Author Topic: Break barrel versus falling block single shots  (Read 7577 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Break barrel versus falling block single shots
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »
Good morning all, was just sitting here drinking my morning coffee & thinking about stuff & things. When it came to me that I don't really like falling block rifles. There hard to reload, especially if scoped. Cannot be separated for easy transport, and are generally not as user friendly as a break barrel rifle or shotgun. I guess the only good thing about them is a strong action.  :o and I don't shoot much anymore that requires that strong of action to hold it.  ;)

I believe I could hunt the rest of my life with a contender rifle and a Winchester 37 shotgun. Or the best of both worlds. A Drilling.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Break barrel versus falling block single shots
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:46:53 AM »
Ofcourse reloading in a confined space such as a blind is easier with a falling block.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:25:24 AM »
For me reloading a break barrel gun is easier anywhere. Nimble fingers with strength & full feeling are a thing of the past for me.  ;)

And with the falling block you still half to contend with the full length of barrel and reaching under the scope.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:38:40 AM »
I was thinking of room to lower the barrels . I spend alot of time in blinds with both rifle and shotgun . it is far easier to load a gun with the bbls sticking out the blind than trying to break it open in the blind but that is just me. I hunterd with a Ruger #1 for several years and still hunt with a Encore and the #1 was stronger and easier for me . But only the Encore was a muzzle loader and a few years back I stopped hunting with a single shot unless forced to by law. I don't feel it nessary to handi capp myself to promote a good first shot . I have enough self displine to make a good shot. And if you or others enjoy the single shot please don't consider my post as a cut I only apply it to me. And I like the feel of both a lever action and bolt gun better.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:45 AM »
I think this is an interesting and useful discussion. I am a hunter first and prefer break-overs for that purpose.

I had a falling block Ruger No. 1 and it was a beautiful rifle. In general I think falling blocks are easier to make look good and I consider aesthetics an important part of any firearm, but some brak-overs also look good. The falling blocks are a lot easier to reload when shooting from bags on the range or like with most prairie dog shooting where speed doesn't count, but one does not want to have to move the gun a lot between shots. I think they are generally more accurate and cases generally last longer for one who reloads since the falling block actions are stiffer (but not necessarily stronger). Being stiffer and loading easier from a bench would make them better for a target or prairie dog shooter. At my gun club's rifle range firearms are supposed to be carried open with the barrel pointed up. This is OK with a falling block but very awkward with a break-over.

For hunting situations I think loading for a first or repeat shot is easier with a break-over. When the barrel is broken over, the chamber is very accessible, even with a scope on the gun, whereas with a falling block for me, with large hands, it's difficult to get my fingers under the scope to the chamber area. Although accuracy might not be as good as with a falling block, the right break-overs are more than good enough for hunting. I have trouble getting enough cheek support on rifles with scopes, especially high mounted scopes with large front lenses. With a break-over one can have a butt-stock a high cheek-piece for good cheek support. The high cheek-piece will not get in the way of the cleaning rod when cleaning the bore since the barrel can be removed for cleaning, also an advantage compared to a bolt action. Additionally, break-overs work well for having extra barrels in additional calibers for different purposes, which saves cost compared to having to buy a completely separate gun. In addition they work fine for barrels chambered for shotgun cartridges whereas a falling block action would have to be made very large for a shotgun cartridge. I don't think a single shot shotgun is very good for hunting game birds, except for turkeys, but it is fine for deer hunting with slugs, at least for the way I hunt them. Finally, when crossing a fence or small stream, or talking with others a beak-over can be broken over, with chamber loaded, and still be safe.

I use my single shot Thompson-Center TCR guns a lot for hunting and don't figure I have much need for a second shot. If I can't hit a standing animal with the first shot it would be unlikely to hit it running animal with a second shot. However, there is one big advantage of a bolt action for hunting compared to either a falling block or break-over single-shot. Where legal, it can be put in a gun rack in a vehicle with the magazine loaded but the bolt open and be fast to shoot but still safe.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:12 AM »
we can kill two deer a day  ;)  so a second shot is welcome . One of my best days hunting was when I shot two nice 8 pointers running together. Have had the same with does when filling the freezer. But we all have different expectations while hunting which is good and should be respected.

