Author Topic: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Savage Arms  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
10 Things You Didn't Know About Savage Arms
« on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:27 AM »
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/8/22/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-savage-arms/

by Connor McKibbin - Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Savage Arms has a long, though not so well-known history in the firearms industry. It’s more than likely that a few interesting facts have passed under the radar. Here are 10 things you likely didn’t know about Savage. (Bonus: You can see some of these tidbits at the Savage museum, located at the company’s manufacturing plant in Westfield, Mass.).

1. In 1891, founder of the company Arthur William Savage received a patent for his first rifle design—a lever-action repeater with a single-column magazine. Savage’s most popular lever-gun, the Model 99, was a refinement of that early rifle, recognized most for its use of the now-famous rotary magazine.

2. In 1894, Arthur Savage formed the Savage Repeating Arms Company in Utica, New York. In 1897, Savage went public and incorporated with eight primary shareholders. With the new business partners on board, the company was rebranded as Savage Arms.

3. Savage wasn’t solely in the business of manufacturing firearms; the company also produced ammo for a few years starting in 1895, hence the classic .300 Savage cartridge. While ammo manufacturing and firearm production obviously goes hand-in-hand, the Savage brand included a few other unique items later down the line, such as safes, lawn mowers, ab workout machines and washing machines.

4. In 1915, Savage Arms was bought by the Driggs Seabury-Ordinance Co., and shortly thereafter began to produce heavy war materials for WWI. Savage also purchased Stevens Arms Company of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts in 1920 and A.H. Fox Gun Company of Philadelphia, a decade later.

5. The production of rifles used in World War II is also key component of the Savage Arms story. No longer associated with its founder, Savage Arms continued making firearms that would become known world-wide for their uses in Europe. It partnered with Auto Ordinance Company in 1938 to produce the famous Thompson submachine gun. Two years later, it also won a contract from the U.S. government to produce both 30- and 50-caliber Browning machine guns. The British also gave Savage a contract to produce Lee Enfield rifles out of the Stevens Arms Company in 1941. With the war in full swing, 1.2 million Lee Enfield rifles were produced in record time.

6. Despite technological advancements over the last 60 years, some tools are made to last. While several of the machines at the current manufacturing plant in Westfield, Mass. are new, Savage Arms still uses two old machines crated prior to World War I and imported from Germany to button-rifle and hand-straighten barrels. How does it work? Through the use of a light board, specially trained employees visually inspect the reflection made by the rifling as they look down the bore. The straightening machine is used to make the barrel as straight as possible until the operator sees the proper reflection indicating the barrel is straight.

7. In 1946, Savage closed its Utica, N.Y. facility and moved all operations to the Stevens plant in Chicopee Falls, which then consolidated once more in 1960 to the current Savage Arms plant in Westfield, Mass., where production continues today.

8. Speaking of plants, Savage not only has the facility in Westfield, but it also another factory just across America’s northern border in Ontario that focuses solely on rimfire production.

9. Though full of history, Savage Arms isn’t stuck in the past. In more recent times, the company has pushed the envelope on innovation, releasing its Modern Sporting Rifle (MSR) line last year as well as its new Model 110 with AccuFit System in early 2018.

10. The next couple years are major milestones for Savage Arms. 2018 is the 60th anniversary of the Model 10/110, and next year marks the company’s 125th anniversary.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Savage Arms
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
Another good read. 8)

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 01:26:16 AM »
I agree with Bob. Good article on Savage. I bought my Grandson a Savage stevens 320 shotgun, made in china but it has exceeded my expectations fully. Wished it was made in the US but that's another topic. Also bought my Grandaughter a Savage 64, made in Canada, another good gun. Both didn't break the bank and provided my Grandkids shooting opportunities. Thanks Savage and Bill.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:20:59 AM »
I just bought a Turkish made Stevens 555 in 28 gauge. Cheap money for an O/U, decent wood and finish. My only complaint is one of the chokes has damaged threads and won't thread in all the way. I emailed Savage and they want me to send the whole gun in for a bad choke instead of just sending me a new choke. I think I'm just going to clean the threads up myself.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline ironglows

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:22:58 AM »
  I love my Savage rifles...but i suspect most know by now..the Indian head is gone..  Apparently , in an effort to head off trouble at the pass, Savage has changed their logo.
  No matter that the founder of the company was named Savage, or that Chief Lame Deer gave the company permission to use his likeness, with all the "offended" people around these days..it would only be a matter of time.

...And surely Savage Arms has more worthwhile things to do than to fight with a roving band of "cancel culture" savages!
  If you have some guns with the Indian head on them, you may want to think about keeping them.

Here is both the old and new logos.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=savage+arms+new+logo&sxsrf=ALeKk02wd77sRE8NwjC1XxTJl2T3fO20fw:1616501499259&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WJM20_rKt8UiTM%252ChhAgW5uxYfldAM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTpdMuL2acdGzm3J8anMafWgaljlg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZjZGtscbvAhXEElkFHU9oDlUQ9QF6BAgLEAE
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:07:55 AM »
I used to have a Savage model 93, wish I still had it.

But better than that I once owned a Savage model 101 faux revolver.   Wish I still had it, I had a lot of fun with it.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »
 Over the past 50 years I have owned many Savage rifles and shotguns, most were good guns that worked and we’re inexpensive. Now most of there rifles and shotguns have black plastic stocks and matte finished metal and may work but just don’t give you a feeling of pride of ownership.
I still own a couple M 99’s and some rimfire rifles but the originals that are so cool are still available if you keep a watch for what you want and know what the prices are for a good used guns and and are by far the better choice for someone that likes the old blue and walnut guns. I am not a gun snob but just don’t have any use for the new breed of guns.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. &20ga.,
H&R 45-70 trapdoors, officers model & Calvary Carbine, more recently 256 Winchester magnum,44 magnum Shikari, 7-30 Waters in the making.

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 02:41:36 AM »
Over the past 50 years I have owned many Savage rifles and shotguns, most were good guns that worked and we’re inexpensive. Now most of there rifles and shotguns have black plastic stocks and matte finished metal and may work but just don’t give you a feeling of pride of ownership.
I still own a couple M 99’s and some rimfire rifles but the originals that are so cool are still available if you keep a watch for what you want and know what the prices are for a good used guns and and are by far the better choice for someone that likes the old blue and walnut guns. I am not a gun snob but just don’t have any use for the new breed of guns.

jedman
I've owned a few of the Savage Axis' in the smaller calibers. Not what I consider a quality rifle by any means, but as accurate out of the box as many rifles costing 3x as much.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 02:53:15 AM »
 I had a Savage Axis in 243 Win. around 2012 and once I relieved the barrel channel to where there was no contact with the barrel it did shoot very well. I used it to take several doe antelope at decent range and afterwards it sat in the safe unused for 5 years or so, so it went to a gun show with me and I either sold or traded it.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. &20ga.,
H&R 45-70 trapdoors, officers model & Calvary Carbine, more recently 256 Winchester magnum,44 magnum Shikari, 7-30 Waters in the making.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 04:03:32 AM »
  " Despite technological advancements over the last 60 years, some tools are made to last. While several of the machines at the current manufacturing plant in Westfield, Mass. are new, Savage Arms still uses two old machines crated prior to World War I and imported from Germany to button-rifle and hand-straighten barrels."

Those old machines designed to control accuracy must be working very well, since Savage seems to be remarkable in their accuracy....
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..