Author Topic: squirrel call  (Read 2206 times)

Offline dryfly

• Trade Count: (0)
squirrel call
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:46 AM »

Looking for squirrel call . Olt had a good one several years ago that i just tapped against my leg . What is best in you folks experience ?

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: squirrel call
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:05 AM »
corn.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:20 AM »
I found a predator call at the foxpro site for $5 that sounds just like a squirrel in big trouble.
it'll make'em stick their heads up and look.
it's a small disc that fits your lips.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline dryfly

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »

Foxpro . Thanks Bugeye .

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I just mouth call em period.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »
I've used the ones with the bellows that you tap against your leg or between your hands, but had limited success with them (operator error???).

I've got one like BUGEYE mentioned and like he said it makes them take notice and often they will respond by barking excitedly and giving away their location.  Mine is a "Mr. Squirrel" brand, don't remember where I got it.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:02:08 AM »
Had no commercial calls when I was a kid growing up on the ranch, didn't even know if any were available in the 40's/early 50's.   So I made due, made all my own calls for all hunting.   For squirrel types, tree or ground, anything that you can make a sharp bark or chirp with can work, a striker... items not intended to be "calls" and you might have laying around the house/garage.   Endless possibilities to make a striker call.   Kids toys as well, like the old toy clickers used at parties, Halloween, etc.    Almost any mouth call can bark as well with practice, and making your own dedicated mouth squirrel calls is very easy also from household items.   Calls that mimic their predators might work sometimes as well, like a hawk screech, etc.    Even a squirrel tail can be used to get attention and invoke a reply sometimes to locate one, at least where snakes are a threat to them.   I view them all as locator calls.   However none of them always work... lots of other factors involved.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:46:44 AM »
I've used the ones with the bellows that you tap against your leg or between your hands, but had limited success with them (operator error???).

I've got one like BUGEYE mentioned and like he said it makes them take notice and often they will respond by barking excitedly and giving away their location.  Mine is a "Mr. Squirrel" brand, don't remember where I got it.
Mine was supposed to be a predator call, but it's very much like "mr. squirrel".  a buddy had one of those and they both work.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
The one I use is a bulb style squirrel call made by Hunter's Specialties.  You can make several types of calls with it - barks, chattering, alarm and young squirrel distress calls.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
knight and hale.
Let's go Brandon  !

Offline foxchase

squirrel call
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:26:14 AM »
I use a couple of different types.
Hunter's Specialty bellows call which you can tap or squeeze, a Mr. Squirrel distress whistle and a home made cutter call.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
I use an Olt bellows type of call. If a squirrel is barking for some reason, and I get it to answer me back--I'll kill that squirrel. Even if I have to walk 100 yards to get close enough. I have been doing it since high school in the 60's.

cybin

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
I've got an oldie goldie in original box from late 50's. Herters"Famous99 Squirrel call". 3 inch piece of walnut,hollowed out,thin brass plate over it,stainless knurled striker. Drawn down across the brass,it really sounds like a raspy barkin' tree rat. My old uncles both used it in their youth,as well as myself over last 40 yrs. Think I'll give it to my son.