Author Topic: I sure am tired of winter  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Bogmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
I sure am tired of winter
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:11:15 AM »
 I don't know about the rest of you,but I am ready for spring.
 The below zero temps --just keep a coming. This winter has now entered the record books,and we aren't close to done.
 And I am sitting here waiting for ice out--only 4 feet to go.
 Tom
If you need trapping supplies---call ,E-mail , or PM me . Home of Tom Olson's Mound Master Beaver Lures  ,Blackies Blend--lures and baits.Snare supplies,Dye ,dip,wax,Large assortment of gloves and Choppers-at very good prices.Hardware,snares,cable restraints and more!Give me a call(651) 436-2539
  I now also carry --- The WIEBE line of Knives and their new 8 and 12 inch fleshing Knives.

Offline Macthediver

• A Real Regular
Re: I sure am tired of winter
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
Tom
I was to the lake this weekend for my sisters annual winter party. Went with my nefew to try ice fishing over a brush pile I know the location of. If he wouldn't have had a gas power auger I'd have never bothered trying to cut holes. Was easily 3'ft or more ice. I've not spent much time fishing this lake in the winter. But I do know 3ft or more ice on it is way more than most years. Don't think I'll be putting my dock out  anytime early this year.

Mac
"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"

Offline RdFx

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
Boggy, come on now, there is alot of snowshoeing to be done looking for bvr or just trying to get around in my back yard.  Also  great for xc skiing but i would have to say you need  a balaclava or vasalene on your exposed face ect.   Now another plus is  with the below zero or just below 15 degrees , you almost have to push yourself down hills as  gliding is definitely retarded.   Now  just think, you get your cardio and keep yourself healthy.   Tom you have to admit you have to keep in shape to carry all those 70 # bvr  you are going to get this  spring bvr trapping plus the chopping thru 3 foot of ice in April to be able to set spring bvr traps..... ::)
Mac good to see you posting.  Did you catch any fish?  Fishing has been slow here with the balmy below zero weather but inside a shanty or fishing clam it isnt bad.   

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you,but I am ready for spring.
 The below zero temps --just keep a coming. This winter has now entered the record books,and we aren't close to done.
 And I am sitting here waiting for ice out--only 4 feet to go.
 Tom
Oh come on now, how old are you?

When I was a yout, they scheduled snowmobile races around here into March, as half of the time it was still winter in March.

Far too many, are far too spoiled by the uncommon warm weather we have had for most of ten years.

Offline Bogmaster

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
 Well its this way Bob--I ain't a youth anymore. And we sure haven't had to worry about any warm weather this winter--turning us soft.
 Trouble is, the older we get--the harder weather extremes are on us.These cold temps do not even allow my wife to go outside.--hard enough for her to breathe in warmer weather,impossible in below zero temps.
 In my youth,and a lot of my adulthood,I could shovel snow all day.Not so now days,I need to take several breaks.
 And seeing that this is one of our coldest 10 winters,I think it has equaled anything I encountered 50 or 60 years ago.
 Are we softer than 50 or 60 years ago--you bet,when it comes to cold and snow.But I can still hold my own wading the swamps--but I do need the ice to go out.
 Tom
If you need trapping supplies---call ,E-mail , or PM me . Home of Tom Olson's Mound Master Beaver Lures  ,Blackies Blend--lures and baits.Snare supplies,Dye ,dip,wax,Large assortment of gloves and Choppers-at very good prices.Hardware,snares,cable restraints and more!Give me a call(651) 436-2539
  I now also carry --- The WIEBE line of Knives and their new 8 and 12 inch fleshing Knives.

Offline RdFx

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:58 AM »
THERE , you have it, Tom admits to being old!!   Well i can say im (Mature)!  Dont like that old word...lol..  At anyrate  At 68 do notice things like i only carry a 1/2 bundle of shingles up on roof using each step of ladder and not walking it up!!   Also noticed all these people  (youngsters) flying by me on the XC ski trail.....well they maybe got to the end first but im not TOO far behind them and i didnt do any faceplants so guess im still stable on skiis.   Now for snowshoes....sure glad ive got them as if i had to huff and puff thru the deep snow i wouldnt get to any bvr ponds..... by the way i still huff and puff breaking new trail..... So in the long run we are all getting MATURE....even those younger folk.....tis nuff for now, i will let this dissertation  melt into Boggys brain!

Offline Macthediver

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:30:56 AM »
Tom I was at my sister place at the lake over the weekend. Woke up Saturday morning to -24 and that was not with their wind chill thing. I'm guessing it's going to take a few warm days to get rid of the 3ft or more of ice on the lake this year. My nefew drilled a couple hole with the power auger so we could fish and it was work. As a kid I chopped all my holes with a ice spud. It's no wonder we spent so much time back then reopening old holes instead of pounding in new ones.
My guess is you aren't going to get in the lake anytime soon for beaver. I don't think Lee is going to be putting away his snow shoes or skies any time soon either. Unless he just plain wears out and decides to sit until the thaw. Way it looks right now guys will be shooting spring turkeys in the snow.
Mac
"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
So are you guys up in Wisconsin?  I'm jealous!  I haven't been out on skis or snowshoes in 15 years.  They just sit up in the rafters of the garage since we came to Ohio.  I should get them down here and look them over again.  My favorite skis are a pair of wood Bonas I bought in '69.  I've had to reglue them a couple of times now, they probably need it again.  The webs are another thing, they are well varnished so, unless the heat has affected them they should be okay.

~WH~
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline RdFx

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
   I snowshoed to my bee yard today  even though it was only   5 degrees.   Snow on the level is 3 feet deep.    Some bees had came out, dont know why unless they decided to commit suicide  ..... actually probably  doing a defecation..... the buggers have to crap sometime but usually they wait till a warmer day.   XC skiing is great but cold weather with 20 below wind chill  going down hills    NO FUN..... so i snowshoe when its that cold....... how wide are your Binos?   Mine are racing type , narrow but i have wider ones for  bushwacking and  corn snow weather.....

Offline Newt

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.snareone.com
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 11:24:35 AM »
Yep Sure been a hard winter.
We must have got 6" of snow this year.
The wind started blowing in March.Cold enough to make ice cristals in the bay (salt water)The small ice cristals lay agaist the fish nets.Then the tide takes'm down.
So I havent set them out yet.Thursday the wind and tide will be right.
Newt---over---

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 05:30:43 PM »
How are ya doing Newt? I haven't heard from you in a month of Sunday's, well maybe not quite that long.

All you trapper fellows are welcome here, this place is just like it was in 2014 when I sold the other site. Those folks have sure ruined it, so we set this one up with all the old posts and all the new ones folks have made since Matt set this up.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 05:34:04 PM »
Yes.  Please post on this site
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline Newt

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.snareone.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 01:06:24 AM »
Its good to be back Mr,Graybeard
Some how I lost your trapping forum in my favorits.
When I got a site in my favorits.its so much easer for me to get to a forum.
Newt---over---

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 03:59:19 AM »
Seems like you've found us again here. Invite the rest of the trappers to come join you here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!