Author Topic: Your favorite Black powder?  (Read 917 times)

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Your favorite Black powder?
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
Some brands come and go, what are your favorites? I'll probable use 2f as an everything powder.
best wishes

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Your favorite Black powder?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:08:51 AM »
Goex has always worked for me. I run all 4 grades to accommodate my black powder toys from flintlocks to 3" mortars. I did try some Graf and Sons powder and it's been working fine, cheaper too. I have about 4 pounds of pyrodex that I bought because I can get it locally but don't use it, somehow it just doesn't seem "right" to me.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 04:36:01 AM »
Before I got on and after I got off that BP Substitute kick, I've always used plain Goex 2f and 3f.

Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, I have recently decided to give Old Eynsford 2f and 3f a try.

some day that is... gotta burn up some of what I got first... and be able to leave the house to go to the range...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:27:31 AM »
  "Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber"   I have always liked that.

I am the proud owner of a golf ball mortar from one of our beloved GB brothers and have no bigger than Goex 2 f, would even use it the 31 Colt that is about the smallest, going by Elmer Keith experience. In Sixguns he spoke of his early years and using 2 f for his .36 cal colt percussions.

It will be great to hear back about you range day, I have a new to me Musketoon that will be getting some quality time on the range soon.
best wishes

Offline Old and grumpy

• ADD 1200 POSTS FROM OLD GBO
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 07:28:41 AM »
Just came over from old GBO.   I have used 2f in everything from .36 and up and 3f from 12ga down to .22  NAA Super Companion.  2f in the .36 and .45s work but gum it up faster and has less punch over the same charge in 3f .  The .22 loads 4gr of 4f for best results under a 30gr bullet. The smaller calibers get dirty fast on the larger powders.
Proudly Deplorable-Proudly not Deportable

Offline Castaway

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:09:51 AM »
Right now I’m using Olde Eynesford for my 45-70.  For pistols, including cartridge and cap and ball, I find little difference in Goex and Wano/Schutzen. 

Offline Old and grumpy

• ADD 1200 POSTS FROM OLD GBO
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 08:43:49 AM »
I just like the word Schutzen.    I did try  Pyrodex pellets in some revolvers.  In the colts they did not always lite. In the Rogers and Spencer they were fine and easy to load.  I think it was the angle of the flash holes that made the difference.  In .45 CVA rifle and pistol they work if you load them on top of 3 or 4gr of 3f as a primer.  Better to just use powder.   Did  fire a few in the rifle with no ball just to see ;D.  Big fire ball no kick.  Looked good in the pictures.
Proudly Deplorable-Proudly not Deportable