Author Topic: some suprising results  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
some suprising results
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:28:22 PM »
took my ruger American 300 bo out yesterday to fool around with suppressed loads. Cool thing is you can load any bullet down in it because it doesn't have to run the action. I loaded my favorite 30 cal cast bullet. The rcbs 130 spitzer gas check, pc coated and gas checked with 3.6 grains of aa2. A pop gun load I didn't think would go even fast enough to stabilize. It shocked me. 5 shot groups at 50 yards were one hole groups. Hundred yards it dropped about 8 inches but still shot just over moa. Id like to say an inch but the average of 4 5shot groups was 1 1/16. cool thing is I have a Nikon 300 bo scope on it with the hash marks and the second has mark down is right on at a 100 yards. So I can shoot 50 or a 100 and then have my turnents zeroed for 120 barnes x bullets 2 inches high at a 100 (also moa) So its easy to switch back and forth. I still have to see where my full power 130 cast loads I use in my ar15s hit. I think for the most part this gun will see the pop gun loads. Ive already proved that the 300 bo is a legit deer rifle with my ars so I really don't have the need to turn it into a deer rifle. Its about like shooting a 22 and cost about the same and hits with MUCH more authority. My buddy was with me and he didn't put it down till all the ammo was gone. Its kind of comical shooting steel at a 100 yards when theres a delay between pulling the trigger and the bullet smacking the steel. Even without the suppressor its not much louder if any then a 22lr. Its more of dull boom then the crack of a 22lr. Buddy said hes going to see the dealer today and order an American of his own.
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: some suprising results
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 12:18:37 AM »
Lloyd: Have you chrono’d that load?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »
no ive got pos pact chronograph that seems to work about half the time. I have to go visit my buddy I a week or so and will use his ohler to test it and see. My guess is its running in the 800-850 fps range but its just a guess based of past experience.
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »
The reason that I asked was for sake of comparison. I load a cartridge for my T/C Contender that shoots .308 bullets at subsonic velocity....similar to what you are getting. I use a fast twist barrel (1-8”) to stabilize 168-180 gr. BTHPs. I have not tried cast bullets but now you have me thinking.
The load uses a .30 Luger case and 6.0 - 7.0 grs of H110.
What is the rifling twist in that Ruger?
Pete

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 01:46:32 AM »
heck pete I don't even know the twist rate. But im sure there twisted for heavys subsonic so anything lighter should be a walk in the park.
blue lives matter