Author Topic: Any idea how this bullet would do in a Huntsman?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Any idea how this bullet would do in a Huntsman?
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:36:08 AM »
It's the Lyman 575213, http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-blackpowder.php?entryID=91, that's for sale in the classifieds.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Any idea how this bullet would do in a Huntsman?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
I think it would work better in the 58 cal huntsman than the 50 or 45 cals.  :o ::) ;D

Sorry Richard, wife says I am a PIA and occassionally I agree with her. ;)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
I was reading the Lyman literature, trying to find out if there was a different model number for a bullet mold for a 50Cal bullet, guess I didn't read bb's post (the next post) quickly enough. 

That said, regarding the question, not too good in any but the .58 Cal Huntsman.

But, IIRCC that's the caliber Huntsman, Richard owns.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »
You guys are a big help...  ::)

I tell ya.  You ask a simple question around this place and look what you get!   >:(

So let me clarify this a bit:   ::)   ;D

I have an old 58 cal Huntsman.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I have some round balls I intend to try in it.  Obviously (to everyone but BB and OSR) I also haven't selected a mould for projectiles to use in it.

This Lyman (mini-ball?) bullet looks interesting.  And since there is one for sale in the classifieds I would like to know if anyone has had any experience shooting this, or a like bullet in the Huntsman or a replica rifled musket?  ???

I also have a 45 cal Huntsman but I'm gonna get a combination REAL bullet/round ball mould for it even though the twist is a little slow for my liking for the REAL bullet...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »
Richard,

I ran that bullet on a stability calculator with 1:66 twist at velocity up to 1300 FPS and it says it isn't stablize.  I think the truth would be the exact opposite because the bullet center of mass is way forward and it isn't that long compared to the diameter.   I would almost bet that type of bullet would be fairly stable out of a smoothbore.  Even if it doesn't rotate that fast the shuttlecock design should let it fly like a dart.  I have a friend with a 58 cal Huntsman and I think he has shot conicals out of it.  I will see if I can get him to post on his experience.

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
Thanks Tom!  What you say makes sence, I'd just hate to buy the mould just to 'speriment!   :-\

I got to look up the rate of twist on the .58's.  I know the .45 is on the slow side but I can't remember what the .58 is...  :-[
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »
Thanks Tom!  What you say makes sence, I'd just hate to buy the mould just to 'speriment!   :-\

I got to look up the rate of twist on the .58's.  I know the .45 is on the slow side but I can't remember what the .58 is...  :-[

1:66 twist for the 58 cal huntsman per the facts. 

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
Richard send me your address and I will send ya some to try . I know it don't help much w/the purchace of the mould...but I am pretty sure the ones I will send you are the same bullet. I have not shot them a whole bunch as I have a fairly large supply of the No Excuses 58's which I use for hunting. Also I shot these using Shockey's 2F Gold which is pretty chunky and fairly slow powder. These bullets fit fairly loose but with the nice hollow base they seem to seal bore pretty well. 50 yard accuracy was exceptable. I use Crisco when loading them also 65-70gr 2F. Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
You guys are a big help... ::)

I tell ya.  You ask a simple question around this place and look what you get!   >:(

So let me clarify this a bit:   ::)   ;D

I have an old 58 cal Huntsman.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I have some round balls I intend to try in it.  Obviously (to everyone but BB and OSR) I also haven't selected a mould for projectiles to use in it.

This Lyman (mini-ball?) bullet looks interesting.  And since there is one for sale in the classifieds I would like to know if anyone has had any experience shooting this, or a like bullet in the Huntsman or a replica rifled musket?  ???

I also have a 45 cal Huntsman but I'm gonna get a combination REAL bullet/round ball mould for it even though the twist is a little slow for my liking for the REAL bullet...  :-\
Glad to be of assistance!  ;D

Counselor,
I wish to direct the attention of the court to my statement: 
That said, regarding the question, not too good in any but the .58 Cal Huntsman.

But, IIRCC that's the caliber Huntsman, Richard owns.

I believe that's your name. ;) ;D
Sorry, I couldn't be of any help.  I have to plead ignorance, on this subject, or should I have taken the fifth? :-[ :-X
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:21 AM »
should I have taken the fifth? :-[ :-X

Don't know 'bout takin a fifth but I drunk more then a few in my drinkin days!   :P   Wait... do they even have fifths anymore?   ???
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »

Don't know 'bout takin a fifth but I drunk more then a few in my drinkin days!   :P   Wait... do they even have fifths anymore?   ???

750 ml and the bottle is plastic. :P

BB

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »

750 ml and the bottle is plastic. :P

BB
I think that fifth put me under the table. :-[   Please don't step on me as you walk by. :P

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
Richard,I think your mystery bullets came from this topic. Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
Kurt,
You got a memory like an elephant, I forgot all about this one.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:30 AM »
Me also!   :o

But lets me told u whut happins!   ;D

I bought a mould to use with my 357 Maxie and the seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a Lyman 575213!  So now I have one!   ;D   I hope Tom is right about it shooting MB's and I have read reports that it does well with that mould.  We will see...  ;)

Oops!  almost forgot!  That seller was Jason F.  Great member, great person!  And while I'm at it... Tom (BikerBeans) is pretty cool his own self!   :D  Tom sent me a set of open sights for my Maxie barrel and Jason sent me the screw for the front sight that Tom didn't have!

Ain't GBO a great place!?  Made so by GREAT PEOPLE!!!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Old and Gray

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
Sorry to jump on late.  I have the old Huntsman .58 with the press-in breech plug.  I have a variable Bushnell BP scope on it.  I load with 90 grains of 2F and a Great Plains hollow point, hollow base bullet and it will group 3" or better at 100 yards (I won't take a BP shot over 75 though).  I've rolled deer over when hit and never missed with it when deer hunting.  You won't find much info on it because of the deaths resulting from misfires but if you understand BP it should be a safe gun to use.  I tried round balls, cast mini's and every patch material there is, horrible ballistics.  A guy told me to load the way I mentioned and I've had no problems since.  JM2cW
OaG
"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible."
George Washington

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
I have the old Huntsman .58 with the press-in breech plug.

That's the same as mine.

I have a variable Bushnell BP scope on it.

I didn't think mine was drilled and tapped for a scope mount.   :-\  I'll have to check again!

I load with 90 grains of 2F and a Great Plains hollow point, hollow base bullet and it will group 3" or better at 100 yards (I won't take a BP shot over 75 though).

Well!  That's' good news!   ;D  I've always liked the GP bullets but didn't know if the twist in the Huntsman would be fast enough to stabilize it!

You won't find much info on it because of the deaths resulting from misfires but if you understand BP it should be a safe gun to use.

I tried round balls, cast mini's and every patch material there is, horrible ballistics...

Could you expound on these last two statements?   ???
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 04:50:08 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!