Author Topic: 6.5 Grendel and Nosler  (Read 907 times)

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
6.5 Grendel and Nosler
« on: August 29, 2020, 06:23:23 AM »
Well, gee!  I just loaded up the last of my supply of 120 grain Nosler BTs.  Checking in with my usual suppliers (Midsouth, Natchez, Midway) it seems like those are now out of stock.  :(

Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 6.5 Grendel and Nosler
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
luckily I got 10 boxes of 100 grain bts. I think nos even discontinued that bullet. Its worked like gang busters on deer so far this year. 9 shots 9 kills and only one made it out of the field and that one only went about 30 yards into the woods. Longest shot was 290 yards. Closest was 150.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 12:16:51 AM »
I usually have very good accuracy with these bullets but in my Grendel's, one bolt and one MSR, they don't shoot very well at all? It's really odd, as they shot so well in most every other guns I've used them in. Not un useably inaccurate, but they're not nearly as accurate as other manufactures boolits in these Grendals.. My 6.5/06 for example shoots them almost single hole. My Old Sweede loved the 120bt.

I use the Sierra 120 PRO Hunter now. The Gold Dot is awesome for accuracy but fragile past 2500 fps. The SST is also fragile for my liking. But if you keep them under 2500 they are great too.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »
petty tough to get a 120 much over 2500 fps in a grendel anyway. I was running the 100 bts at just over 2700 and they worked just like bts do in about anything. They do damage and kill deer.  Just what i want in a bullet. Personaly on 25 and 24 cals i prefer a more explosive bullet because bullets like the barnes x and nos partitions tend to blow right through deer with little damage and hard to track blood trails. Id rather loose a few lbs of burger then loose a whole deer. Only exception i make to that is the 257wby. It can be just to fast for fragile bullet designs and has enough speed to get some damage even with x bullets. Now i havent killed anything with it but my new 6.5-300wby is going in the field loaded with bts too but not 100s! The load it liked best was with the 130 bt. I know that sure wont be a 50 yard deer load! But that gun and load will do special duty when i have a field to hunt that has shots routinely at 300-500 yards. When i set up in a field like that i take another gun for shorter shots.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:57:13 AM »
Thats gonna be a SMOKER!!!  My Grendel now is a Howa Mini Bolt gun so I can seat quite long. I have gotten to 2650+ with a 120 GD.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 11:03:30 PM »
a howa or american are on my short list. I kind of fell in love with that little grendel round.
blue lives matter