Author Topic: Dang It  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Dang It
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Every time I decide on a crossbow I read the reviews and they are terrible.  I was looking at Bowtechs and the reviews are horrible.  I was looking at Parkers and today a dealer tells me he has more trouble with Parkers than any other brand.  The reviews on Barnetts are horrible too.  I'm thinking about an Excaliber now.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Dang It
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »
i'd try a few different ones if
you have the opportunity. i use
a lot of different gear that other folks
would scoff at. most all my archery tackle
would be considered "obsolete" junk
by those i know that buy a new $1000.00
bow every year. same with my muzzleloaders,
centerfire rifles, fishing gear, etc.
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
The Excalibur is the highest rated crossbow. I've shot several and that's what I would buy if I were to hunt with a crossbow.

The ten points are the highest rated compound crossbow. But I would prefer a recurve model were I to buy one.

I had to give up my recurve & longbows because of old shoulder injuries. Just not sure I want to go the crossbow. Personally I'd stick with your widow.  ;)
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »
I ordered a Ten Point Titan because it seemed the most reliable in that price range.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline clum sum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »
Swamp Bille Why don't You,  with Your wast knowledge high intelligence and all the money You saved by not going to church, build Your on. It would probably be the best ever made. And if You are still in the hills You need to get that woman some warm clothes.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
The money I've saved by not going to church has been like having a second job and my wife doesn't have to work to make the pulpit demons rich either.  Still I am a frugal man having been a church goer all my life I had to be careful to keep my kids from starving.  I could build a crossbow and a very good one having worked in the DOD/Aerospace industry for 40+ years but the tooling and materials would probably cost $10,000.00 and it seems better to pay $800.00 to someone who makes a living at it.  This area is lousy with big bucks and turkeys and I need to get after them.  The wife has a coat and one is enough.

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:45 AM »
OK
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:46 AM »
Every time I decide on a crossbow I read the reviews and they are terrible.  I was looking at Bowtechs and the reviews are horrible.  I was looking at Parkers and today a dealer tells me he has more trouble with Parkers than any other brand.  The reviews on Barnetts are horrible too.  I'm thinking about an Excaliber now.
I  thought  I  needed  a  crossbow  , Because  of  my  degenerative  joint  condition ,so  I  bought  a  Barnett . I  soon  learn  that  cocking  one  by  hand  will  strain  your  gonads  off. So I spent  another  100$  for  a  cocking  device. They  are  bulky  and  hangup  on  every  twig in  the  woods .  I  retired  it  to the  closet and  regret  I  didn't  spend  that  money  a  another  rifle. That's  my  story and Im  sticking to  it.

Offline twentynine

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
Excaliber, Ten Point or Wicked Ridge

Wicked Ridge is made by Ten Point, has everything a Ten Point has except the lifetime warrenty.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »
I just sit on a stool and wait for them to come along.  I don't see how a crossbow could be worse than a compound bow.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
I just sit on a stool and wait for them to come along.  I don't see how a crossbow could be worse than a compound bow.
I  was  comparing  them  with  rifles  not  longbows ,  They  do  extend  your  hunting  season  by a month  or so  .  Just  make  sure  when  your  cocking  one  by  hand  that  you  don't  let  your  dominate  arm  shift the  string  to  off  center when  pulling  up or  the  arrow  wont  fly  true.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
I ordered the $200.00 accudraw.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
what length bolts does it use?
what kind will you get for it?
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Six TenPoint Pro Elite Carbon Arrows is what it comes with.  I believe they 20".

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
those ought to do the trick.
i was just looking at some of the
retailers. they're made for t.p. by
easton (so it says anyway) about
10.00+ - each  :P
i've been using eastons, but they're
a little less 'spensive. i still like
to have boo-hooed over the 2 i've
lost. sez they're hand sorted and matched.
maybe that's where the extra comes in.

good luck with it. don't forget-fingers down
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
This is where I got mine.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
thanks for posting that.
good to know, because i'd not
heard of them. great prices.
Let's go Brandon  !