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »
I've taken my 15-year-old grandson deer hunting the past three seasons for antlerless deer. He's shot eight deer in all, and  six of them were shot in pairs. The pairs were far enough away that the second deer of each pair were confused about what happened to the first deer. The first pair was shot with a Model 1909 Mauser in 7X57 but the next two pairs were shot with a Thompson-Center TCR-87 in 6MM-06. It might have helped a little, however, that Grandpa was there holding extra ammo.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »
I've taken my 15-year-old grandson deer hunting the past three seasons for antlerless deer. He's shot eight deer in all, and  six of them were shot in pairs. The pairs were far enough away that the second deer of each pair were confused about what happened to the first deer. The first pair was shot with a Model 1909 Mauser in 7X57 but the next two pairs were shot with a Thompson-Center TCR-87 in 6MM-06. It might have helped a little, however, that Grandpa was there holding extra ammo.

Lucky him !  ;D  mine were running with hounds on their heels .

Offline sharps4590

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:25:02 AM »
This is the same as women, pick-ups, dogs, bamboo fly rods and silk fly lines....a matter of taste.  They're all good!!!!

I have all and must say it depends on my mood at the moment.  I'm not a waterfowler so convenience in that kind of blind has no bearing.  I'm not much on sitting on a stand or in a tree anymore so whatever convenience that requires is also moot.  Some days I want to fish my nearly new 4 wt. Pocket Water Rods bamboo rod and other days my 1929 South Bend 323...same with my firearms.  Some days it's a Sharps, or a drilling or a combination gun or my 1919 Model 1899 Savage in 303 Savage or my 36 cal. Southern Mountain flintlock squirrel rifle.  Thanks be that none of us HAVE to use only one!!!!!
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
[

There hard to reload, especially if scoped.
I don't find Ruger No. 1's to "hard to reload" and all four of them that I've owned since the age of 18 have had Leupolds fitted to them.  I can keep a No.1 on target while lowering the action lever, inserting a live round into the breech, and raising the action lever.  If I should ever need a second shot on a game animal, I certainly don't want to have to go through re-aquisition of sight picture on top of rechambering.  There is no way that I could ever keep the crosshairs on the target during reloading with any Contender, TCR '83, or Handi-Rifle I've owned.  For me, reloading a No.1 is significantly faster than a hinge rifle.  It's three movements: "open, insert, close".  With a Handi-Rifle, it's more like: unlatch, tilt to open, pluck (if non-ejector), insert, tilt to close, cock...  And I have to re-aquire the sight picture from scratch.  I don't see how that is less cumbersome. 

and are generally not as user friendly as a break barrel rifle or shotgun.
Not as "user friendly"?  Let's see....  Hold No.1 on target.  Lower breechblock and simultaneously eject fired round.  Insert live round into breech and close breechblock.  Aim.  Squeeze trigger.  Sounds pretty simple to me.

Blessings and Tight Groups,
JP

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
I am lucky to have Contenders, Encores and Ruger #1s. Depending on my mood I can shoot either style. On a different day I may take a Marlin 1894 44 Mag out. I am also glad to have a choice!
FM
For 500 yard targets it's the Pedersoli rolling block in 45-70, love that rifle!
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »
In a perfect world, I would be able to get all the calibers I want in a Martini action.  I suppose I'll setting for having some of each...  ;D

Tony

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »
I have both, and use both.  Each has it's advantages, AND it's disadvantages.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
Well, I have hunted and shot the RUGER #1 for many years, and it simply has never been hard to load, unload or function in any way.

Yes, I have owned break barrel Contenders, and shot guns and they were VERY fine for their intended use.

Handi rifles? well I don't go there and no offense intended to anyone.

However, lets say we are out hunting ground critters or shooting off a bench rest.
The action of the falling block is hugely easier to work in this situation because the basic firearm remains on one plain rather then needing to lay it to one one side or the other or lift up the center of the firearm to allow for the action to open for ejecting or loading.

Then we do have the strength factor which although it may not be needed is still a plus factor.

