Author Topic: Having a problem with savage 17HMR  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Sandhillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Having a problem with savage 17HMR
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »
Went out shooting Saturday, one thing I took was my savage 17HMR, I set 5 clay targets on a bank at around 40 yards and started shooting at them offhand. Broke all 5 in 7 shots, but I wanted to check it on paper as I was going to start using a different round. Set up a target and backed off to 100 yards. Holy cow!-! It was shooting about 8 feet to the right. I have no idea what is going on with it, any help on here 2ould be appreciated.

Offline ironglows

Re: Having a problem with savage 17HMR
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
You may want to test further, but for sure you have found that your rifle prefers one round over another.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Sandhillbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:00 AM »
That very well could be

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:37:36 AM »
My personal observation having owned a grand total of one Savage .17 HMR is they are pretty lousy excuses for a rifle. Mine never would shoot for crap. But I had a Marlin and it shot no better. After two tries I gave up on the HMR and have never owned another since.

I think it might have been the only Savage rifle I've ever owned tho I did once own a Stevens and I think they were owned by Savage at that time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglows

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
I had 2 .17 HMR rifles, one an H&R, the other a Savage, both extremely accurate.  As i my habit, I gave one to my son, the other to a grandson...and have been .17less for about 2 years.

About 2 weeks ago, I was strolling through a Wally World, and spied a new Savage .17 HMR..heavy barrel, nice wood stock..for $199.  I bought it, even though it did not have an accutrigger.  I smoothed it some, but may send the trigger assy off to my gunsmith grandson, for fine tuning.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 11:54:45 PM »
Ammo would be my last thought on any gun shooting 8' to the right. Something is loose or broken.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:45:37 AM »
Ammo would be my last thought on any gun shooting 8' to the right. Something is loose or broken.
  Correct; I only pointed that out to say no use trying that particular round any further.  Actually, I  expect my 17s and even my .22s to shoot closer at 50 yards than what was realized with that gun.
  If nothing seems broken or loose..I would to look at the barrel crown for starters.

Sandhillbilly didn't say that it was a new to him gun, and the crown can easily get damaged without one realizing they bumped it !

Offline Sandhillbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
  Correct; I only pointed that out to say no use trying that particular round any further.  Actually, I  expect my 17s and even my .22s to shoot closer at 50 yards than what was realized with that gun.
  If nothing seems broken or loose..I would to look at the barrel crown for starters.

Sandhillbilly didn't say that it was a new to him gun, and the crown can easily get damaged without one realizing they bumped it !

I've had this rifle for years, it has always been extremely accurate. I'm going to have to start checking things I guess, starting with the scope and mounts.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
Good place to start..redo it all with Locktite.  If that does it, great.. but if the problem persists, I would check the crown.  You can examine it for any dents or deformations, just as a starter.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
That .17 HMR I bought recently, I posted here in another thread, which I cannot find.  ..But it was quite a deal.
  I spied it at Wally World, beautiful wood stock, nicely checkered, and heat varmint barrel.

When I asked the price, and the man said $199...it didn't go back in the rack...it went home with me!  One sticking point...no Accutrigger, which I like.  ..But I had a cure for that, my gunsmith grandson.
  Sent it to him in Missouri..got it back yesterday, and just put it in tonight.
   I don't need any Accutrigger for that rifle now, since he pulled his magic..a smooth, effortless takeup and the trigger breaks like a glass cobweb!  Just couldn't ask for more !

Now, with a 4-16X40 with AO mounted....just waiting for the weather to cooperate to sight it in !