Author Topic: Turmeric may help osteoarthritis knee pain, study says  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Turmeric may help osteoarthritis knee pain, study says
« on: September 16, 2020, 04:08:44 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/health/turmeric-osteoarthritis-knee-pain-study

By Amy McGorry | Fox News

Turmeric may help reduce pain in arthritic knees, according to a new study from the University of Tasmania’s Menzies Institute for Medical Research. The researchers found patients with knee osteoarthritis who took the extract of Curcuma longa, a plant also known as turmeric, had less knee pain than those who took a placebo after 12 weeks, with no adverse events, according to the published report in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

The team of researchers also discovered in the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study that the turmeric did not change the structural aspects of the osteoarthritis, cartilage composition, or swelling in the knee, the study's news release said.

CINNAMON SUPPLEMENT MAY BENEFIT PEOPLE WITH PREDIABETES, STUDY FINDS

The authors said that "current pharmacologic therapies for patients with osteoarthritis are suboptimal."

Turmeric may help reduce pain in arthritic knees, according to a new study from the University of Tasmania’s Menzies Institute for Medical Research. (iStock)
Turmeric may help reduce pain in arthritic knees, according to a new study from the University of Tasmania’s Menzies Institute for Medical Research. (iStock)
Dr. Benny Eathakkattu Antony, the senior author of the report, said in a press release that despite the large numbers of the population that suffer from osteoarthritis, "common treatments, such as paracetamol and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have only mild to moderate effects and can have adverse side effects. Due to this, an urgent need exists for safer and more effective drugs to treat osteoarthritis."

The researchers studied 70 participants with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis and ultrasound evidence revealing swelling in the knee joint. The participants randomly were selected to receive either two capsules per day of turmeric or placebo for a 12 week period, according to the release.

The researchers used imaging studies, such as an MRI, and a standardized questionnaire to determine changes regarding the use of pain medication, cartilage composition, measures of physical performance, quality of life and adverse events.

After the 12-week period, patients taking the turmeric supplements reported less pain than those in the placebo group, the release stated.

Professor Graeme Jones, a rheumatologist, said in the press release that the group that took the turmeric used fewer pain medications compared to the placebo group. Jones also noted that despite less pain, there was no difference regarding the structural aspects of knees between the two groups.

“Despite the positive findings, due to the modest effect of the turmeric, small sample size of the study, short-duration of follow-up and the single research center, the researchers suggest that multicentre trials with larger sample sizes and long duration of follow-up are needed to assess the clinical significance of their findings," he said.

The study did have limitations, however. Namely the small study size and short duration. Funding was also from a company that manufactures ayurvedic products.

Despite the study's shortcomings, health care clinicians told Fox News that they see the value of turmeric in patients with osteoarthritis.

“I prescribe turmeric to my patients with osteoarthritis. I urge them to use it in cooking and lattes. If that doesn’t resonate with them, I prescribe the active ingredient curcumin as a supplement. Additionally, I may prescribe a Chinese herbal formula," Mindy Pickard, a licensed acupuncturist at Three Treasures Acupuncture in New York City who was not involved with the study, told Fox News.

Some physical therapists told Fox News turmeric is a nice adjunct with an exercise treatment for knee pain.

"Turmeric and its most active compound called curcumin have wonderful anti-inflammatory properties," Sherrie Glasser, director of Metro Physical Therapy in Florida and on Long Island, N.Y., told Fox News.

"I often use turmeric and believe in its anti-inflammatory effects," Jari Haile, a physical therapist at Thrive Integrated Physical Therapy in New York, also told Fox News.

That said, health care professionals who spoke to Fox News warned that's important to speak with their physician before taking any over-the-counter supplements.

Sort by

Newest

SpikyMikie
1 hour ago
Ive been doing this for years. It works, period. And it wont destroy your liver like Ibuprofen. It also strengthens your immune system.

Lepke
15 hours ago
I'm 72 and I've been using it for at least a couple years and knees are much better. It helps other joints, too. Including some that were damaged in the military.

