre-64 or post (G21515).  It cannot be "current production" (2008-present).  I suspect post-64.   

The "G" series #'s seem to start in 1969 at G941900 (920 thousand after mine) according to this site: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/winchester-model-70-information.html .  Confusing to say the least.

Mine has an incomplete strike on its barrel, "Winchester Featherweigh" [sic], trailing off with an incomplete "h" and no "t", making it unique I think.  Best picture I have:

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:07:21 AM »
well it looks to be a shooter. All i had loaded was my go to 06 load that shoots well in many 06s ive tried it in. 59 grains of 4831 a fed primer and a 150 grain flat base interlock. Few rounds to get it on target and shot two 5 shot groups that both went just under an inch. That was with a very hot barrel ( probably 20 shots total without letting it cool other then walking down to check a target. Heat waves were really coming off of it and it was only 43 degrees outside. Either i got real lucky of that gun will be an absolute tack driver with some load development next year. Tod my buddy i might just say the heck with it and just use that load but then id have 3 06s that shot the same load. Id like to see something in the 165 grain class shoot in it just for something different
blue lives matter