Author Topic: Music  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
Music
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
Music once touched our souls and excited us. Every human emotion. Made us cry, laugh,love, sing, and remember. This new stuff doesn't. It doesn't even ring a bell.

Offline ironglows

Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
  For me, virtually none of the new stuff does have that effect. In fact, I am rarely moved by the older stuff, because i am just not very "musical" in my nature.

I find it completely puzzling when we so often see a person who, all alone when some peppy music comes on, 'goes spastic', gyrating wildly, flinging their arms and legs all about as if out of control!

What moves me most, I guess is some of the old songs which bring back memories of my late wife.  Memories of our meeting, courtship and married life.
 Nearly the same are certain hymns and certain martial music, which provoke thought, but not any urge to dance or other gyrations.

Appropriate lyrics helps too, such as this rendition of "Scotland the Brave"..
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »
IG, that's very nice. It's what you like. Others have what they like. The problem is, where has the music gone?

Offline ironglows

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »
  I have heard it asked, "what happened to the melody?"  As I said, I am not at all musical..no "music" in me..  But I know something is very much missing in today's music..especially in "contemporary Christian" music.

It must be the melody that has gone AWOL !
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
  I find it completely puzzling when we so often see a person who, all alone when some peppy music comes on, 'goes spastic', gyrating wildly, flinging their arms and legs all about as if out of control! -- LOL, I remember when there was AIR BAND competition, which I thought was silly at best but I miss the days when youth were doing that verses today.
Raising the drinking age to 21 has made them SO MUCH better.  >:(

What moves me most, I guess is some of the old songs which bring back memories ....
I have never paid attention to to the lyrics of songs, until this year when I can find them on the net (I actually look to see what they were saying in a lot of songs whose tune I liked.)

BUT hearing songs from the past, the tune, NOT the lyrics, does affect my state of mind, or mood.
I do listen to some college alternative stations as the often the basic arrangements are similar to those I heard often 25-45 years ago when I used to cruise the Twin Cities by myself on the radio or even in some venues I was in.
I have found in Christian music, the stuff I liked in church sixty years ago, comforts me, but some of he choirs or what ever they are on radio, seem oblivious to what being tone deaf means.
I have one Christmas album entirely by a tone deaf church choir,  :o m you often get what you pay for at antique stores. 8)[/size]

Offline ironglows

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 05:30:10 PM »
I have heard others say that the music is what counts, and sometimes can't even tell us the words.  I am the other way, the words better have a good message, or I tune out !

That is why I posted this song in the OP.

I like the tune, but I like the words even better !

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
Back in my younger days I played some semi professionally. I never made it big time,but enjoyed doing it as a side line and did get to open for some country pros.Had fun,but spent more than I made. My favorite thing about music was singing harmony. I love to hear good groups that harmonize well. Give a listen to these guys.....I doesn't get any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpQK6vzunsA
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:08:27 AM »
Back in my younger days I played some semi professionally. I never made it big time,but enjoyed doing it as a side line and did get to open for some country pros.Had fun,but spent more than I made. My favorite thing about music was singing harmony. I love to hear good groups that harmonize well. Give a listen to these guys.....I doesn't get any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpQK6vzunsA

^^^^^. That's a good one Brad. I put it in my save.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
  As I clearly stated, I have none, zilch...nada, musical ability..but my grandchildren do.     This is my #1 grandson (age wise), and a current video of his band, playing in Kansas City.  He is also the former Marine special operations warrior (MARSOC) and a weapons tester and developer for NATO, as well as a top gunsmith in his own right..
      The video opens with him, playing in the foreground (white guitar).  He carries his sgt stripes on his vest..as well as a Semper Fi logo on the back.  They play that area as well as a place or area called "Lake of the Ozarks".  ...And like NW mentioned, they often open for the really big guys.
   Folks seem to enjoy it..but me being without rhythm, beat, or whatever it is that's needed, it's just noise to me..   ;)  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sycamore+grove%2C+kc

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 06:25:00 AM »
Music now days sure ain't what it once was. And that includes Country. Then why do all these recent commercials and movie scores seem to always use a much older song? 

Offline ironglows

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 07:19:27 AM »
I cannot answer that Argent !  I never got the hang o f R&R music, starting from day #1 !

