Author Topic: Predator Calling...  (Read 748 times)

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Predator Calling...
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:58:38 AM »
I see there was already one with this topic, but I got a warning that I might wish to start a new thread...

Just got a FoxPro Fury 2 and I am going to attempt to call, but the places I want to go have snow nearly 2-feet deep, so it might not happen for a bit of time...

Anyone doing any good calling...

Any tips to give a novice?

I'm in the western part of the state...

Thanks...BCB

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Predator Calling...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:24:40 AM »
BCB

I use a Primus Power Dawgg caller, and one of those critter things that looks like a rabbit as bait.  I live in central PA, and usually hunt the state forests the first hour of light in the am, or the last in the pm.  Quite a bit at night also.  This is usually a good time of year, but the snow has made it difficult to get into some of the areas I like to hunt.

I like to hunt where there is some structure - the edge of a field or powerline, a grassy hump in the middle of a field, the bank of a small mountain stream, stone walls.  I usually set my "bait" out at these locations, with the caller hidden nearby.  I will take a stand nearby where I have cover and concealment, usually 100 yards or less, a lot closer at night.  Yotes will often circle first, so scent control is important, and sometimes there is not much you can do about it other then try to pick a stand that makes it difficult for them to circle down wind.

I usually use the dying cottontail or woodpecker call, and go easy on the number of times I call.  If it is a quiet area, and a Yote is in hearing range, he will hear your first couple calls, and come in if he is going to.  The rabbit decoy bait proves useful for distracting him, and keeping his attention away from you.  If I don't get a response within about 20 minutes, I change locations.  Sometimes I will drive around an area I am unfamiliar with, and use the "howler" call to see if any dogs answer, but don't usually use it while on stand.

I use a 204 Ruger with lightweight bullets, as I usually shoot close, and they seem to go in and explode without coming out and damaging the hide, as winter pelts are worth a few bucks.  For night time, I have a high powered combat light tapped to my rifle.  They say a red lens will spook them less, but I have tried it with and without, and no matter what, you have to shoot quick once you shine that light.  Only have four yotes this year so far, usually I do better, but the snow and cold have slowed me down this year.  Good luck.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....