Author Topic: Hunting on Sunday...here we go again!  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Bingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hunting on Sunday...here we go again!
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
  There is a group that is going to take the hunting ban to the Pa. Statre Supreme Court. After the last bill to permitt hunting on Sunday never came to a vote, A group of sportsman thought the best way to be heard now is at the Supreme court.
   The court costs are estemated at $70,000 to $150,000. The group is trying to raise the money in a grass roots campain.
   I for one will be making a contributation.

I found the information by typing in  Hunting on Sunday in Pa. supreme court.

I also found the groups address at www.Huntsunday.com

Offline dave22250

Re: Hunting on Sunday...here we go again!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:18:06 AM »
I hope it never passes,I know a few farmers that said if it passes they will post there property,they don't want people there on sun.because of family sun dinners.

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »
  It's their property and they can do as they wish, However, the most logical and open minded idea is to simply post the property "No Sunday Hunting".
  Lets face a fact, There are not as many hunters as there used to be. Our numbers are droping and most states permitt Sunday hunting.
  If they weren't such left wing liberal gun haters the ACLU and Americans for the Seperation of Church and State would be all over this fight. No Sunday hunting is the last bastian of the old blue laws when you couldn't even buy a gallon of milk on Sunday. It's time for a change!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
Well, I've stated my opinion on this several times and I really don't care one way or the other...

But if it passes, will you purchase my "No Sunday Hunting" signs for me Bingo?...

I could probably use several hundred and it would seem a small price for the advocates of Sunday hunting to purchase for the ones who don't wish to have Sunday hunting on their property...

Just a thought...

Still, good-luck with the efforts to hunt on Sunday...

BCB

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »
  BCB I agree! If a land owner permitts hunting all week but does not want anyone on the land on Sunday, the game commision should provide the signs. Private land is hard enough to find and the land owner would have to invest the time to place the signs.
  On the other hand, a sportsman should no be hunting on anyones property without permission. This being said, the hunters should know what the land owner wants and doesn't want and should respect his wishes.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
I think hunting should be allowed on Sunday. It gets portrayed as a hold-over of 'blue laws', but that's balony; all the guys that I know who hunt and also go to church, would be fine with hunting on Sunday (and be down in time for 11am svc)

most of the folks who want to retain prohibition are anti-gun, anti-hunting types... and most of them despise blue laws, and could care less that this will somehow interfere with church or some wider Day of Rest.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:10:01 AM »
I think hunting should be allowed on Sunday. It gets portrayed as a hold-over of 'blue laws', but that's balony; all the guys that I know who hunt and also go to church, would be fine with hunting on Sunday (and be down in time for 11am svc)

most of the folks who want to retain prohibition are anti-gun, anti-hunting types... and most of them despise blue laws, and could care less that this will somehow interfere with church or some wider Day of Rest.

While I am not involved in the Penn Sunday Hunting issue, I would like to offer an opinion from Ky.  Years ago we had the same debate.  I am too young to remember all of the details, but I can tell you how hunting on Sunday has turned out.  The churches all wanted the ban, most of the population had no opinion, and the sportsman groups wanted the ban lifted.

In the end the ban was lifted, and everyone moved on to other issues.  Hunting on any day is a moral issue, and the states or any government body should not be involved (with the possible exception of setting bag limits, and season dates).  The day of rest and going to church is between the individual and God.  Again no room for governmental rules.  Here in Ky Sunday hunting is just not done by some (me included most of the time) and church attendance has not suffered due to this.  If you allow other sporting activities on Sunday why should hunting be any different?? As for posting Property, the hunter must ask and get written permission to hunt any property other than what they own.  Here the land owner, or farmer, sets the rules of the property.  Clean simple "gentlemens agreements" are enough, not the rule of law.

Just my 2 cents, worth what ya paid for it.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »
...Just my 2 cents, worth what ya paid for it.

