Author Topic: Music  (Read 35 times)

Online Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
Music
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
Music once touched our souls and excited us. Every human emotion. Made us cry, laugh,love, sing, and remember. This new stuff doesn't. It doesn't even ring a bell.

Offline ironglows

• A Real Regular
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
  For me, virtually none of the new stuff does have that effect. In fact, I am rarely moved by the older stuff, because i am just not very "musical" in my nature.

I find it completely puzzling when we so often see a person who, all alone when some peppy music comes on, 'goes spastic', gyrating wildly, flinging their arms and legs all about as if out of control!

What moves me most, I guess is some of the old songs which bring back memories of my late wife.  Memories of our meeting, courtship and married life.
 Nearly the same are certain hymns and certain martial music, which provoke thought, but not any urge to dance or other gyrations.

Appropriate lyrics helps too, such as this rendition of "Scotland the Brave"..
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4
If everyone is thinking the same...somebody isn't thinking!  Gen George S Patton

Online Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »
IG, that's very nice. It's what you like. Others have what they like. The problem is, where has the music gone?

Offline ironglows

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »
  I have heard it asked, "what happened to the melody?"  As I said, I am not at all musical..no "music" in me..  But I know something is very much missing in today's music..especially in "contemporary Christian" music.

It must be the melody that has gone AWOL !
If everyone is thinking the same...somebody isn't thinking!  Gen George S Patton

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:35:40 AM »
  I find it completely puzzling when we so often see a person who, all alone when some peppy music comes on, 'goes spastic', gyrating wildly, flinging their arms and legs all about as if out of control! -- LOL, I remember when there was AIR BAND competition, which I thought was silly at best but I miss the days when youth were doing that verses today.
Raising the drinking age to 21 has made them SO MUCH better.  >:(

What moves me most, I guess is some of the old songs which bring back memories ....
I have never paid attention to to the lyrics of songs, until this year when I can find them on the net (I actually look to see what they were saying in a lot of songs whose tune I liked.)

BUT hearing songs from the past, the tune, NOT the lyrics, does affect my state of mind, or mood.
I do listen to some college alternative stations as the often the basic arrangements are similar to those I heard often 25-45 years ago when I used to cruise the Twin Cities by myself on the radio or even in some venues I was in.
I have found in Christian music, the stuff I liked in church sixty years ago, comforts me, but some of he choirs or what ever they are on radio, seem oblivious to what being tone deaf means.
I have one Christmas album entirely by a tone deaf church choir,  :o m you often get what you pay for at antique stores. 8)[/size]