Author Topic: .350 Legend Vs .450 Bushmaster: Does One Win Out For Hunting?  (Read 5664 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
.350 Legend Vs .450 Bushmaster: Does One Win Out For Hunting?
« on: August 13, 2020, 03:24:20 AM »
https://gundigest.com/article/350-legend-vs-450-bushmaster-does-one-win-out-for-hunting

By Elwood Shelton - June 19, 2020

The Hornady .450 Bushmaster round put to the test.

New against established straight-wall deer slayers, which comes out on top in .350 Legend vs .450 Bushmaster?

How We Measure The .350 Legend Vs .450 Bushmaster:

Ballistics

Recoil

Rifles

Cost

A talk on straight-wall cartridges is, for the most part, a regional discussion. Not that it hurts to have a rifle chambered for one in your arsenal if you live big county out West. It’s an interesting and unique addition and most are mighty fun to shoot. But for overall practicality, straight-wall cartridges are a topic for the good folks around the Great Lakes region.

In the past decade, state wildlife management agencies in the region have opened what were once shotgun-only deer grounds to rifles chambered for straight-wall cartridges. Ever perceptive, the market has responded by expanding this somewhat forgotten corner of the firearms world. Perhaps the most notable in recent years has been the .350 Legend. Plenty of fanfare and spilled ink has greeted the latest and greatest do-all deer medicine. But does it deserve the attention?

One sure way to cut through some of the tall grass is measure it against an established cartridge that’s already proven its worth. And when it comes to straight-wall Midwestern deer options that would be the .450 Bushmaster. A behemoth by any standard, the large-bore rifle cartridge has been the go-to for many if not most hunters around the shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Erie up to this point.

So when it comes to the .350 Legend vs .450 Bushmaster, is there any discernable advantage of hunting one or the other?

Matching Them Up

Since the topic is hunting, we’ve selected two respected hunting rounds in common weights for calibers and with similar style bullets to side-by-side the cartridges. In the .450 Bushmaster’s corner is Hornady’s 250-grain FTX load, which has a listed muzzle velocity of 2,200 fps, is topped with a flex-tip bullet and has a ballistic coefficient (BC) of .210. For the .350 Legend, the ammo of choice is Winchester’s 150-grain Deer Season XP, with a listed muzzle velocity of 2,325 fps and a BC of .223. The data in both cases are from a 20-inch barrel, which is somewhat common in the field and is the standard test length utilized by most ammunition companies.

.350 Legend vs .450 Bushmaster Ballistics

At reasonable straight-wall cartridge hunting distances, for both velocity and trajectory, there is no real out-and-out winner between .450 Bushmaster vs .350 Legend. Both shed velocity like mad, the Legend losing 29-percent of its muzzle velocity at the 200-yard mark and the Bushmaster 31 percent—1,648 fps and 1,515 fps respectively. Still, the clip each moves at this range is more than adequate to ensure satisfactory penetration, proper bullet expansion (if you are using such a projectile) and an ethical kill.

The .350 Legend Winchester load put to the test.

As far as trajectory, both start to drop excessively at 200 yards, 7.58 inches on a scope zeroed for 100 yards in the .350’s case and 8.96 in the .450’s. Yes, the Legend does tend to shoot a fraction flatter at distance, but not substantially so. In terms of maximum point-blank range, it’s only a 16-yard difference on a 14-inch target (roughly the size of a small deer’s vital zone). Or more plainly speaking, you’d dial a scope on a Bushmaster up .2-inch more than on the Legend when sighting in at 100 yards.

There is a difference between the two, and the edge goes to the .350 Legend, but it doesn’t have such an overwhelming advantage to say it’s hands-down better.

.450 Bushmaster Vs .350 Legend Recoil

Often overlooked, much to the detriment of the hunter, is how much “kick” they’ll endure from a particular rifle-cartridge combination. Certainly, some pride themselves in how much recoil they can endure. That’s fine and dandy. More power to them. But if you get behind the business end of a gun you dread to drop the hammer on, you’re sandbagging your potential in the field. It won’t matter a lick how far a cartridge can send a bullet and how devastating its terminal ballistics are once at its destination if you develop a flinch and send it anywhere but the vital zone.