BigBoyWinston
18 hours ago

Both my husband and I take turmeric for about 1 yr. Along with exercise and maintaing our weight, it is helping. I no longer take an anti inflamatory in daytime. The study was small and I would really like to see a larger study to prove its benefits.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sandhillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Turmeric may help osteoarthritis knee pain, study says
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 05:34:20 AM »
Turmeric is wonderful, but its downside is that it is not very absorbable,  but there are a couple products out there that have other herbs in a capsule that make it very highly absorbed.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 06:47:57 PM »
It's also expensive for how little it helps.  The only thing affordable pain that works is still opiates but the government thinks they know more than the doctors and have cut off the supply...

Tony

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 06:19:15 AM »
I've been using a turmeric supplement for a couple years now, it's really helped my inflammatory arthritis in my knee.  I've had swollen knee issues for decades and it would swell up and need to be drained and cortisone shot would quell it.  It would generally happen to where I would need draining/shot once a year or so.  They don't like giving cortisone because it degrades the ligaments, but since is was sporadic they said it wasn't an issue.  Since I've started the turmeric I've not had any issues with my knee.  The general anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric is great for overall health as well. Inflammation is right at the top of cause of a lot of health issues.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 11:27:04 PM »
I bunged up both of my knees in bike crashes many years ago and the only thing that really helps them is DMSO.  I use a lot of it.  It's cheap and works but if you have sensitive skin, it can cause irritation.  I can use it on my knees, hands and wrists a couple times a week but other places I can only use it once a week or less.  I dislocated my right shoulder back around 1982 (also in a bike crash) and I'd love to use it more often but my skin is to sensitive there to do that.

I tried putting it on my chest after I got home from the hospital after surviving CORVID19.  It might be all in my head but I think my heart is getting stronger because of it.  It's not hurting so I'm going to keep doing it.

My left hip is shot and the only thing that helps with that pain is opiates.  It's too bad Oregon has banned them for chronic pain.  I'm too old and crippled to relocate or I'd likely be already gone.

Tony

Offline ironglows

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 12:19:51 AM »
From TM;
  I'm certainly a Tumeric/Curcumin believer. After dieing several times and being resuscitated I managed to survive 18 broken bones, 4 of them compound fractures. Imagine your pelvis sticking out of your upper thigh, or your left humerus snapped in two places poking out of your upper arm and same with knee, and jaw, etc. I survived 7 days of surgery, 35 days in coma, and 7 months of rehab. They could not install replacement joints in my hips or knees because the adjacent bone was so damaged it could not support prosthesis  joints.  Pelvis is held together by three 9'' lag bolts, left knee 18 pins and plates. They pinned and glued my body back together_ _ close to 100 pins, nails, screws, bolts and plates. 

Wow TM!  ..So many injuries, what do you do in your spare time..play with live land mines ?  ;)  ;D
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 02:49:08 AM »
He has auto wrecks with impaired drivers in his spare time. Well once was more than enough actually. I've seen the photos of the vehicles after the wreck and it is a miracle he survived. His wife didn't.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jamesy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 12:48:55 PM »
I use Tumeric...only drawback for me's been the heartburn.

Keep smiling...

...jamesy

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
I started taking turmeric/curcumin a few years ago when I was trying different things for my acid reflux and Barrett's esophagus. It didn't really help for that but I noticed that I stopped having carpal tunnel flare ups in my left hand so I kept taking it. I take the kind that has a pepper extract in it which helps the body absorb it better. You can also just take one peppercorn with each dose to help your body absorb it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline ironglows

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 03:29:21 AM »
  A new 'fad' or a new discovery?

My Dad used to recommend walking barefoot in the grass as the evening dew gathers..said it produced health.

New information seems to recommend the same, in a new idea called "earthing" or "grounding"..

We are of course, al aware or the magnetic poles of the earth, and the flow thereof.   Proponents claim that these lines are important to maintain and preserve human wellness.

One thing that seems to give the proponents a bit of veracity, is that they have nothing to sell. Well, some do try to sell special shoes or mats, but nobody needs a special stuff to stand or sit on the ground.

Then, some get loopy and claim some kind of a "spiritual connection", ..but a Christian can ignore that mumbo~jumbo...

I think I will try being a kid again...so far as going barefoot at times.  Can't hurt...may help !

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

https://www.healthline.com/health/grounding

Maybe Dad was onto something...
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..