Author Topic: why do folks in the south hold a 150+ year old grudge?  (Read 21697 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: why do folks in the south hold a 150+ year old grudge?
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2013, 05:22:23 AM »
Just got back and looked over this thread.  It really went "south." 

Longtom, you should not have done that to the pickup driver. 
  • It's a felony.  Don't know about where you live, but here there is no statute of limitations on a felony, and now you've blabbed it for the world to see during a time the feds are monitoring our electronic inputs. 
  • It was not your place.  "Revenge is mine, sayeth the Lord."
  • It was un-manly.  If you had to hurt him at all, you should have met him face to face.
That said, I'm not sure what I would have done in your case.  You saw your chance and took it.  Done deal.  Spur of the moment reaction.  You weren't out looking for him.  You feel better about what you suffered, which is human nature.  Like I said, I don't know what I would have done. 

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2013, 05:43:20 AM »
  Don't listen to Jackson Brown's music?

Yes ya do.  It played for years and years on the Ford F-150 t.v. commercials. "Get up and do it again."  :-)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2013, 02:05:01 AM »
Yankee going South in music ? hum .................... TAYLOR SWIFT  !  ;)

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline goodshot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:40 AM »
    They lost.
    Blessings

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
American by birth Southern by the grace of God nuff said .
Reality is no one alive today won or lost. Some remember the facts others write the history. ( on both sides ) The thing is we better get together because it seems some want to forget teaching our history and skip to more modern times. 

Offline tomtomz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »
I was born in a state that was formed after the Civil war.  We had few African Americans in our midst, and those were treated as friends, teammates, fellow church members, classmates, etc.  In high school, we had a guy from France who didn't fit in, so you can rightly say that a frenchman didn't get along well in a mostly German-homesteaded community.

I was introduced to race hatred when I moved to Indiana, where I lived briefly among descendants of Klansmen and very poor people who thought nothing of keeping the old ways alive. So I sold a lucrative business and left for parts West. Not all Hoosiers feel this way, your mileage may vary. I am recounting my personal experiences.

I don't begrudge any of you for harboring these old hatreds, they only occupy space in your own mind until they leak out in ugly ways that cost you your job, freedom, or livelihood.

Freedom is your birthright as Americans.  I guess that means that you can choose to bear heavy burdens of your ancestors.

Offline goodshot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »
        Nothing happens in the past, we need to remember it lest we relive it, but not drag it along with us like luggage, not let it "live" in us, give it first place in our lives.
      paix et benediction

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »
I think it's a grudge in the sense that the slaves were freed when the were doing okay, and now they're not.  The results of the North's aggression and Lincoln's idiocy are more apparent now than ever.  It's the black race that ought to hold the biggest grudge.   

Offline greenmtnboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
    Now theres a new twist to the answer..
ROD

Offline tomtomz

• Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »
My friends are doing fine. Living in suburbia, putting children through college.

It seems Mr. Lincoln had the right idea, freeing them to work hard and live the
American Dream.  Did I mention their skin color? Not relevant to this topic.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:48 AM »
 Tom, please.  You ask me if you said anything about skin color?  What the heck?  Why must people always say that.  I said nothing about skin color to prompt such a question.  I was referring to the black race.  You make my remark about race by challenging me.  Stop doing that. 

Twice now you’ve told us about your black friends.  Like it’s some kind of token.  Like a kid bragging about his pony.  We’ve all got black friends.

Back to the north’s aggression and why there are grudges.  Lincoln in his stupid effort to fix something not broken, sent soldiers to the south.  He meant to free the slaves, and did.  Now, what happened to those freed slaves.  Suddenly they had nothing and nowhere to put it.  Homeless and jobless. 

Fast forward to today.  What do the black people have, as a whole?  Freedom?  Yep, freedom to live in slums across the entire eastern seaboard and feed off taxpayers.  It’s not their fault.  It’s Lincoln’s fault.  Look inside any prison and see the race most prominent as inmates.  Look inside any city or even small town and see the shacks and unclean conditions in which they are forced to live.  Check crime statistics as related to race.  They had to survive after Lincoln did his thing, and they are still trying to do so. 

But no, we can’t say things like that.  Not politically correct.  We are told to ignore facts and to not offend.  I suppose it’s because the problem Lincoln gave us in not fixable, so we should not speak of the pitiful conditions that really do exist. 

They were fed and housed and had jobs.  They would have rather had that than to be taken to where they were stolen.  It was Lincoln who wanted to interfere with that.  As I said before, slavery would have not lasted anyway, even without the north’s aggression.  It was barbaric and would not have stood.  We didn’t need Lincoln to make it worse. 

