Author Topic: DON’T AIM IN A GUNFIGHT  (Read 807 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
DON’T AIM IN A GUNFIGHT
« on: June 17, 2020, 10:32:55 AM »
https://www.thearmorylife.com/dont-aim-in-a-gunfight/

Editor’s Note: This is the sixth entry in our 12-part Armed & Ready series from Richard Nance and Handguns magazine. The series covers a range of personal defense and CCW topics.

Is there a time you should not aim your gun? While it’s more complicated than just that, the qualified answer can be “yes” based on the situation and the distance to your target. But let’s dive deeper into that.

In a close quarters self-defense situation, you might not have time to align your sights and aim. What do you do?

What we’re talking about is accuracy when engaging a target that is threatening you. This is practical accuracy rather than mechanical accuracy. Sure, your Springfield XD-M OSP 9mm might be able to hit a gnat’s posterior at 100 yards, but what can it hit when someone threatening you is only 3 yards away, and you need to draw and shoot?

When It Counts

There’s not a lot of time for deliberation when you’re in danger, and at ultra-close ranges there’s rarely time for a good sight picture. If you don’t have time to aim, you need to develop the skills needed to get rounds on target accurately and quickly.

A target that realistically represents a threat you might face is a must for this type of training.

I recommend a realistic target that represents the threat you are likely to face in a self-defense situation. This target will give you the means to realistically train to shoot at the ranges you might find yourself in a self-defense shooting situation.

Going the Distance

We mentioned ranges. At bad breath distances (i.e., three yards and closer), you may have little to no time to precisely aim. In these cases, you should draw, bring the gun up and try to get a flash sight picture and put rounds into the upper center of the target, giving you the largest target possible.

How long you can take to precisely aim is determined by the nature of the threat and its distance from you.

At a more distant threat, such as at 10 yards or so, you will want to slow down the process and aim more deliberately. Slow down just a bit, to make sure your rounds will hit. With the threat farther away, you theoretically should be able to spend that extra fraction of a second making your shot count.

If the threat is farther away, you will need to spend a fraction of a second longer to align your handgun on target and smoothly press the trigger.

When a threat is farther out, say at 15 to 20 yards, you will need to become even more deliberate in your shot. Get a solid sight picture and press the trigger smoothly and deliberately. I realize this is easy to say but much harder to do under stress, but training on the range can ingrain these skills into your muscle memory, and you will revert to those types of skills under stress.

A red dot on a pistol, like this Trijicon RMR mounted on an XD-M OSP 9mm Springfield Armory pistol, can make quicker shots easier.

The Why, Plus the How

You might ask why one would be dealing with a threat at the farther distances, versus an “immediate” threat up close. Each self-defense situation will differ, so it is hard to say definitively what you will face if you do end up in one. You may be facing a threat with a knife very close, or one with a gun at a farther distance. Also, it is a good idea to train for a range of possibilities so you won’t be caught unprepared if you do face the unexpected.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: DON’T AIM IN A GUNFIGHT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
Do you "aim" the bug spray at a spider, or the water hose at the cigarette butt on the driveway? No. Your brain, with practice can calculate how to make those hits with your pistol, too. The key word is practice.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
The key word is practice.

Amen...

Tony

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »
I was taught by a guy that forgot more then I know to aim but just use the front sight. A white or colored front sight that really stands out is the way to go. Ive practiced like that for 30 years or more and it is muscle memory now. I don't have to even think about it. Lots of the real gunfighters from back in the day would say that its not the fastest guy that wins a gun fight its the guy that actualy hits what hes aim at and takes time to insure it. None of us are wild bill hickock. Most under stress tend to spray and pray.  But if you practice ALOT front sight shooting is much more effective then just shoving a gun out there and pulling the trigger. It might work for someone who has hundreds of thousands of practice rounds but the average guy that shoots a couple hundred rounds (if that) a year should avoid the "don't aim" thing like the plague. It will get you killed.
blue lives matter

Offline The Old Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 04:20:35 PM »
As I said in another thread, I carry either a Shield, or my PPS M2 if I feel something could cause me to need to defend myself.

My number one concealed carry chioce is the PPS M2. Why? Because it points so naturally in many circumstance it is on the targeyt I'm looking at before I can confirm it using the sights!

My point is, if you have a sidearm that simply points where you look even before it's obvious to you, (the gun comes up and you find no need to correct the aim), THAT IS YOUR SD GUN OF CHOICE.
Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!