Author Topic: Who makes the best small tiller  (Read 3296 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Who makes the best small tiller
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:54:21 AM »
I've worn out three in the last fifteen years.  The first two were two stroke but the last was a Honda 4-stroke.

Whose small tiller do you prefer?

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Who makes the best small tiller
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
Wow, this is an old post topic with no replies.
I have two, one is an original Roto-Tiller I got from my grandpa, now at least sixty years old,  and the other is a Husqvarna that replaced a fantastic Simplicity (which was replaced ONLY because a gear-box gear that wore out could not be replaced, but it was the BEST I ever used) which replaced a rear-tine that I bought new and got rid of shortly there after as it was a P.O.S.-- I do NOT like rear tine.
At that the Husky is not as good as the Simplicity was but still very good.--The old, old, old Roto-Tiller I finally had to put a new engine on it as I could not get parts for the carb. on the original so I put a new Brigs. engine on it and it is going strong.-- Will probably run out of tines one day as they are like the old butcher knife you keep using till there ain't no mo to sharpen.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:27 AM »
ive got a troy build and its been a good unit.
blue lives matter

Offline mrallen5149

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 05:55:02 AM »
I have a Troy Bilt Pony that works well. I also have my grandfathers old, old  Roto-ette Model 2 (Rototiller Inc.) that was the forerunner of the Troy Bilt tillers. It has the blade disc tines instead of the digger tines that were made from hardened round stock. The old tiller wasn't used much, engine threw the rod in the mid 50's, the engine was removed for repair in the workshop of the barn and the barn burned down, losing the engine and step pulley. That old tiller has been in the corner of my garage for 51 years. I have replaced all the old rawhide seals, found a new set of discontinued knobby 7" tires and tubes, cleaned and repainted (twice) over the years. Can't bring myself to junk it, the tines still have the factory grinding marks visible. I guess it is a 53 or 54 model year, the last I can remember it running was spring of 1957.

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 12:35:52 PM »
I have a small honda tiller, just wide enough for my garden, which is the only reason I need one, but I have used it to bury an electrical line 18" deep.  It's about 15 or 16 years old, never did anything to it but add gas. 
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 01:34:29 PM »
  I have the Honda and the Mantis mini tillers...

The Honda will get rocks stuck in the tines, the Mantis, not so much.  The 2 stroke Mantis has a tiny bit more power too, but my pick would be the Mantis with the Honda motor, and Mantis does offer it.

DM

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 04:35:17 PM »
  I have the Honda and the Mantis mini tillers...

The Honda will get rocks stuck in the tines, the Mantis, not so much.  The 2 stroke Mantis has a tiny bit more power too, but my pick would be the Mantis with the Honda motor, and Mantis does offer it.

DM
I've had a rock stuck, but between the tines and shield, came out easily enough.  Got the Honda because it was cheaper than the Mantis, but both would have worked equally well for my purposes. 
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~