Author Topic: what are TN handgun regs like  (Read 13851 times)

Offline hansg/Ups

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
what are TN handgun regs like
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
What the TN handgun regulations like?I've gotta get out of NY.I''m, not so slowly,looking at TN or western NC for permanent relocation.
I don't know that my blood is thin enough, for points further south.

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: what are TN handgun regs like
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
   Tennessee?  Regulations? What? You got to be kidding me.

I lived in Tennessee for almost 30 years.  It ranks as one of the most pro-gun States in the U.S.  No special restrictions on handguns that I'm aware of.  Just the normal federal laws apply.

The State law forbids carrying any weapon whatsoever (openly or not) with "intent to go armed" against another human.  So, you cannot carry your handgun without a carry permit.  Very easy to get.  I had one for 10- years. 

The one time an officer saw my piece, he asked to see it.  He looked it over, and said "Nice piece.  How does it shoot?"

Since it is a concealed weapons permit, so you are required to carry your piece concealed.

Believe it or not, the weapons permits are handled by the DMV.   Your carry permit looks almost exactly like your driver's license, but says Concealed Weapons Permit across the top.

[size=78%] [/size][/size]  On top of that, Tennessee has no state income tax, except on interest and dividends. How much does NY steal from you?   15% off the top?  On the negative side, most locals in Tennessee have a really high sales tax.  I recall paying 7.75% in the Memphis area. [size=78%]

[/size]       Another huge negative, there are no first rate Colleges or Universities in Tennessee.  Nothing to compare to the Ivy League schools, or top ten type non-Ivies (like Duke, U.VA or William & Mary)  The University of Tennessee is, academically, a joke.  The University of Memphis is worse than a joke.   Vanderbilt (a private college, horrifically expensive) is a grade B+ at best.  [size=78%]

[/size]     Two small colleges (Rhodes University and Sewanee-School of the South), give a first rate college-type liberal arts education, but carry no national reputation.  Again, both are very expensive.[size=78%]

And, the public schools are among the worst in the nation (rare exceptions being the wealthy suburbs of Brentwood and Germantown). 

So, not only do you have to save money your whole life to send your child away to a first rate college, you have to pay about $5,000 a year to send him to a private school, from grades 1 thorough 12.

Oh well. The price of freedom.

[/size]Mannyrock[size=78%]

Offline hansg/Ups

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the information.At age 62,I'm not particularly concerned about public education......I've already paid too much school taxes and I don't have kids. Most college faculties and I differ on political correctness/"ivory tower mentality".
The only -real-things of concern=1.total acrued taxes[SNWe have 8% sales tax ,albeit not on most food;,there are "fees"on utilities,local/state property taxes,state income tax[albeit not on state pension] in NY-and of course Cuomo's onerous SAFE ACT[asinine gun law among the "finest" in the nation]
2.availability of affordable rural property,not bordered by an obnoxious large family or shopping malls/schools/racetrack/hazardous waste site,flood plain within 10 miles
3.availability of decent health care within a one hour commute[..age 62,glaucoma,diabetes]
3.potable drinking water-surface and ground water
4.places to :shoot,hunt and fish close by
5.hopefully,some forms of employment:private or government sector in:environmental/health/safety:inspection/testing/training/analysis[NO I'm not a Greenpisser], materials or food inspection/testing,geological/hydrogeological investigations,disaster planning&mitigation[I'm not politically correct enough for FEMA-been there],light metal working[cutting,sawing,grinding,measuring,casting,heat treating].I hope  can find some full time or contract work for at least a few years,then part time.I've already applied to VW in Chattanooga-so far: no luck.
6.English ,and if need be:German, speaking population;no Spanish
I figure activities of interest  to me=shooting,traditional muzzleloading and colonial history,rustic furniture making,coal fired blacksmithing, small livestock raising,fruit tree orchard&gardens,nature observation,fossil hunting,German related activities[and scratch cooking],listening to music:"mountain",cajun,baroque [wife taught those for 34 years],folk.,classical,light jazz,limited rock,reading history,canoeing..
Incidently, were it not for the SAFE ACT,I'd consider  a seasonal[vs permanent]move.Sub freezing winters are now effecting my extremities. The Finger Lakes of western NY,are the prettiest part of UPSTATE NY, ...but NYC is still attached to NY State.
Karl Bechler refuge0416@yahoo.com
Thanks for the ear. Contact me further ,,if you like.

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:39:21 AM »
  Well, you have just described Fayette County, Tennessee.   It is the county that is immediately East of the county in which Memphis, Tennessee is located (which is Shelby County).  I lived there for 15 years on a 43 acre place I owned.

Positives: 

1.  Central and eastern parts of the County are  still rural. Row crop rural, meaning cotton and beans.

2.  Deer and turkey out the wazoo.

3.  Compared to other parts of the country, land is still cheap.

4.  You are 30 minutes east of Germantown, Tennessee, probably the wealthiest suburb in the State.  Great hospitals, schools, shopping.

5.  You are 45 minutes east of Baptist Hospital, the largest private hospital in the U.S.

6.  You are 1 hour east of The University of Tennessee Medical Center, a huge hospital and medical school.

7.  If you like to Bass fish, then this is the place for you.  But, its all "brown water" swamp fishing.

Negatives:

1. For 3 months of the year, the heat and humidity are incredibly bad. Think New Orleans, Jacksonville, Norfolk type weather.   You have to stay inside in air conditioning virtually all day.   I can remember times when it was so hot, that it was still in the 90s at 11:00 at night!

2.  You are in a racially mixed environment.  Memphis is 55% black.  Fayette county as a whole is probably 50% black.  The vast majority of these folks are great people.  But, if you can't handle this type of environment, don't even think about going there.

3.  Poverty, poverty, poverty, and all that goes with it.  (That's why land is still cheap.)

So there it is.

Now personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would be thinking of Springfield, MO and the surrounding areas.  At the foot of the Ozarks, still rural if you get one hour outside of town, cooler weather, great hunting, nowhere near as much poverty.  Very gun friendly.

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

Offline mike243

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:42:28 PM »
FYI its a carry permit ,no need to hide your weapon unless you want to.
rimfires forever