Author Topic: i just got a 10' jon boat what do i need to get fishing  (Read 3430 times)

Offline fishermaninjv

• Trade Count: (0)
i just got a 10' jon boat what do i need to get fishing
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »
i just got a 10' jon boat what do i need to get fishing it is just empty also it has what looks like a drain hole in back i plug that right

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: i just got a 10' jon boat what do i need to get fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:24 AM »
I like this type of plug. http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Snap-Tite-Bailer-1-Inch-Brass/dp/B000MT95NM It's just easier for me to flip the arm over. The ones that you screw to tighten are a little hard to get out sometimes. Most of them have a 1 inch hole, just check and see what size yours is. You will need a life jacket for each person, paddle and probably a dip net. Beyond that it's up to you. Maybe a trolling motor and battery. Most places make you buy a tag if it's powered. Some places make you have a fire extinguisher and throw life preserver if it's powered as well. Maybe even navigation lights if out after dark. Just check your state laws. You can have it as simple or as complex as you want. You will probably want a 5 gallon bucket for the fish as well. Rod holders on the side will keep you from stepping on the rods.
Good luck.
Molon labe

Offline fishermaninjv

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »
i want a nice set up but i broke lol i auctually made my on live well but how would i wire my stuff nice and whats a good cheep fish finder just something for how deep,temp and fish alarm

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »
you need a bigger boat

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
Unless you are in a small pond, you need a bigger boat.....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
If you want a thrill put a 10 horse motor on it!  You will think you are in one of those high speed racing boats ;D   I wouldn't suggest this unless you are still in your teens because I think God was protecting those of us who didn't know better at the time!  If the tiller was moved at all it felt the the boat was going to flip!!!  I'm amazed we didn't deep six the little boat that day!  Young and dumb :o

A 3 horse motor or an electric motor would be great for that boat.  Did a lot of trips down the river catfishing in one of those in my youth ;D   Keep it simple and just enjoy the fishing.  Sometimes we can get carried away with all the stuff!

Good fishing,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Electric trolling motor with long cables so you and the motor is on one end and the battery is on the other. Keeps the far end from sticking up in the air and aggravating the fire out of you every time the wind blows. Also stay on smaller waters. Have caught many a fish from a small boat like yours. Also wear a life jacket, the little narrow boats flip pretty easily. Be safe, have fun.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

A 10' jon boat is almost too small for much STUFF. 1 man with a little gear is about all it can handle safely. They will flip really easilly unless it is really deep(boat).
  A short shaft ele. trolling motor and a marine battery is a big plus, life jackets, bailing device, fish well(whatever), paddle, whistle, tackle box(es), rod & reels, dip net and you and your little jon is already overloaded.
  Please use care and don't turn too quickly, avoid boat wakes as much as possible especially if you are broadside to them.
  I have a 12' semi vee and it is also too small for the main water and it is a kinda deep boat.
  Fishing is fun, safety first,
  Be sure to read the state regulations on boating, which includes all requirements too.
  HM

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
Dude !! :o

How much do you weigh??
Hopefully there is a plate on that boat somewhere with the safe carrying capacity indicated.
I've got a 14 ft model and that is just the minimum for myself and wife with a 4 HP gas motor.

I would suggest that you sit in the middle( fore and aft) and get some oars. Forget a motor of any kind and see what sort of built in flotation that boat has. Don't forget a PFD!!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
I went fishing in a 10' boat with another adult of about my size/weight. I will NEVER do that again. A 10' boat is barely capable of dealing with a single adult and their gear. Forget motors use a paddle and don't take it out other than on a farm pond and use a life perserver at all times.

I'm too old and have breathing problems. No way I'd get on water in a 10' boat again. You can get a wide 12' and be safe but even at 14' those with 32" wide bottoms are way tippy. A 12' or 14' with no less than 36" bottom width and better yet 40" is about the smallest I'd trust my fat butt in these days.