To each his own, and it is really great that we have been given so many options, but for this Ol'Coot, as good as some of the break barrels are, they simply are not in the same operational class of a quality falling block single shot.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »
i'd like to have a nice falling block of
some kind in 30/30 if they weren't
so cost prohibitive.
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
My choice has a 20 inch barrel. No problem loading in a blind.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline 32-40win

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
I like my falling blocks, I haven't had any issues with reloading them when needed. But, lately, I have been gravitating towards the break actions again. Something about the SXS that has always turned my crank.
Something different to shoot and load for, nice to carry, and they look great in my mind.  I keep telling myself I am nuts to spend the kind of loot I have on the SXS, an O/U is a lot less loot, but, the bug won't go away for the SXS.
Generally confused is a normal state of affairs, let me know if I ever figure it out.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:08 AM »
FWIW, a while back I was shooting in a Quigley match, 2 shots at a steel bucket at 200 yds. iron sights (no peeps) I was leading with 2 hits in 11 seconds with a Winchester Hi wall until the last shooter came up with a NEF 45/70 and hit it twice in 5.7 seconds. This was all standing offhand, made me a believer. Course the NEF had the auto ejector but still....

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 01:22:14 AM »
ive been hunting on and off with #1s for over 20 years and can load and shoot almost as fast as i can with a bolt gun if I have a wrist ammo holder and I know i can load it faster then most of the hunters ive seen in the woods with bolt guns. Now i dont know if i could with practice load a break open any faster but i doubt it as it takes two hands to break open and while that second hand is breaking open that gun ill be using my second hand to stick a round of ammo in my gun. All that said even if the break open was a bit faster im sure not going to put away my beautiful #1s and use a handi rifle. ;)
blue lives matter

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
Yep, Lloyd says it again!   

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline herpestes

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
like um both but the #1 is easier for me to reload for a follow up shot because of the ejector vs an extractor in the tc.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 02:14:24 AM »
another good point
like um both but the #1 is easier for me to reload for a follow up shot because of the ejector vs an extractor in the tc.
blue lives matter

Offline popplecop

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
I hunt with several different single shots and don't hunt from a blind.  Have a couple of No. 1s, a TC83 and a couple of Savage 219s.  Have to say my 219 in 30-30 has the strongest ejector of any of them and is the easiest carrying rifle of them all.  If I were to hunt from a blind it probably would be with one of  No. 1s as they are the easiest to reload in confined spaces.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 04:42:53 AM »
Well, while I would dearly like to own a #1 (actually I'd like a #3 in something like 20-06 but I digress).  And I have nothing against them but the price has always put me off and especially now that I'm on disability only.  A Handi rifle I can afford, especially a used one.  The TC's have always felt good shooting them but akward to carry and again, they certainly are not cheap.  It is fun to go to the range and often out-shoot some guys with expensive bolt guns.  My old Handi Topper will shoot under an inch at 100 yds and that always raises some eyebrows!  I have fun with the Handi's and like them so unless someone comes up with a $300 #1 for me to try, I will stick with them.  The Savage 219 is a great, light, and a very nice looking rifle.  While it won't shoot quite with the Handi's, it's another rifle I dearly love!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »
I like the singles. would love to get a ruger #1 someday but for  now I am a Baikal owner. speed is not what I was looking for but I saw a guy online firing a break open rifle and I think he had the best method. he opened the rifle but held the barrel up in place and let the buttstock weight open the action. then pulled a shell from the butt shell holder and was reloaded quite quick. I practiced it and it's not a bad method. would work fine in a blind too
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 05:15:35 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 04:47:46 AM »

I have always liked both and have both but I prefer break open non ejector as I reload and don't care to hunt brass but I have held my hand over the breach to catch the brass on a falling block.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 06:29:40 AM »

One problem I have with the break open, if it is a side leaver like you find on over and under is you have to use higher rings so that you can get your hand on the leaver if scope mounted with a large eye piece

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2021, 01:17:03 AM »
I own rifles in nearly every type of action they have come up with but usually hunt with one of my single shots.
To be truthful, I really don’t give it a thought about what action type I grab I use a caliber that fits what type of hunting I am doing and if on a trip away from home usually take 3.  I still hunt tree stands, blinds , sitting on the ground, and still hunting so it might be something light or when it doesn’t matter I might grab one of my heavyweight guns if I’m not carrying it a long ways.
I like choices and am fortunate I have a lot of them.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. &20ga.,
H&R 45-70 trapdoors, officers model & Calvary Carbine, more recently 256 Winchester magnum,44 magnum Shikari, 7-30 Waters in the making.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2021, 06:34:08 AM »
well if there was ever a no brainer its a #1 vs a H&R or tc. Absolute only advantage to the latter is cost. Especially today. Ruger is awful proud of them. But anyone with an Iq over 60 can look at one for 5 seconds and tell you which is the better gun. Heck even at the price of break open Toppers today you can buy a mossberg atr or a tc compass.
blue lives matter