Author Topic: back to basic.....  (Read 2100 times)

Offline highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
back to basic.....
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
started out with my dads recurve then as every young man does i went with th latest and grestest and ended up with compounds.    started play around with longbows and recurves and for now really like the #45 range.   what im asking is arrows... corbon vs alum vs cedar and what spine weight.   im not a purist and will shot anything.    thanks

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: back to basic.....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
The carbons with wood grain finish are hard to beat.  You can't bend them and it's very hard to break them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:37 AM »
I was mule headed about carbons when they first came out.  I just could not imagine shooting one from a traditional bow.  I talked bad about them on Stickbow every chance I got.

Then, I developed shoulder trouble and had to go to a crossbow.  It came with heavy aluminum arrows.  They would not stand up to the high energy developed by the xbow.  So I bought some carbons.  Wow!  What a difference.  I haven't broken one yet and of course they don't bend. 

If I heal enough to go back to the longbow, I'll be shooting carbons. 

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
I've got a couple of compounds laying around that have't been used for may years. When the were, carbon fibre was still years away. Aluminum or fibre glass worked fine with them for many years.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
Go to an archery shop, if possible, and shoot some of the Carbon Express arrows that are spined for the 45# bow. Shooting different length of arrows will enable you to select the best shooting and balanced shaft for your bow!! I  have done this for two of my recurves and also one of my long bow hybrids! It is amazing the difference it makes in your shooting ability. I also shoot using three fingers under the arrow.

With the carbons I have never broken one, and they stay straight!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
3 Rivers sells test kits of arrows in various spines , progressing in 5 pound steps.  Two arrows of each spine, so you can find out which weight is best for your bow.  They have them for wood and aluminum, I don't remember if they do for carbons.  Of course, you could go to Walmart and get a couple of each weight you are thinking of and put your own kit together....

~WH~
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone