Author Topic: Current, not past, highest rated rim fire rifles.  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Current, not past, highest rated rim fire rifles.
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
Leaving  Ruger OUT of the discussion.What are the best of the current crop of rim fire .22 rifles, Long Rifle and even .22 Magnum?
I have not paid much attention to what is even available for a good decade now and last time I did Remington was selling several types , beyond the old 552, of which at least one had a bad report, plus back then Thompson was just bring out a new .22.What is the current story?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Current, not past top rim fire rifles.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:48:32 AM »
The 597 is prolly Remington's best seller these days, mostly because they've abandoned all the rest and given the market to Ruger.

I have and like the Marlin bolt guns. I have both .22LR and .22 Magnum versions. I really prefer tube fed rimfires far better than clip magazine guns. I'm sure their semiauto is likely the second best selling semi on the market these days behind Ruger.

I have owned the Magnum Research brand versions of the 10/22 in both .22LR and .22 Magnum. I sold them but have seen regretted that decision. I rate them absolutely top of the field.

I guess Marlin is still trying to sell their lever action but bet it's not moving well at the price they are asking.

Henry is big in the rimfire market and likely right behind Ruger in it. I have a lever action by them with octagon barrel I like.

The old Browning Lever, dunno if it's still being made, was to my thinking the best of the lever action rimfires ever.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 01:03:38 PM »
   If you say so I agree and am glad to hear it, i know my grandson has laid claim to mine, and I know he has developed an eye for taste and quality in firearms. It does point better that anything I have enjoyed shooting.

P.S. Have you tried the TC/ Ruger clone?

best wishes

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:20:36 PM »
I'll second Marlin bolt actions. I've had magazine fed and tube feed and prefer the tube so I can shoot 22 shorts if I want. The accuracy with shorts is not great but I have quite a supply of them to feed my old gallery guns.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:53:31 PM »
all I have left are 2 1022s and one smith ar22. Its a real reliable gun. Every bit as reliable and accurate as my rugers. grandkids love it too because it looks just like a real ar15
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 04:08:45 AM »
I gave my youngest grandson a S&W .22LR AR for CHRISTmas. It seems to be very accurate and fairly dependable. He likes it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
I recently built an AR22. Parts for it came from all over to keep the cost down. The barrel was from Velocity Arms and it seems to be pretty darn accurate. It's been to cold to shoot it from the bench to see what it can really do. It's minute of golf ball off hand at 25 yards.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 12:10:13 PM »
I'll second Marlin bolt actions. I've had magazine fed and tube feed and prefer the tube so I can shoot 22 shorts if I want. The accuracy with shorts is not great but I have quite a supply of them to feed my old gallery guns.
I have a very accurate Sears model 43 (marlin model 81).
I just gave a nephew my Savage MarkII and my Remington model 511, the model 511 is the most accurate of my rifles by far.  Plus the 25" barrel of the 511 got most of the advertised velocity out of Stingers. (1640 FPS was taken in a 26" barrel)
So, my vote goes to Remington for best quality of "past" rifles which us grunts can afford. :)

I re-read the op and have to say the my most accurate "current" rifle is my Cricket.
It's the only recent purchase. :)
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 11:35:06 AM »
I see Chiappa is the latest offering a .22 version of the WWII M1.I longed for one of those when I was in my teens and still am not beyond getting one.
Erma made one, the EM-1 for decades including a .22 magnum version; if I find one of those for decent price I may bite but used .22 prices have gone waaaaay up around here.

They cost a fortune now but I should get new Gun Digest to see most of what is for sale now in firearms.I did find:
     Volquartsen for $1,547

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 02:03:04 PM »

I recently purchased a new TCR 22 rifle by Thompson Center.  I am quite impressed with the rifle.  It does use their version of 10/22 action and interchanges .with 10/22 parts, including magazines , barrels, stocks, etc. 

TC did however, make many of the modifications standard which  folks have done to the 10/22 .  Threaded muzzle, Magpul stock, hole through the rear housing so a rod can come through the back etc. and mounted a great peep sight and front fire sight (green).

I have had my grandson, the gunsmith/weapons designer,  work over some 10/22s for me...he re-conformed the bolt for smoother operation...on examination, I found that TC had done the same to their bolt as a matter of production..

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/the-tcr22/

I had him rework the trigger so it  breaks at a perfect point.. and smooth as silk.

I'm very impressed, with the little shooting I have done so far this winter. I have a sneaking feeling that this rifle will become a favorite....so much so, that I pasted it up for my avatar..  ;) ;D

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 03:45:42 AM »
  Top in what way?

For me, "top" would mean Anschutz

or ULA,

DM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 04:10:04 AM »

Yes; the term "top" could be taken in more than one way, I guess I took it to mean what is the rimfire rifle we own, that we consider to be "tops" !

Of course, Anschutz would be way up there.  I have had a couple Anschutz rifles in .22 mag and they were no doubt, fine pieces.  I currently have one Anschutz .22 LR.. but I still lean toward my TCR 22..unless I find out differently !

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 05:19:14 AM »
  I prefer my ULA over my Anschutz 22's,  It really is a great 22 and so much fun to shoot...

DM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Re: Current, not past, highest rated rim fire rifles.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »

Nice looking rifle DM..does it shoot like an Annie ?

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »

Nice looking rifle DM..does it shoot like an Annie ?
  It should, but I don't actually know for sure, because I've never wrung it out.  I've just been plinking with it, although I have shot a few rabbits and other things with it.

DM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 12:46:45 AM »

I bet it will be really good !  Is that a Leupold rimfire 2-7 on it ? 

I chose the TCR 22 this time, because for what I plan to use it for, I want extremely quick follow up shots.

Offline littlecanoe

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 01:10:20 AM »
 Vudu 22 rifles have a reputation for amazing accuracy and are used for long distance 22 shooting. They come with a high price tag though. I’d love the opportunity to shoot one.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 06:55:34 AM »
  I bet it will be really good !  Is that a Leupold rimfire 2-7 on it ? 
  I chose the TCR 22 this time, because for what I plan to use it for, I want extremely quick follow up shots.
  It SHOULD shoot very good, with a threaded in Douglas premium air gauge bbl, bedded in a Melvin Forbes designed patented, carbon fiber/Kevlar stock, and precision built action he also designed and builds in house.  I ordered mine with a Jewel trigger...

I originally had a Nikon 22 scope in Tally/rings mounts on it, but I switched to the Leupold 22 scope and other rings/mounts after.  I like the Leupold much better...

He made it exactly the way I wanted it and I really enjoy just hunting and plinking with it.

BTW, Melvin is the one who designed the Tally rings/mounts, then later selling the design to Tally...

DM

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »
Vudu 22 rifles have a reputation for amazing accuracy and are used for long distance 22 shooting. They come with a high price tag though. I’d love the opportunity to shoot one.
Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Barreled Action

Offline ironglows

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
  One of the best shooting rifles I have had, was aa Marlin 880SQ, which I gave to my grandson.  It especially likes CCI standards.

I have heard very good reports about the Australian made Lithgow rifles.  Of course, they are premium priced, but if somebody is looking for something "new and different", they could be interesting.

[size=78%]http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/06/lithgow-la101-tack-driving-22-lr-bolt-action-from-australia/#:~:text=22%20WMR%20and%2017%20HMR,and%20a%20durable%2C%20Cerakote%20finish.[/size]

"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Casull

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 05:52:51 PM »
I have a few rimfire rifles, but my favorite (and most accurate) by far is the CZ 452 American.  Graceful looks and more accurate than me.  When I do my part it will group five at fifty yards you can cover with a dime.
Aim small, miss small!!!