Author Topic: Thinking about doing some grafting  (Read 886 times)

Offline longwinters

• Trade Count: (0)
Thinking about doing some grafting
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:29:14 AM »
Not sure how far I will take it.  But I have ordered a pack of root stock seeds and some silicone clips.  Thinking about trying it on a few of my paste tomato plants that I am going to plant this spring.

Anyone ever do this?  What results did you have?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Bob Riebe

Re: Thinking about doing some grafting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:42:14 AM »
I have an apple tree that prodices inedible crab apples and keep thinking of buying a couple of trees from a green house and graft on branches.Problem is young apple trees are not cheap and if I screw -up it will cost mucho dollars.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:14:09 PM »
I have an apple tree that prodices inedible crab apples and keep thinking of buying a couple of trees from a green house and graft on branches.Problem is young apple trees are not cheap and if I screw -up it will cost mucho dollars.

Have you considered talking to someone that has an apple orchard and ask them if you could have some of the pruned off limbs?

Tony

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 03:48:16 AM »
That would be the answer, seems all the apples in our area that thrive are made on crab apple root stock, if I recall.   If they survived transit  I could send you some small branches when we get going this year, have a Delicious and a Cortland.
best wishes

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 06:40:00 AM »
I never thought or that, interesting idea.