As it concerns .350 Legend vs .450 Bushmaster, the smaller-caliber cartridge has a decided advantage.

Utilizing a lighter bullet with a smaller powder charge, it can generally be said it produces less recoil. Absolutely, it depends on what rifle you use—more exactly its weight—as to how many foot-pounds of energy will jolt into your shoulder. But the .450 Bushmaster and .350 Legend are chambered in very similar rifles, some from the same line with minuscule differences. They track closely in weight, thus when chambered Legend tend to be more pleasurable to shoot.

And truly, it is a pleasurable cartridge, very much akin to the .30-30, which by almost anyone’s standard is extremely manageable. Benefits abound with a tamer rifle. Not only does it reduce the possibility of developing a flinch, but it also improves the ability of the average hunter to deliver an accurate follow-up shot. That said, the Bushmaster—while stout—isn’t the North American version of the .500 Nitro Express. Shoot it enough and know what to expect and it shouldn’t prove prohibitive, except to the most recoil shy.

.350 Legend vs .450 Bushmaster Rifles

Again, there isn’t a bright clear advantage when it comes to rifles chambered for cartridges. Much of this is attributable to the Legend and Bushmaster competing for the same hunters. Why wouldn’t they be in similar rifles?

Ruger Ranch Rifle in .450 Bushmaster

It goes so far as, previously mentioned, manufacturers offering the same model rifle in both .450 Bushmaster and .350 Legend. For instance, Ruger chambers its American Ranch rifle for both cartridges, with few differences between the two.

If there is an apparent divide in .450 Bushmaster vs .350 Legend rifles it’s muzzle devices and barrel contour. By and large, .450 Bushmaster rifles are outfitted with medium to heavy contour barrels, a function of its large bore. Additionally, but not across the board, many are factory outfitted with muzzle brakes to help mitigate some of the angry mule in the cartridge-rifle combination.

On the other hand, the Legend is available with thinner sporter contour barrels. And, outside a flash hider on an AR, don’t usually come with a muzzle device standard.

.450 Bushmaster Vs .350 Legend Cost
Rubber meet road, because if there is anyone point in .450 Bushmaster vs .350 Legend battle where one wins out, it’s here.

For all the .450 Bushmaster’s assets, economic shooting isn’t one of them. On average, factory loaded ammo for the beast rings up north of $1 per trigger pull, which in a word is spendy. The .350 Legend is a blue-light special (if you remember that analogy) in comparison. Year-round, you can find ammo at less than 50₵ per round, which isn’t 5.56 NATO cheap, but is thrifty.

One other advantage of the .350 Legend not mentioned in the text, greater magazine capacity.

The only way to get near that with a Bushy is to load your own ammo. Now I won’t dissuade anyone from getting involved with reloading ammunition. It’s great skill and potentially one of the best hobbies you’ll ever pick up. But in all honesty, it isn’t for everyone—be it due to tight quarters or time constraints. Therefore, some might be stuck with the full Bushmaster tab.

Parting Shot

When it comes to .450 Bushmaster vs .350 Legend, is there a clear winner? If your pocketbook is tight or you don’t appreciate your shoulder getting thumped, then I suppose there is. The .350 Legend takes it easier on each by a fairly wide margin.

On the other hand, performance-wise, the dividing line is thin enough so it's difficult to tip fence-sitters one way or another. That’s alright. The hunting world is big enough for both the .450 Bushmaster and .350 Legend, and either will put meat on the table. In the end that’s what counts.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: .350 Legend Vs .450 Bushmaster: Does One Win Out For Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:59:36 PM »
until I get so old that recoil bothers me ill take the 450 hands down over the 350. Recoil is the only real advantage to a 350. The 450 intimidates some but the reality is it doesn't kick anymore then a 308 or 06 to me and in one of those ported ruger americans its more like something like a 257 roberts or 708
blue lives matter

