Author Topic: Can squirrels see blaze orange?  (Read 13417 times)

Offline THE_HUNTERIAM

• Trade Count: (1)
Can squirrels see blaze orange?
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:20 AM »
Been wrestling with this for years. Can squirrels see blaze orange? Anyone out there using blaze camouflage for deer have squirrels not notice you? I know birds like crows an turkeys sure can see it, always hunted in camo or drabs for squirrel but for safety would like blaze in moderation. Thanks!

Offline THE_HUNTERIAM

Re: Can squirrels see blaze orange?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:55:05 AM »
Found this online:
Squirrels can see colors, but in most cases, it is not the orange color that alerts game, but the material. Do not wear a hat or vest made with shiny orange nylon. Instead, choose orange garments made with softer material that does not reflect as much light. Also, avoid hunter orange on your legs and arms.[/size]

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2009/06/05/early-season-squirrel-hunting/#ixzz23XJww0Di

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
I have had them all around me while on a deer stand some comming down a tree I was leaning back on. I had on a orange vest out of polor fleese or orange ball hat. I have had deer walk up also. What alerts game is movement as small as moving a mouth or blinking etc.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline spruce

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
However they see orange it doesn't seem to alarm them as long as there is no movement.  I also have had them up close while sitting on deer stands with orange hat and vest on.  As a matter of fact I once dozed off while sitting with my back against a tree and my legs outstretched and woke up when a big fox squirrel jumped up on my lower leg - not sure which one of us jumped the farthest.

Good tip about not wearing orange on the legs or arms (and in my opinion any other solid color) as they are the body parts that move the most, along with the head.

I don't know if it's true or not but I have read that blue is a color that alarms birds and at least some mammals???  I have some doubts about that (as far as mammals go) because blue jeans have been part of my squirrel hunting "uniform" most of my life - and that's what I was wearing when the fox squirrel jumped on my leg!

Offline THE_HUNTERIAM

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Thank you all for the comments and clearing up this mystery for me. Good luck this season to you all! 8)

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »
Also avoid brightners when washing your hunting blaze orange.
 :)   Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Another thing that scares game is noise like the scratching of those shinny nylon vests against brush. I prefer drab plads to camo. Soft drab plads like wool.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline FPH

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »
They just see, smell and hear you.^^^^^^wool is a good material.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:05:02 AM »
If they could not see orange they would run into a lot of leaves in the fall ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
Short answer: yes but my experience is that they notice movement much more than color.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 05:33:01 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
 One deer season late morning it was getting warm & I was feeling like a nap was in order. I climbed down from my stand and leaned back against the tree. I was wearing blaze orange camo and half sleeping when I head something coming. I had a squirrel walk right up to me and bump into the bottom of my boot. At that point it looked up at me and made eye contact. It ran pretty fast after that. I don't think the blaze orange did anything to spook it.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 01:37:03 AM »
in my experience if your still it doesn't much matter what your wearing. But solid colors especially bright colors and even bright camo like hunter orange camo are more apparent to game if you do move.
blue lives matter

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
Squirrels have dichromatic color vision. This means that squirrels can distinguish red and green from other colors but cannot tell red and green from each other. This kind of color vision closely resembles red-green color blindness in humans. Now since orange is a combination of red/yellow, and some humans with red/green color blindness have a hard time seeing Blaze Orange, it's my guess that squirrels have a hard time seeing it, or at least distinguishing it from green camo. With squirrels the type of fabric the orange is on seems to make a difference as well as the amount of light available. Many times with game animals, until a color is associated with danger, they tend to ignore it as long as there is not movement involved. But, some fabrics  and detergents with color brighteners will attract attention to hunters, even when they are motionless. Around here, the DNR suggests wearing Blaze orange while moving during Turkey Hunting and to tie a orange rag somewhere close to you when sitting in camo while turkey hunting. But I can tell you without a doubt, that turkeys see orange and identify the color with humans. Once the gun deer season has started around here, turkeys will go out of their way to avoid anything Blaze Orange. We have deer seasons that extend into the late fall turkey season so blaze orange must be worn while hunting. It is impossible, at least where I hunt, to get a wild  turkey within shotgun/bow range when wearing the legal amount of blaze orange.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
Years ago when I first started hunting, the common safety color was red.  I bought a red soft cotton felt hat that I wore on my first hunting trip back in the 1970's.  That hat didn't survive my Ahole brother and I've not seen another like it for sale in all these years...

It's hard to find anything in Hunter Orange today that isn't made from a synthetic fiber.  For what it's worth the old guys I talked to back in the day swore that a smart hunter would wear only natural fibers that had no blue or yellow color.  I was also told to only wash them with soap, not detergent and to use well water if I could get it.  It seems deer can see yellow and blue very well but are red/green color blind.  Shades of red and green look gray to them...

About squirrels, I can't help you with that...

Tony