Pretty good value, in this case  ;)
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:20:16 AM »
I believe as a general rule most PA hunters are resistant to change.
I believe the idea that animals need a day of rest is a crock.  The hawks, fox, coyotes, coons and other predators don't give their prey a day off.  It takes weeks before deer (which is the main point here) return to truely return to normal patterns.
Farmers will post their property.  Again I call bull.  You need permission period.  I own my property and can make whatever rules I want to guests who are on my property.  Don't want hunting on mondays, thursday and sunday then that is what it is.  I have one property that I have permission to archery hunt M-F.  The owner and his family get together and hunt on saturday.  I also cannot hunt opening day of rifle or within 200 yards of the house.  Yep 150 yards farther than the saftey zone, but the owners wife watches several kids during the week and said farther than required by law.  Guess what their property their rules.
I believe families are differant than decades ago.  Kids are in more activities.  Most families require both spouses to work.  More companies are going with smaller work forces and paying the required weekend overtime to save on the ever rising health care costs.  An ever rising number of people are losing their jobs that they have worked for years with high vaction time accrued.
While everyone likes to point at our large number of license sales.  A large number of them are opening day junkies.  SGL that is a sea of orange opening day is often void by friday with a much smaller influx the first saturday and hardly a soul the second saturday of rifle.
I believe the time for sunday hunting is near if not already here.

My grandfather loves to say that opinions are like.......................(You know the end) and these are mine.  I don't expect everyone to agree with me and honestly could care less if you don't.
Fa
NRA Member

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »
Okay all pro Sunday hunters.Did any of you know in some of WMU it has been proposed for a 7 day deer season?I happen to live in one the units.You keep saying it won't affect the heard.Think you need to do some more research.Plus use more of your vacation time for hunting.

Offline manofthe45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 06:41:02 AM »
I would like to know the source of this cut to 7 day season.  I usually either head to harrisburg or watch the meetings online and read the minutes.  I know they are always looking at differant wmu's to inclusion or removal from the 7 day doe season, but have seen nothing about cutting the entire rifle season to 7 days.

Vacation time for hunting arguement again.  I guess you aren't one of the people that lost a 20/30 year job and those weeks of vaction time.  Did you know alot of jobs will restrict vacation between thanksgiving and new years or worked for a union shop where vaction time is pulled by time worked and restricted to a certain number per week.  Lets see save your personal days only to find that the 2 people allowed off for the day is already filled.  A job that has shutdown weeks and requires you to use vaction time to cover it.(Hint not much open the week of the 4th of july)  Guessing no family that deserves to get away also.
Yep so darn easy to just say save your vacation time
NRA Member

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »
Several years ago NY lifted its no hunting on Sundays ban. To be honest, nothing ever changed. Deer population actually grew(nothing to do with Sunday hunting), hunting accident rates never changed, and I never seen an increase in posted land. People can speculate all they want, but when the smoke clears I think you will find all the paranoia was just that.

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
It was in Pa. Game News.I actually only use about 3 days of vacation for rifle season.Which I get 21 paid days off.Where I work it is based on first come,first serve.Plus how much of a suck up you are.The seniority is basically last.Seems everybody has time for everything else but never hunting.If you hunted in a depleted area your opinon would be different.I haven't shot a doe in close to 8 years.That was with a flintlock.Which flintlock season was my favorite.Last season was the first I have seen older doe in some time.Think that is only because a lot of people quit hunting.When people quit hunting a lot of bad stuff can happen.It opens the door for a lot of the anti groups in.

Offline manofthe45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
I don't get that rag.  Any chance you remember which month and I will try to grab a copy
NRA Member

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
No I don't,saw it in the doctors office.When they raised the price,quit getting it.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »
 Bingo—I was only joking with you about you purchasing the “No Sunday Hunting” signs for me…

In all honesty, the poster signs are about as good as the person who owns the land and is “on patrol” to make sure the signs are obeyed.  But, I have never really cared telling a person what to do if he/she has a firearm in his/her immediate use!...

As far as people asking permission to hunt on not-posted land, well, that is sort of a joke also.  I know of many people who merely say, “Well, it isn’t posted.”  They figure that gives them the O.K. to hunt…

But in fairness, where I live, I have a small piece of property and there are a couple of young hunters (mid-20’s) and they asked to hunt on it.  Not a problem for me as I don’t hunt on this property and it allows them to get next to several large tracts of land that are posted.  Deer and turkey can’t read poster signs we know, and they do wonder onto my property.  And so that goes…

But from what I have read, it seems that this effort by the pro-Sunday hunters might be a major blitz to try to get it passed and legal to do the Sunday hunting.  It will be interesting as to how the Commish handles this…

But if it does “cut the mustard” and passes, heck, I might just go to my little cabin on Sunday morning, have a couple of eggs over easy, and take a walk and see if I might find whatever is in season at that time.  Probably taste as good if shot on Sunday as compared to Saturday or Wednesday…

Good-luck to you pro-Sunday hunters.  I can deal with it either way I suppose…

BCB

Offline dave22250

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
If they pass it I will be next one to quit hunting.......