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
Old topic, but I think its relevant now that the 350 Legend has been out for awhile.  My son got a Ruger .450 Bushmaster, not for hunting in one of the states that allow deer hunting with a straight walled cartridge, but for bear hunting in Pa, which I believe works well for that. the rifle handles easy, and the recoil is not bad at all.  If I didn't have a 45-70 for woods hunting, I would certainly think about getting a 450. I have read articles that say the ballistics are not much different. When I see velocity from the 450 higher at 100 yards with a 250g bullet, the the 350 with a 180g bullets, that is a lot of difference to me.  Plus the added energy you get from the 450.
I guess they want to see sales of the 350 Legend take off like the 450 Bushmaster did. I can't see it happening. Ruger has sold a ton of the 450 rifles to people that live in Ohio alone.  Along with other states that have now allowed the use of a straight walled rifle cartridges for deer hunting. I just can't see the 350 ever catching up, or even being popular.  If you can have a 450 bushmaster. What would you ever want a 350 Legend for. I suppose if you are recoil sensitive then the 350 might be better, but really the 450 is not even close to what I would call a heavy recoiling rifle.   

.450 Bushmaster, 250 grain FTX

Muzzle - 2100 fps / 2448 ft. lbs.
    100 yards - 1745 fps / 1691 ft. lbs.
    190 yards - 1467 fps / 1196 ft. lbs.

.350 Legend, Winchester 180 grain PP

Muzzle - 2000 fps / 1599 ft. lbs.
    100 yards - 1673 fps / 1119 ft. lbs.
    185 yards - 1432 fps / 819 ft. lbs.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
Most hunters in the straightwall states had shot 12 & 20 gauge slug guns for years, so the recoil of the 450 isn't a big deal. The 350 is plenty for deer, but the 450 anchors them a little better in my first hand experience.

Offline Moleman

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 11:12:29 AM »
My experience has been much like neckisred.  Grew up hunting deer with 12ga and only got to use rifles when hunting someplace else.  When MI changed the rules for the limited "shotgun" zone in 2014 I had a 357AR (very similar to 350L) straight walled rifle ready to go and got a buck with it that year.  Made one for my 12 year old son for the next season while I used a different wildcat (keep it in the rotation through).  Light recoil and he has done well with it on deer out to 150yards.  2018 we both got a deer moments apart with a 357AR.  The next year we did the same thing with 450BM rifles.  The 450BM seemed to drop them with a classic heart/lung shot slightly faster, but they all dropped within eyesight.  The spot we hunt has shot opportunities well past the ideal range of either cartridge but coming from a 12ga slug background we set up our stands so our shots will most likely be under 150yards which is still further than we set up for with slugs. Both have a similar trajectory and can be zeroed in so that you can aim straight on out to 150yds before you need to start correcting for any drop. 

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 02:29:37 PM »
I also hunted the bruised ego/shoulder 12 gauge 3” mags for years until I loaned my dad my shotgun to hunt with (never felt recoil shooting a deer). and used my encore mz all season and never went back until recently picked up a 375 Winchester barrel 20” mgm and must say I like it more than the mz because I can load it easier and faster... may even move to a semi auto, lever or pump gun. Just because I can...

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:35 AM »
Those who have not experienced sighting in a 12 gauge slug gun, don't know what their missing.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline DDZ

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 04:20:25 AM »
Those who have not experienced sighting in a 12 gauge slug gun, don't know what their missing.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That is for sure. ;D  After people were able to get the 450 BM for hunting, im sure they were happy to put the 12 gauge slug gun down.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline ironglows

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »
  I have a rifle like the one pictured, and I like it.  Recoil..somewhere around a 30/06 and 12 ga slug.

Of course, the muzzle brake helps with the recoil..but the muzzle brake makes it obvious you should wear ear protection.

I haven't shot any game with it yet, but I expect it will be much better for knockdown than the.44 mag rifles I have owned, which I consider 'great stoppers" on deer etc.!

So far as the number of rounds the magazine holds, how many do you need?  In my big game rifles of the past, my Marlin 336, Ruger American.308, or this Bushmaster, I  never loaded more than 2-3 rounds at a time.

