Author Topic: Old Johnson Sea Horse  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Horsefeathers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Old Johnson Sea Horse
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
I was reading an old post on old motors and it brought to mind A 1957 Johnson sea Horse 35 HP motor I have. It belonged to my brother who purchased it in August of 1957 after his old motor hit a submerged piling and smashed the lower unit. He used it for two months and then gave up boating, but kept the motor.Through the years the exterior got mishandeled.But it starts right up. My son is a marine mechanic and i have been waiting six years for him to revitilize it. Is it worth anything as an antique?  Horsefeathers.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Old Johnson Sea Horse
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
Don't know the answer to your question but an old 5-1/2 HP seahorse is what powered us for years. I have no real idea what model it was but likely was from the 40s or very early 50s as I recall it in use at least in the early to mid 50s and it sure wasn't new at the time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline .54

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:32:50 AM »
I wouldn't know the value as an antique but I have an old Johnson Sea Horse 40 that I still use. It still fires right up and runs like a new one. Use it out on the Ohio river from time to time and it still has plenty of life in it. You should get that old one fixed up and put it to use.

Offline KNIFE_NUT_1981

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
No idea what it's worth, but if you're considering selling it, and find out what you think you might ask for it, let me know. I love the look, feel, and sound of old outboards. If it were mine, I'd hang on to it though... You should fix that thing up, and hang it on a good old boat!

Offline KNIFE_NUT_1981

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »
How bout a picture?? We'd love to see it!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:15:07 AM »
When i lived in NJ we had a neighbor that had a bunch of old outboards he would work on.
He had an old wooded work boat in the marina behind the house and would take the boat out to fish.
He often would pull people back to the Marina I worked in that broke down, and tell them the motor was a 1935 this or a 40's that and just smile and putter away.
I say if you want to use it, use it.
I do not think it would be worth anthing as a collectors Outboard, but you never know.