Author Topic: Sighting options  (Read 1785 times)

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Sighting options
« on: December 04, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »
Gun: Rossi 92 20" 357 Mag
Current Sight System: Factory
Primary Uses: range toy and hunting

Today with PMC Bronze 158 JSP and factory sights, I was able to manage 2-3" groups at 100 yards from a bench rest. It was slow and very deliberate. Quick fire I was getting the same at 25 yards off hand. The most common use for this rifle will be at the range, but I want something more precise (and faster to align) for longer distance shooting. I will be loading full power loads for hunting, walkabout on farms, and the longer berms at the range just because. I will also be loading 38spcl level loads in Mag brass for range fun and the lower noise. I want to keep it as light and trim as possible, yet keep the sighting system flexible. Would the bolt mounted or barrel mounted Skinner style peep do the job better? Aside from those, would a bridge style peep over the rear of the bolt possibly be better? Tang sight? I may also switch to a blade front sight to be more precise.

What suggestions do you have?
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sighting options
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 11:39:45 PM »
Of the options you list, a tang would allow for more accurate shooting because of the longer sight radius.  If you decide on a tang, I highly recommend a Marble over a Lyman.  A Marble allows for click windage adjustments and the post doesn’t wobble.  The down side is it takes some getting used to when carrying because it’s mounted just forward of the balance and subject to being snagged.  Second in my opinion would be a receiver mounted sight that allows for different sized apertures to adjust for different light conditions