I used to have a 15' 42" wide bottom boat and I could stand on the side and it would not tip over. Hey I was a LOT younger and more agile then. Now I have a hard enough time standing on flat ground.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline fishermaninjv

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:58 AM »
i am 17 and weigh 150 and i didnt plan on a outdoor motor just a trolling motor just something i can catfish in i just want to get out on the water how much do these boats sell for if i was going to sell it

Offline fishermaninjv

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »
i ant  worried about tipping it either i am a very active 17 year old i skateboard every day and i love swimming

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
If swimming is your plan, you'll have plenty of opportunities with that boat.
You may have as much as 350 lb carrying capacity..........maybe.

GB
I've had an 8 foot Zodiac that was a very different story, used in on the west coast salt chuck in some awful weather. Got wet but never had to swim for it. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
If you are that young, light and agile then you might get by with it. I still recommend a PFD at all times tho. A trolling motor and battery is plenty of power for such a small boat. I'd still say do not take it out on rivers/streams or large impoundments.

If you have no one else in the boat with you, limit your gear weight and remain seated to fish rather than trying to stand you might be OK. Being young, healthy and a good swimmer is in your favor.

The plate on it should give you the capacity but most of them I've seen assuming it's a 10' falt bottom jon boat run from a low of about 225 to a high of about 325 pounds. That's a pretty narrow margin even for on person if you add a battery, trolling motr and your fishing gear. I would recommend a fish stringer or metal net to keep your fish in outside the boat rather than a life well or such inside it. Water is heavy and you really don't want much of it in the boat with you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
That boats pretty small and definitely a 1 person boat and not for wide open waters that can get rough.
It should be a 1032 boat and if so rated for a max 3 hp motor and a total weight capacity of 365lbs counting motor, fuel, passengers and gear.  By the time you put a 2.5 hp Honda or Mercury on it, carry 5 gallons of fuel, a battery and small electric trolling motor you will have about 200 lbs left over for passenger and gear.  Thats not a whole lot. 
You will also need to have a red/green navigation light at the front of the boat and 1 x 360 degree white light in the rear.  You will need about a 10 lbs anchor and a good 100ft of anchor line and 15 feet of chain anchor rode.  You will also need to have a life jacket for each passenger, day/night signal devices.  You will also want a paddle.  A small fire extinguisher will likely be required too.  Once you put a motor of any kind on it electric or gas, you will likely need to register it annually.
It will get you out on the water in ponds, rivers and protected coves on larger lakes.  A better option for you might be a kayak.  Have you considered that?

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
In such a small boat- you need to be able to swim, stay out of cold water , stay out of windy areas and WEAR A LIFE JACKET. One wrong move and you could be in the water in a heart beat. I would only use it on farm ponds if it were me.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline fishermaninjv

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:55 AM »
thank you for the help

Offline KNIFE_NUT_1981

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
You really don't need all that... Sounds like you're just trying to catch a few fish... A cheap 30# thrust trolling motor from Wal-Mart, a good deep cycle marine battery, a good paddle, a couple life jackets, a couple fishing poles, a tackle box, landing net, a stringer, and a pretty girl to smile at, and you're all set! Might consider a good length of rope and a small anchor too... Happy fishing, and good luck!

Offline KNIFE_NUT_1981

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I'm with Graybeard on the livewell thing though, your boat's too small for that, it's just unnecessary weight. A good stringer is all you need. String your fish through the botton lip, rather than the gill, so they'll stay alive longer, drill a small hole and mount an eye bolt just under the side rail about mid way on one side to tie your stringer to, and make sure to tie it up short enough to keep your fish out of the trolling motor! Keep to the calm water, and get back to dry land by dark, and you've got nothing to worry about...

Offline KNIFE_NUT_1981

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »
Don't let these guys scare you into selling it! Try it out first, see how you like it. If you feel comfortable fishing in it, then go for it! If you feel like you need something bigger and more stable, then consider selling it. I think you will be more than happy with it if you just watch the weather and be careful. Small boats are alot of fun! Just make sure you plug that hole in the back first.....

Offline KNIFE_NUT_1981

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 09:01:16 PM »
Post pics. We want to see it!

Offline fishermaninjv

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:55 AM »
ha ha i think i got everything but a cute girl to smile at cant find one of those but ill post pics once i take some camera grew legs got to find it first