Author Topic: Lee Single Stage Press and Swaging dies - Compatible?  (Read 14631 times)

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
Lee Single Stage Press and Swaging dies - Compatible?
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
I am just getting my education on swaging. I would like to start making my own bullets. All I have for reloading at the moment is a Lee single stage press. If I am understanding correctly you can get a swaging die that can be used with a press. Are the Lee presses usable for swaging a small number of bullets? Say 1000 a year or so?
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline Smokin7mm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lee Single Stage Press and Swaging dies - Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:34:09 AM »
It depends on which press.  I use a dedicated swaging press but from what I understand and have read others have used the Lee Classic Cast with success.  Here is a link where a lot of swaging discussions go on.  Hopes this helps.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Swaging

Bret

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
Bucksnort, Swaging bullets on a hand press also depends upon the caliber, the hardness of the lead you plan to use, the bullet's shape and if jackets are involved. For instance, almost any iron 'O' type reloading press can be used, with dies made for a reloading press, to make BHn 5 to 6 bullets up to .38, perhaps even .44cal. If you plan to make jacketed bullets using the same softness of lead, you may run into pressure problems for anything larger than .270 caliber. There are some who may disagree with the exact size of bullet diameter where problems start, but if you plan to buy expensive dies larger than .270 you definitely want to listen to more than just my words. Also, if you do visit the Gunloads swaging site, you'll find that the majority of threads involve  making .224s using reformed .22lr brass, or fired large caliber pistol cases. While economical for their purpose, you will be limited in one of the benefits of making your own bullets: having the option of different weights over a wide range.  That site also contains some very good information on reloading presses that can be trusted to swage bullets.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
I bow to Talon's expertise in this matter.  Its my understanding that reloading presses are OK for lead bullets, short jacket pistol rounds and small bore jacketed bullets (like .22s).  If I remember the figures correctly, most reloading presses can generate about 30,000 psi in pressure, the very best approaching 50,000.  Swaging presses (depending on model) produce a minimum of 130,000 psi in the smaller bores.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:13 PM »
I sure wouldn't try to use a lee anything for swaying bullets. I had a challenger O press come apart in my hands just full length resizing rifle cases.  :o

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »
The Lee Challenger reloading press, while an 'O' press in design,  has an aluminum frame. Used as intended ( reloading cartridges) it probably preforms well. For bullet swaging most iron frame 'O' reloading presses, whether made by Lee or any other American firm,  meet minimum requirements given you follow the concepts in my first post.

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »
Getting your education? To recite the obvious, the Corbins, Dave at swage.com or corbins.com and Richard at rceco.com both have books of their experience on their web sites for review and download. Dave has more books and goes over this in detail. Obviously he wants to sell you whatever you need. Has both dies for the reloading press and "stouter" presses. Richard is not quite so wordy. Enjoy. Luck.

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:03:42 AM »
Appreciate all the feedback. I have been reading and watching some videos on the subject and will want to pursue. I have been saving all of my 22 rinmfire brass to stockpile that. I am probably going to start by making my own 223 bullets. That appears to be a good starting point. Just takes me time to gather in the info and materials to do so. Seems like I got more projects than I have time or money these days, but that is good problem I suppose.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!
Like Like x 1 View List