Author Topic: 375 H&H Range Report  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
375 H&H Range Report
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
Took the 375 H&H to the range today.  Also took my Ruger 338 Win Mag, and my Ruger 350 Rem Mag.  Shot the 338 first, with a 1 1/4" three shot group.  Just had a brake put on the 338 and wanted to see how it shot with the brake.  Shot the .350 Rem Mag second, with a 2" three shot group.  Then came the 375 H&H.  From the lead sled rest, shot a 3/4" three shot group.  That was pretty good, I was happy. 

Had two shells left over from a partial box my buddy gave me.  I shot one from a standing position, man did that hurt.  Decided right there this thing is going away, too much recoil for this old man.  I decided to get rid of the last shell so I could reload the box, and sell it with the rifle.  I stood and leaned forward, bracing myself, but in a manner to flex with the recoil.  Now realize the range here in Fairbanks is covered in ice.  We have had two days of warm weather, and the entire area around the shooting benches has deep snow on the ground.  That snow now has a layer of ice over it.  When I fired the last shot, my right foot went out from under me, and I went down on my right knee.  But the knee slipped as well and I went on down on my right side, hitting my right shoulder on the ice.  I continued on over onto my back holding the gun up in the air.  Both of the guys that had gone with me started laughing, and teasing me about being a wimp, letting that gun get the best of me.  They came over and took the gun, removing the empty.  The other one helped me up. 

I brought it home and cleaned it.  I've got to reload a box of 350s this week for Bear season.  I will also reload the 375s at that time.  Then Saturday this gun is making a one way trip to the gun show.  Like Dirty Harry said, "A man needs to know his limitations".

Maybe I don't want a Lazzaroni after all.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 375 H&H Range Report
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
Ain't gettin old a bit#h!

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
I fired a .375 H&H exactly one time in my life. that's enough of that to last me. .45-70 is plenty of recoil thank you.

Offline FPH

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »
My Dad's friend had a .600 Nitro  double.  When I was young it was no big deal.....today, forget about it,  No wonder Mr. Mechler was happy to have me shoot it.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:39:43 PM »
Iffen I ever get a rifle that that, it's getting a muzzle brake before I fire the first round.  I'd like to have one someday when I got more money than I need. Like that's ever going to happen...

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
My buddy wants me to put a brake on it.  Ain't going to happen, it's going away this weekend.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
Hey Sourdough!
 How much do you weigh?
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
I watched a friend shoot his.  He offered to let me shoot.  I declined.  Since watching him I have had three rotator surgeries and am preparing for my fourth in May.
Nothing larger than a 308 for me.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
Streak:  I weigh 230 lbs.  Enough to stand up to this thing if I had to, but I don't. 

charles p:  I now have brakes on my .338 Win Mag, 2 ea 30-06s, and and 25-06.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:08:51 AM »
 I have a ring shaped scar around my eye from the first shot i ever took with a .375H&H. Had an old reffield with a steel eyepiece and they were a buddies handloads. It really really freakin hurt but makes for a good story. Pain is gone but the story remains ;D

Know what you mean Sourdough,, a few years after i bloodied my eye up i just HAD to have a beautiful CZ .375 and with less than 100 rounds through it decided i really didn't need such a beast in North Carolina and to the gun show it went. Sold quick ;D
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
Streak:  I weigh 230 lbs.  Enough to stand up to this thing if I had to, but I don't. 

OK!
Next question, what type of factory load are you using?
In my Ruger Tropical #1 I shoot the factory Rem 270 grain and recoil does not seem too bad! I have some reloads with I believe  4350 powder and 300 grain RN ( Hornady) and that has a tendency to get my attention!So I believe with some good reloads you might come upon a good load that would not kick like the
"Proverbial Missouri Mule"!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »

OK!
Next question, what type of factory load are you using?
In my Ruger Tropical #1 I shoot the factory Rem 270 grain and recoil does not seem too bad! I have some reloads with I believe  4350 powder and 300 grain RN ( Hornady) and that has a tendency to get my attention!So I believe with some good reloads you might come upon a good load that would not kick like the
"Proverbial Missouri Mule"!!
+1 the Remington 270's are not too bad but the 300 A square hurt. 

Offline phoneman7

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
what kind is it?  I'm always looking for a nice 375 H&H

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
I dropped it off with Larry Wednesday night.  Larry always has a table at the gun show, and he has sold many guns for me.  Larry wants to put $675.00 on it.  He seems to think it will bring that.  That's a 100% profit for me.  I told him I would be happy with $500.00, that gives him some wiggle room just in case someone wants it and can't come up with the full amount.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 02:39:04 AM »
Sourdough,

If you don't mind a heavy gun just buy a 338wm in the browning bar. The ones I've owned we're the lightest recoiling hunting rifles I've ever owned.

I wrecked my shoulders years ago so I appreciated the help with the recoil.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline GroovyMike

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 05:58:03 AM »
You can load low recoil loads for the 375. It doesn't have to hurt!