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2013, 06:03:54 AM »
Just a little note about slavery.
Most people think of it as a brutal way of life.
They think the owners treated their slaves as animals when in fact, most treated them quite well really.
After all, many of them cost their owners many hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Why would a slave owner treat such an investment to such abuse.
He had a lot invested in them and needed them in good health in order to work.
Sure there were acts of cruelty but mostly because of rebellion or because they tried to run away.
Not saying that made the brutality right but that was the punishment chosen to make a point to all the others not to disobey.
It did happen from time to time but I don't think it was as prevalent as we are led to believe.
Yes, that was a dark time in AMERICA's history but at that time it was the way of the land and not just in the south and not just by the whites either.
We need to always remember those times to insure they are never repeated but we also need to not try and hide the facts from both sides and some of the main ones are as follows.
The south did go against the north.
The north did invade the south to inforce the laws they wanted the south to follow.
The south did stand against that and did fire the first shots.
The rest we all pretty well know.
At least these are my thoughts about this topic.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline tomtomz

• Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
The institution of slavery is indefensible. Stop trying to defend it.
I don't need to twist your words. You've made your point very well.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
Thanks.  I tried very hard to make my point. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2013, 10:29:48 AM »
I don't need to twist your words. You've made your point very well.

Offline greenmtnboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »
they can print as large as they want , when I find something false or dumb I just minimize it / them  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  Shootall   Tell me you didnt do that..  lol   ;D 
ROD

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
You have to live in the south to understand . People from north, east & west treat us as if we are all bear foot and stupid !!!! No one from the south has the scents to get out of the rain . It gets real old !!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2013, 01:24:23 AM »

Have you read the Bible?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2013, 04:11:02 AM »
Not to mention the fact that slavery has been practiced since the beginnings of mankind in one form or another. The Europeans had surftdom the Native Americans raided other tribes and took slaves. Corporate America holds people in bondage even today for a paycheck. Get real.

The war of northern aggression was not about slavery it was about power, control, & money.

The things that caused the hate of Yankees all happened after the war. Beginning with the economic rape of the south and continuing to today.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Ga.windbreak

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2013, 12:22:09 AM »
My son, just got married to a beautiful lady from Georgia. (he is in the navy at Jacksville Fl).  At the wedding, her father made a slew
full of remarkes about bad mouthing the North?  Well, I just took it.  It's a wedding dude!  The man was very sincere. 
I talked to some friends and they have had the same experience, why?  We are americans! If they move to Ohio, all the folks would welcome them as a brother. My great-great grandfathers on my mother side came from France in the late 1850's.  They fought for thr north.  If they landed in the south, they would have fought for the south.  Hard to believe! Grandma's dad settled in Arkansas. 
Dad's folks came from Hungary after WW1. 
Why can't folk get over it?

First of all its not a 150 year old grudge, the Southern states as a group, climbed out of poverty brought on by Reconstruction after WWII (during the 60's). And even today we are behind the curve income wise.
I remember quite well my Mother's stories about living on $6.00 a week working at WarnerRobins Army/Air base during WWII while raising me and helping her younger sister get thru college. In the late 50's that 6 dollars had become 50 a week doing a 12 hour a day job 6 days a week while raising a teen age boy, me.
Add to that the stories that my Grandparents told us about the war and Reconstruction and you get alot of hard feelings and surpressed anger.
BTW Bravo to your son for joining up and picking the Navy. Having served in that branch from 61-66 on a Birdfarm I wish him fair winds and calm seas .... God bless.
"Men do not differ about what
Things they will call evils;
They differ enormously about what evils
They will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton

"It starts when you begin to overlook bad manners. Anytime you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am", the end is pretty much in sight."-Tommy Lee Jones in No Country for Old Men

Private John Walker Roberts CSA 19th Battalion Georgia Cavalry - Loyalty is a most precious trait - RIP

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2013, 02:20:47 AM »
I don't speak Southern.............however I presume "Birdfarm" could mean Aircraft Carrier........but then?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2013, 04:48:34 AM »
bird farm  ???  ain't that where you shoot quail out of season  ;D  legal like ?

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
Mostly plain ignorance or stupidity. It doesn't help that many people began imbibing confederate BS with their mothers milk. The result is that their brains were long ago washed, dry cleaned, and hung out to dry.
BTW there are statutes of limitations on felonies.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2019, 04:46:01 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline goodshot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2019, 06:44:40 AM »
They lost, that's why.
This bitterness has been inculcated among some for generations.
best wishes

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2019, 09:34:02 AM »
A lot of presumptions in the title of the thread.

Large portions of the South were economically, and agriculturally  devastated by the Civil War, and actions after the War. Meanwhile, the North was enjoying the Industrial Revolution, and the economic opportunities of the push West. 

At this point, 150 years later, we as a Country need this to be a sticking point like we need a hole in the head. There is enough current issues dividing us.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »
in all honesty they don't. Its just a few rednecks, mostly young rednecks that have the need to tear down someone to make them feel better about themselves. I was in the south in the 70s and it sure didn't seem like they were oppressed. Not one bit different then the blacks saying there oppressed and slinging insults at whites. Those times have long passed.
blue lives matter