Author Topic: Your favorite Black powder?  (Read 78 times)

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Your favorite Black powder?
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
Some brands come and go, what are your favorites? I'll probable use 2f as an everything powder.
best wishes

Offline northwoodneil

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your favorite Black powder?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:08:51 AM »
Goex has always worked for me. I run all 4 grades to accommodate my black powder toys from flintlocks to 3" mortars. I did try some Graf and Sons powder and it's been working fine, cheaper too. I have about 4 pounds of pyrodex that I bought because I can get it locally but don't use it, somehow it just doesn't seem "right" to me.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 04:36:01 AM »
Before I got on and after I got off that BP Substitute kick, I've always used plain Goex 2f and 3f.

Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, I have recently decided to give Old Eynsford 2f and 3f a try.

some day that is... gotta burn up some of what I got first... and be able to leave the house to go to the range...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:27:31 AM »
  "Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber"   I have always liked that.

I am the proud owner of a golf ball mortar from one of our beloved GB brothers and have no bigger than Goex 2 f, would even use it the 31 Colt that is about the smallest, going by Elmer Keith experience. In Sixguns he spoke of his early years and using 2 f for his .36 cal colt percussions.

It will be great to hear back about you range day, I have a new to me Musketoon that will be getting some quality time on the range soon.
best wishes