The primary thing to me, is that I have 3 grandsons and each of them have 2 or 3 jobs, and they each enjoy every one of them.  Can't wait to go to work..the same goes with my son also !
  ....Proves the old adage..."Get a job you love to do...and you will never have to work again in your life !

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
No one is creative anymore. Just a bunch of crap they try to call music.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »
I played in a working jazz band for a while and to me the 1960's were a true musical renaissance period. The creativity found in rock, jazz, country, pop, R&B, funk and soul was at its pinnacle. Back then most record companies gave full creative control to the bands because that's what was selling. I don't think we will ever see music that good on such a grand scale ever again.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline ironglows

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
Here's a number you may find more familiar.  When my grandson was on his first tour of duty in Iraq as a Special Ops Marine.
  I don't know what the occasion was, but it was during the big Sunni insurrection there i Al Anbar province, but it so happened there was a large gathering of exclusively Special Ops troops..Rangers, Green Berets , Seals, Marine MARSOC and etc.

Being all in one place (Al Asad Marine air base), with a bit of spare time one evening, they organized a jam session.  Here my grandson played what may be a familiar tune..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkqa5i2d4g

Videography and sound not the best..since it was done via cell phone.  That was 2005-2006, when he was about 19..

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 03:26:23 AM »

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 03:32:21 AM »

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
The Petersens:

Band history
In 2005 the band was formed and had their first performance at their mother's hometown church First Christian Church at Mountain Grove, MO.

The band was originally siblings Katie (on fiddle, vocals), Ellen (on banjo, vocals), their brother Matt (on bass), and their youngest sister Julianne (sings and dance), accompanied by their mother Karen (on mandolin) and father Jon (on guitar). But over time, Julianne took the mandolin part and Karen switched to bass. Matt took the guitar part and their father, Jon, played the piano on some of the gospel songs. These early performances were mostly held initially in local festivals, churches and cafes.[2]

In 2010 the band won the CAM Gospel Sing-Off[3] competition at the Sight & Sound Theatre in Branson, which performance caught the attention of the IMAX Entertainment Complex and where they were invited to play regularly at the Little Opry Theater for the entertainment of local and state residents.[4] In 2015, the band received international recognition when banjo player, Ellen Petersen, competed in the singing reality TV show, American Idol, placing in the top 48[5][6][7][8][9] In 2017, Emmett Franz[10] joined the band as their dobro player.[2]

In 2018 the band placed 4th in the International Bluegrass Music Competition in Nashville.[11]

Katie, the lead singer and composer, has composed several original songs of her own, the most popular being "California".

The band, although young and upcoming, has garnered praise from top music professionals in the United Kingdom, who see the group as being unique in the field of bluegrass music.[12] So, too, Tripadvisor, has posted a reference to The Petersens as a suggested entertainment venue when visiting Branson, MO.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
But, this scene from the movie Heavy Metal was pretty cool when I was a kid.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
We all remember this one Especially now. A lot of vets here, they remember.

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
  For me, virtually none of the new stuff does have that effect. In fact, I am rarely moved by the older stuff, because i am just not very "musical" in my nature.

I find it completely puzzling when we so often see a person who, all alone when some peppy music comes on, 'goes spastic', gyrating wildly, flinging their arms and legs all about as if out of control!

What moves me most, I guess is some of the old songs which bring back memories of my late wife.  Memories of our meeting, courtship and married life.
 Nearly the same are certain hymns and certain martial music, which provoke thought, but not any urge to dance or other gyrations.

Gee, I didn't know there were Lyrics to STB...Not Bad....But It don't beat the Pipes!

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »

And this one even today.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »

How about this one IG, its from your time and i really like it. Music spans the decaides

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »

This one from Germany was a popular one in the US in its day. Folks preferred the German version over the English.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 08:33:12 AM »

You old rockers remember this gal?

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »

Any Cherokee here? I know some of you say you have it in your bloodline.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 09:03:01 AM »

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »

It's all music, I tried to categorize it on TOS. But the site trolls attacked me for that.
So now it's an ensemble genre.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »

Gee, I didn't know there were Lyrics to STB...Not Bad....But It don't beat the Pipes!
   There are other sets of lyrics to STB !  Here is what I guess is the original lyrics.  With any of the lyrics, it is still a stirring musical piece.  I like the way the vocalist handles the words, he must be a Scot, for the way he rolls his "Rs" !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5fy3vIpf10