Offline keith44

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
If they pass it I will be next one to quit hunting.......

so you would quit hunting because laws were changed to allow others to hunt on Sunday, instead of just not hunting on Sunday??

Sorry I don't understand.
Life member NRA

Offline dave22250

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
I'm siding with the farmers they want one day without people running around shooting,one day of peace and quiet.

Offline keith44

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
makes sense, but then again since the farmers allow or restrict hunting on the land they control it should be a non-issue.  (but should be and is often are not the same)
Life member NRA

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
  Kieth 44 makes a lot of sence and his point was stated before.

A lot of folks also seem to narrow in on deer season. Deer season is not the only time to hunt. I have friends with Bird dogs and I have a beagle. When I leave for work it is dark. when I come home it is dark. that leaves me only one day to hunt.
  I am also a father and a Scout leader. I love hunting with my boy and have taken many Scouts hunting too. Give me more time to do it and even more boys will learn to hunt and cook what they shoot.
  In fact, I'm looking for a used cross bow for one of my Scouts. He is going blind and cannot shoot a regular bow. If someone has a used one and could let go of cheap I'd love to get one for this kid. Wouldn't that be cool, in the years to come when he can no longer see, He could touch his mount and say "I took that deer in archery season."
  I realize I just went a little off coarse, But Sunday hunting would just give me more time for this kind of stuff.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »
Several years ago NY lifted its no hunting on Sundays ban. To be honest, nothing ever changed. Deer population actually grew(nothing to do with Sunday hunting), hunting accident rates never changed, and I never seen an increase in posted land. People can speculate all they want, but when the smoke clears I think you will find all the paranoia was just that.
I'm from New York and agree with Terry1.  The only thing that changed was the opportunity for working men to hunt both weekend days.  I didn't notice any neew posted signs that went up, and the farmers that I know didn't care about the extra day.  Of course, the season here is 3 weeks long in the southern zone, and longer in the northern zone.  I don't understand the reason for PA's short season unless the hunters in PA are much better hunters than those in NY, and the deer would be totally wiped out with a longer season.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:42:32 AM »
I believe the fight against Sunday hunting is a pointless one. The argument of noise and disturbance has absolutely no merit. I hunt crow, which can be done on Sunday and go through boxes of shells when im onto a large roost. One shot, maybe two at a deer and its a disturbance? Can't forget coyote either. I think the farmers who will post  their property if Sunday hunting is allowed are those who would post it on a whim anyway. Kind of like the kid growing up who couldn't pitch in a baseball game so he took his ball and bat and went home.
Bring on Sunday hunting.........im all for it.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »
I believe the fight against Sunday hunting is a pointless one. The argument of noise and disturbance has absolutely no merit. I hunt crow, which can be done on Sunday and go through boxes of shells when im onto a large roost. One shot, maybe two at a deer and its a disturbance? Can't forget coyote either. I think the farmers who will post  their property if Sunday hunting is allowed are those who would post it on a whim anyway. Kind of like the kid growing up who couldn't pitch in a baseball game so he took his ball and bat and went home.
Bring on Sunday hunting.........im all for it.

I don’t know if “noise and disturbance” is an argument against Sunday hunting or not.  You hunt crows on Sunday—all well and good.  But, I don’t think that is a valid comparison for “noise and disturbance”…

I haven’t seen a crow hunter on my property in I don’t know how many years.  But I sure do see deer hunters.  I suspect deer hunters outnumber crow hunters a hundred to one or probably even a greater number.  So there certainly would be more deer hunters than crow hunters or even coyote hunters in the woods on Sundays…

As I have said, I really don’t care one way or the other is Sunday hunting occurs.  I might even hunt some too if I am at my property and the urge hits me…

Concerning the kid with the baseball and bat—if he bought them and paid the taxes on them, he damn straight can take them home if he isn’t allowed to pitch—don’t you think?  Let the cry babies by their own baseballs and bats.  There is no requirement that I have ever read that demands sharing, although it might be the correct thing to do…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
  Flash, now that is exactly why I started this post. To gain support for a group that is trying to make a change. My purpose was not to stir up a debate again.  I've sent in my check, how about you?

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
It seems to me that about 99% of private land is already posted anyway.  Either by the farmers or people who lease hunting rights.  The point being your going to have to talk to the landowner, even on the small percentage of "unposted" land, if you want to hunt there.  Any landowner who doesn't want Sunday hunting could certainly make their wishes known then.
The farmers I know who actually grow crops other than hay view deer as a plague that needs to be wiped out.  I figure they'd add more days to the week if they could so more would get killed.