Author Topic: Winchesters New .17 Super Mag  (Read 10495 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Winchesters New .17 Super Mag
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
I think the 17Win Super mag has a place where rimfire only hunting is allowed (Ft Sill comes to mind).Otherwise I will stick with my 22K hornet or 223 or 22-250 or  the list goes on and on ;D

Ft Sill still maintains their stance on rim fires but last year they made more strict rules that state the rimfire must be .22 cal only.  >:( Much of the state controlled wildlife management lands only permit use of rimfire too, but not a caliber restriction.

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Active Trader until 5-19-14 Graybeard

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
"Give someone a mandate to regulate and they, for some strange reason known only to bureaucrats, feel obligated to make regulations" (unknown)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:58 AM »
While I was in Florida I asked the wife to get me a couple of boxes of .17 Hornet.  I knew my partner wanted to go up on the slope after Arctic Fox when I got back.  I wanted to try out the .17 Hornet, in comparison with a .22 LR, .22 Mag, and the .17 HMR.  Arctic Fox are smaller than Red Fox, and more delicate.  She went to Wal-mart, and Fred Meyer and talked to clerks that were there who really did not know anything about guns and ammo.  They sold her .17 Mach II, .17 HMR, and one guy sold her some .17 Remington.  Not a big deal, I'll give the Mach II to a friend that shoots that.  The .17 Remington is shot by my partner, so he will take that one from me.  The .17 HMR I shoot myself so I can use it.  But she never did find .17 Hornet.  I finally found some at Sportsman's this week, so I'm good.

anyway this morning I sat her down at the table and we went over the different .17 and .22 cartridges.  I laid out the .17 Mach II beside a .22 LR, a .17 HMR beside a .22 Mag, a .17 Hornet beside a .22 Hornet, and a .17 Remington beside a .223.  She was familure with all the .22s, but the .17s were a mystery to her.  Now she understands, she also discovered I have bought the .17 Hornet, and two .22 Mags, that she never knew about.  Ooops.

I then showed her the .17 Super Mag cartridge in a magazine.  I hinted that would be next, she threw the magazine at me and said, "After I get my Arab".

Domestic Tranquility, it's such an allusive thing.  It comes and goes at the drop of a hat, or even a cartridge.  Oh Well, I'm going hunting, bye. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »
I didnt get the magazine thrown at me when I was recently informed about the new Appaloosa........does that mean I did better than you this time? :P
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
It wasn't until the Appaloosa was mentioned that I knew the Arab was a horse. ::)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline chamois1

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
That Arab had me scratching my head too Denny.
Eddie

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
I hinted that would be next, she threw the magazine at me and said, "After I get my Arab".

From the comments on this I guess there aren't to many horse people here.   :-\  I, on the other hand, knew exactly what you meant!   8)

What about an Anglo-Arab?   ;)

I made a similar deal with Kathie once...  :-\  I could get a new MC after she got a new house... We've been in the house almost 7 years now... still no new bike...  ::)  Now it isn't safe for me to ride...  :'(  Wimmins always get they way!   >:(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 05:19:34 AM »
 ??? I'm really startin' to have trouble distinguishing the 'Hijack Thread' from most everything else........... :P
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 05:30:44 AM »
??? I'm really startin' to have trouble distinguishing the 'Hijack Thread' from most everything else........... :P

Here, I'll help ya. I really hope that a 17HMR barrel can be rechambered to the new 17 WSM. :D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »
No doubt it can be rechambered, but being functional on an SS1 frame may be an issue.  ???

