Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline bubba15301

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What is this?
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »
picture taken in my brother inlaws yard. look center right of the pic

BUBBA

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:02:01 AM »
anyone?
BUBBA

Offline spruce

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Smudge on the lens?

Offline sethk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
If that 213 × 159 version is the highest resolution you have, then I'm afraid, however interesting the subject of the picture may have been, well...
What I have: 30-06 Handi (2003), 12ga mod. bbl
What I want: .22lr offset (versa-pack) bbl, 357 Max bbl

"Enter into that darkness where neither the Law nor human reason gives its light, but only the dark word of faith."   - C.F.W. Walther

Read Jorge Luis Borges.

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
BUBBA

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
hows that
BUBBA

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:43 PM »
     Looks like a susquatch to me. :-\

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
Could be anything but it looks like a ghost/spirit to me.  They show up in photos because the camera can stop them.  They know we are here.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
Bubba lemme give ya the straight poop on your pic.  It seems your brother in law has a bad infestation of moles in his yard.  In cold weather every time a mole passes gas, one of these plumes of steam appears.  I wouldn't be too concerned but I wouldn't do anything in that yard that required an open flame.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:05:54 PM »
Old Syko:  that's just nutz.  Bubba's camera simply caught a snow ghost, that's all.  If it was moles as you say, then if bubba put a tracer round through it the cloud would explode, or at least 'flash', as all farts, whether mole farts or others, are made of methane gas which is highly flammable and ignites with tracer bullets.

Bubba:  get yourself some 22lr tracer ammo and the next time you see a snow ghost you will have the opportunity to either prove or disprove the theory on mole farts.................... stay beyond the blast range though.................... and upwind ...............................

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »
Old Syko:  that's just nutz.  Bubba's camera simply caught a snow ghost, that's all.  If it was moles as you say, then if bubba put a tracer round through it the cloud would explode, or at least 'flash', as all farts, whether mole farts or others, are made of methane gas which is highly flammable and ignites with tracer bullets.

Bubba:  get yourself some 22lr tracer ammo and the next time you see a snow ghost you will have the opportunity to either prove or disprove the theory on mole farts.................... stay beyond the blast range though.................... and upwind ...............................

I would advise against such actions!  Ya see these moles tunnel everywhere in, around, and possibly even under things you might not want destroyed.  If there are any mole beans in the area tracers and other forms of ignition could bring on an uncontrollable disaster.  Since mole gas is both odorless and tasteless, these steam plumes are the only signal of possibly impending disaster.  If tracers must be used I would use a larger caliber than 22 so to be able to apply the flame from a farther distance away. 

P.S.  Might want to check homeowners coverage before any action is taken.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »
BTW Mikey, I'm not sure I want to know how you determined such gas could be ignited with tracer ammo. :o

Offline sethk

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:17:59 AM »
hows that

Honestly, that just looks like the original thumbnail image has been stretched to a larger size (but not a larger resolution).  Sorry to be nitpicky, but low res pictures and digital artifacts make strange things appear by their very nature.
What I have: 30-06 Handi (2003), 12ga mod. bbl
What I want: .22lr offset (versa-pack) bbl, 357 Max bbl

"Enter into that darkness where neither the Law nor human reason gives its light, but only the dark word of faith."   - C.F.W. Walther

Read Jorge Luis Borges.

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »
taken by a phone, but not by me. not my yard either. it was in my brother inlaws yard.they said there was a face .
BUBBA

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
Forget the picture. We have some mole fart experts here. Let's not waste this opportunity. I think a lot of us would like to expand our knowledge of mole farts.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
taken by a phone, but not by me. not my yard either. it was in my brother inlaws yard.they said there was a face .

I believe that.  Spirits of those who have passed on are everywhere.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Capt_Max

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
Looks like someone had a dud of a firework and it is just the smoke from one that "fizzled" out.
CaptMax

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »
no fireworks
BUBBA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
Old Syko:  it was strictly by accident.  It was during the war and some of us were attempting to develop 'a better mousetrap'.  Actually, we were trying to develop a smaller anti-personnel mine using empty beer cans, some field expedient plastique or issue stuff if we had lots around, a spot or two of field expedient napalm, some screening wire. some copper wire, a detonator and a d-cell battery.  If we could get the wires to connect when the rat attempted to pull the bait up out of the can it would set off the detonator that would detonate the plastique and ignite the napalm and presto, cooked rat for our Mountainyard troops.  It didn't always work that way but the same thingwould happen if you were unlucky enough to step on it....

Now, we had caught the rats and caged them and set up just beneath the top of a trench berm - the bad guys were shootin at us and we were shootin back.  The rats were nervous, like democraps or libruls when things get hot and they began to f_ - oops, expel gas and you could smell it.  When charlie would open up on us with is green tracer 7.62x54R rounds, those that passed over the rat cage seemed to 'flash' a bit, which we thought scientifically interesting.  So we made the rats more nervous by bringing in the Mountainyard 'chef' and when those rats really began to 'toot'  the air over head was literally flashing in concert. 

End of story is that as a anti-personnel mine we were told it was against the Hague Convention to use flammable anti-personnel mines, so we cooked the rats instead.............................

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 01:21:46 AM »

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
Capt_Max:  I wore that insignia for 6 years.  I served with the 5th, 6th, 8th (with 3 tdy's to the 5th) -then the 7th, was tdy to the 1st for a bit and then 46th Co.  You?