Author Topic: Having a problem with savage 17HMR  (Read 160 times)

Online Sandhillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Having a problem with savage 17HMR
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »
Went out shooting Saturday, one thing I took was my savage 17HMR, I set 5 clay targets on a bank at around 40 yards and started shooting at them offhand. Broke all 5 in 7 shots, but I wanted to check it on paper as I was going to start using a different round. Set up a target and backed off to 100 yards. Holy cow!-! It was shooting about 8 feet to the right. I have no idea what is going on with it, any help on here 2ould be appreciated.

Online ironglows

• A Real Regular
Re: Having a problem with savage 17HMR
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
You may want to test further, but for sure you have found that your rifle prefers one round over another.
If everyone is thinking the same...somebody isn't thinking!  Gen George S Patton

Online Sandhillbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:00 AM »
That very well could be

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:37:36 AM »
My personal observation having owned a grand total of one Savage .17 HMR is they are pretty lousy excuses for a rifle. Mine never would shoot for crap. But I had a Marlin and it shot no better. After two tries I gave up on the HMR and have never owned another since.

I think it might have been the only Savage rifle I've ever owned tho I did once own a Stevens and I think they were owned by Savage at that time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online ironglows

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
I had 2 .17 HMR rifles, one an H&R, the other a Savage, both extremely accurate.  As i my habit, I gave one to my son, the other to a grandson...and have been .17less for about 2 years.

About 2 weeks ago, I was strolling through a Wally World, and spied a new Savage .17 HMR..heavy barrel, nice wood stock..for $199.  I bought it, even though it did not have an accutrigger.  I smoothed it some, but may send the trigger assy off to my gunsmith grandson, for fine tuning.
If everyone is thinking the same...somebody isn't thinking!  Gen George S Patton

Offline neckisred

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 11:54:45 PM »
Ammo would be my last thought on any gun shooting 8' to the right. Something is loose or broken.

Online ironglows

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:45:37 AM »
Ammo would be my last thought on any gun shooting 8' to the right. Something is loose or broken.
  Correct; I only pointed that out to say no use trying that particular round any further.  Actually, I  expect my 17s and even my .22s to shoot closer at 50 yards than what was realized with that gun.
  If nothing seems broken or loose..I would to look at the barrel crown for starters.

Sandhillbilly didn't say that it was a new to him gun, and the crown can easily get damaged without one realizing they bumped it !

Online Sandhillbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
  Correct; I only pointed that out to say no use trying that particular round any further.  Actually, I  expect my 17s and even my .22s to shoot closer at 50 yards than what was realized with that gun.
  If nothing seems broken or loose..I would to look at the barrel crown for starters.

Sandhillbilly didn't say that it was a new to him gun, and the crown can easily get damaged without one realizing they bumped it !

I've had this rifle for years, it has always been extremely accurate. I'm going to have to start checking things I guess, starting with the scope and mounts.

Online ironglows

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
Good place to start..redo it all with Locktite.  If that does it, great.. but if the problem persists, I would check the crown.  You can examine it for any dents or deformations, just as a starter.