Author Topic: Guns around post offices in Alaska - Senator Begich  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Guns around post offices in Alaska - Senator Begich
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Hey folks I got this news letter yesterday.  In a way I'm really glad the senator appreciates the realities of Alaska especially rural Alaska.  But I think and hope he is able to protect all gun owners in all of USA.  And I don't agree that he is "increasing" or  "extending" our 2A rights - just slightly slowing the erosion of our rights.  I wrote to thank him, sent copies to Sen Murkowski, and Rep Young AND Rand Paul.  We need to stay on top of this stuff.  I posted similar in the 2A forum here.
February 9, 2014  Begich Fights to Increase 2nd Amendment Rights for Alaskans
Dear Friends,

Protecting Alaskans' right to bear arms is a priority for me which is why I wanted to tell you about my fight in the Senate the week to protect our Second Amendment Rights. The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, of which I am a member, has held several hearings on postal reform. On Thursday, in the final session before the bill heads to the Senate floor, I fought back against the Democratic chairman who tried to refuse a vote on an amendment related to guns in post offices offered by Senator Rand Paul. I pushed back on the Chair, insisting we take the time to address the issue of Second Amendment rights.

After some back and forth, it became clear that the committee was going to vote against Sen. Paul's amendment so I quickly offered a common sense solution that not only got the support of every member of the committee (including all Democrats and Sen. Paul) but also the NRA. And now the final bill includes language that protects Alaskans' rights. Before my amendment, there was a chance that hunters or others who stopped by the post office with a shotgun or other firearm in their trucks could be found guilty of breaking the law.
The
Washington Times has an article about the hearing that you can read here: Here is an excerpt:

The measure from Sen. Mark Begich, Alaska Democrat, to a broader Postal Reform bill is meant to head off situations where a person could be charged with a crime if they run into the post office after hunting or shooting, for example, and leave their gun in the parking lot. "In my state, a rural state, we have folks who are going out to the post office [with] a gun in their car, " Mr. Begich said Thursday at a meeting of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. "[You] park and you go in and you may not realize that even though you stored your gun in that parking lot … this solves this problem once and for all."

This is only one example of the ongoing fight I take on to make sure that Washington does not interfere with our rights. And after hearing from so many Alaskans on this issue, I wanted to make sure you knew about this important win for our rights and our way of life in Alaska. As a proud member of the NRA with an "A" rating from the organization, I know Alaskans' right to carry firearms is a valued right no matter where they are.
I hope you'll continue to stay up to date on my work here in the Senate.

Sincerely, Senator Mark Begich

--------------dang! its a chore cleaning up some of these letters to post on here!!! ---------

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline thxmrgarand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Guns around post offices in Alaska - Senator Begich
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
I am skeptical about Mark Begich and gun rights.  When he was mayor Anchorage he signed Anchorage up as one of NYC then-mayor Bloomberg's mayors against guns.  At that time Bloomberg had a map that showed all the cities that had signed up for that and his anti-gun organization chose to include the entire state of Alaska because Begich had signed up Anchorage.  Begich is now running for re-election in a state that hadn't sent a Democrat to Congress in a generation until Begich narrowly won against Ted Stevens.   So I am skeptical that law-abiding gun owners can depend upon Begich to defend gun rights if he is re-elected.  No one who is actually for gun rights would have signed up with Bloomberg!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
WOW REALLY !?!?   I was unaware that he got anywhere near Bloomberg's goof ball stuff!  I'll look into that more - can you provide some links thx?  That would make a huge difference to me.  Unfathomable to sign up Anchorage for any such thing.  Of course when I think about it - Bloomberg's mayors against guns thing sounds fine.  Yeah I'm against illegal guns but what does that really mean? Full autos in unauthorized hands? Bazookas and grenade launchers in unauthorized hands?  Too bad Bloomer doesn't seem to support prosecuting people who illegally obtained and used guns - from the little I know about his program.

On the post office front - last Monday I almost violated the law.  I was  going to mail off a package at the PO on my way to hike out to my property.  The hike is 3 miles from the highway and wolves have been seen in the area, as well as now and then I pick up small game.  So I was going to take a 357 along with me.  I would have had the gun in the truck in the PO Parking lot while I did my mailing.

My wife reminded me it was a Fed holiday, so I didn't go to the PO,.
It saved me  time and I had a great hike - but nothing to shoot at.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:17:06 AM »
Here's a news report from when Begich joined in 2006:  http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2006b%2Fpr349-06.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1

Begich and Anchorage happen to be at the top of the long list in the above article.  If this doesn't work you can Google Begich Mayors Against Illegal Guns and see lots of evidence of when he joined Anchorage to the Bloomberg effort and when he much later tried to withdraw.

Bloomberg is in favor of making all our guns illegal of course.  He is using his substantial financial clout to first make all guns illegal in New York state.  Possibly Begich joining Bloomberg says more about his true colors than does his 2013 US Senate vote on the Obama gun grab legislation.  After all, it's not as if back in 2006 gun owners in Alaska were being fooled by Bloomberg.  We knew then what he is.

Begich can do more damage to law-abiding gun owners in the next 2 years by voting for any Obama court nominee than he ever did by signing on with Bloomberg.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 04:36:13 AM »
In a county where I hunt there is a country store. In this store they sell food , gas , guns , ammo and some hardware. Also in this store is a one window post office. And a sign is posted out side saying post office inside. Trust me the parking lot has hunters in it with guns all season.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 05:11:59 AM »
Wierd, at first I thought it might be about collecting surplus U.S. Postal Service handguns.

I remember seeing them sometimes advertised.
Like this Ruger SpeedSix Postal Inspectors model.