FWIW, Fred @4D expects to have a reamer the first week of February April. ;)

No comment on the ponies.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
FWIW, Fred @4D expects to have a reamer the first week of February. ;)
Tim

What year?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
Ah, er....who said February?  ::) :-[ ...he said first week of April in the email, my fingers typed February for some reason!   ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »
my fingers typed February for some reason!   ;)
Tim

I hate it when that happens. ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2013, 02:24:12 AM »
And I thought I was senile...  :-\

;D

I want a .17...  Guess I'd better start looking for a barrel!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2013, 04:12:13 AM »
'
While I was in Florida I asked the wife to get me a couple of boxes of .17 Hornet.  I knew my partner wanted to go up on the slope after Arctic Fox when I got back.  I wanted to try out the .17 Hornet, in comparison with a .22 LR, .22 Mag, and the .17 HMR.  Arctic Fox are smaller than Red Fox, and more delicate.  She went to Wal-mart, and Fred Meyer and talked to clerks that were there who really did not know anything about guns and ammo.  They sold her .17 Mach II, .17 HMR, and one guy sold her some .17 Remington.  Not a big deal, I'll give the Mach II to a friend that shoots that.  The .17 Remington is shot by my partner, so he will take that one from me.  The .17 HMR I shoot myself so I can use it.  But she never did find .17 Hornet.  I finally found some at Sportsman's this week, so I'm good.

anyway this morning I sat her down at the table and we went over the different .17 and .22 cartridges.  I laid out the .17 Mach II beside a .22 LR, a .17 HMR beside a .22 Mag, a .17 Hornet beside a .22 Hornet, and a .17 Remington beside a .223.  She was familure with all the .22s, but the .17s were a mystery to her.  Now she understands, she also discovered I have bought the .17 Hornet, and two .22 Mags, that she never knew about.  Ooops.

I then showed her the .17 Super Mag cartridge in a magazine.  I hinted that would be next, she threw the magazine at me and said, "After I get my Arab".

Domestic Tranquility, it's such an allusive thing.  It comes and goes at the drop of a hat, or even a cartridge.  Oh Well, I'm going hunting, bye.
'                            When I'm playing with my toys I like to take a cartridge from several calibers and line them up to compare them. Maybe if you did the same you could create a visual for her to emphasize the  hole in your line-up.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
Well I'm in it now anyway.  I bought a Fox Pro Fury II, and a .22 Mag pump this week.  Soooooooo, She applied for five jobs in Columbus and Atlanta Georgia, Nashville Tennessee, and Falls Church Virginia.  She also says the anti is now up to an Arab (the Black Stallion was an Arab) and a Friesian.  AAAAh, that's OK I want a Friesian my self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XJbSqwriM

A .17 Winchester Super Mag is now in the future, once someone markets them.  Especially since I will be moving to states that require a Rimfire.  With a .17 WSM and a .17 Hornet I'll be covered everywhere. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
Well I'm in it now anyway.  I bought a Fox Pro Fury II, and a .22 Mag pump this week.  Soooooooo, She applied for five jobs in Columbus and Atlanta Georgia, Nashville Tennessee, and Falls Church Virginia.  She also says the anti is now up to an Arab (the Black Stallion was an Arab) and a Friesian.  AAAAh, that's OK I want a Friesian my self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XJbSqwriM

A .17 Winchester Super Mag is now in the future, once someone markets them.  Especially since I will be moving to states that require a Rimfire.  With a .17 WSM and a .17 Hornet I'll be covered everywhere.

WOW Roger, What a animal, absolutely stunning!!!!

What pump did you get ?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
I got the Henry.  They are the only ones making a pump .22 Mag here in the states.  I don't want a Rossi pump.

I have Remington Pumps in 30-06, .35 Whelen, and a .22 S, L, LR.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
Please tell me/us what you think and how it works.... When I was diciding on a new Henry maggie, the Henry rep I was speaking with advised I go lever. Too many problems with the pumps!

I have a beautiful orig Win 62 and would love a 61M to go with it!!  Orig are too costly so Henry is only option...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2019, 04:47:56 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2021, 06:37:00 AM »
Well I picked up a Savage bolt WSM pencil barrel. I went thru allot with it and now its a very good shooter able to keep its 25g bullets well under 1" and Its been proven fine if our Coyotes here. But we dont get long shots.

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2021, 04:24:10 PM »
I've looked at these,  they seem very interesting.  I have a friend who has a semi auto Volquarten in this caliber I believe.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.