"There is no substitute for shot placement !" 
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 11:08:15 AM »

That is for sure. ;D  After people were able to get the 450 BM for hunting, im sure they were happy to put the 12 gauge slug gun down.
I had been shooting a 20ga slug gun for about 10 years before Ohio went straightwall. It was a lot easier on the shoulder than the 12, but still no cupcake. I killed truck loads of deer with slug guns, but I sure don't miss them a bit. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »

I had been shooting a 20ga slug gun for about 10 years before Ohio went straightwall. It was a lot easier on the shoulder than the 12, but still no cupcake. I killed truck loads of deer with slug guns, but I sure don't miss them a bit. ;D ;D ;D
Yep. Even that 20 will rock you to your heels...

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 04:23:04 AM »
  I REALLY dislike recoil, so make mine the 350...

It has plenty of power for deer, I just don't need more than "that" to kill a deer or a black bear, and the 350 shoots flatter.

This business about never feeling recoil when shooting deer, what about practice??  You guys don't practice with your hunting rifle??

DM

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 07:39:01 AM »
  I REALLY dislike recoil, so make mine the 350...

It has plenty of power for deer, I just don't need more than "that" to kill a deer or a black bear, and the 350 shoots flatter.

This business about never feeling recoil when shooting deer, what about practice??  You guys don't practice with your hunting rifle??

DM
Of course we do. We have only recently been allowed to use straight wall cartridges in a rifle platform. A couple of the posts make it obvious we feel recoil while practicing. K? Posts 6,7,8.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »
I don’t own either but a close friend has both in Ruger ranch rifles. Even though the 350 uses .356 dia. bullets he has loaded .357 diameter jacketed and they shoot great in his Ruger. He has killed deer with both and handloads for both and with the Barnes XPB 240 gr. has a 450 Bushmaster load that shoots 1/2” MOA and drops deer like lightning strikes.
I personally don’t like the idea of the cartridge head spacing on the case mouth but it does work and I guess if you load the casings over and over you would need to trim them to keep them equal length.
I have 3 rifles chambered in 357 maximum and there isn’t enough difference between it and the Legend to speculate about but I like it very well and is everything I need for 150 yards for deer.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. &20ga.,
H&R 45-70 trapdoors, officers model & Calvary Carbine, more recently 256 Winchester magnum,44 magnum Shikari, 7-30 Waters in the making.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 12:08:40 PM »
After thinking about the .356 bore I believe that is a better option than a larger bore. It will get bigger and never smaller unless it is fouled. So maybe not so bad... I don’t see one in my future. Butt ya never know...

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »
Curiosity. What will these two cartridges do that a rifle in 357 magnum, or 44 magnum won't do?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 12:54:05 PM »
Just a bit more...

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
Curiosity. What will these two cartridges do that a rifle in 357 magnum, or 44 magnum won't do?
In my opinion, about 100 more yards.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 03:44:36 PM »
In my opinion, about 100 more yards.

Work reliably out of an AR platform.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 03:47:27 PM »

I have several times. My 1100 Remington is 5 shots in 1 ragged hole at 50 yds with a 20" barrel modified choke. And the barrel ain't pinned.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 03:59:11 AM »

I have several times. My 1100 Remington is 5 shots in 1 ragged hole at 50 yds with a 20" barrel modified choke. And the barrel ain't pinned.
Being gas operated the recoil was a little more manageable with a 12ga 1100. The 1100's always shot pretty well and were very popular with the deer hunters around here. Paid $199 + tax for my first 1100 brand new.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 04:13:23 AM »
If ya want a lot of fun grab one of those light plastic stocked 12 ga break action 12 gauges and stuff some 3” magnum slugs in it and ease up behind it on a bench...

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 04:19:38 AM »
If ya want a lot of fun grab one of those light plastic stocked 12 ga break action 12 gauges and stuff some 3” magnum slugs in it and ease up behind it on a bench...

I will if you will, but you gotta go first  ;D ;D ;D ;D