Author Topic: LED advice  (Read 656 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
LED advice
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:24 AM »
I plan to switch the incandescent navigation lights on my pontoon boat to LED.  The bow lights are Perko and I think I can just buy replacements and wire them in.  The problem I see is the stern light on the bracket that holds the folding awning.  This light is pretty much built into the bracket with a short pole and the light on top.  The globe is unscrewed to change bulbs, but replacing the enitire pole & light would be hard.  I wonder if I can buy a bulb with built in LEDs and use that.  Any ideas?

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: LED advice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
Most likely there is a conversion for the bulb. Let's say the bulb size was 6042 just type that and led in google and maybe there is a simple screw in led. If not it most likely wouldn't be hard to jump wires off the base and put some leds in there. I would imagine the socket would come out of the end of the pipe, or you could just solder to the socket itself with jumper wires. Put in a little thing to keep the led from bouncing around on waves and you are set. A quick search for 12v led gave a lot of results, here's one. http://universal-leds.com/Bright12VoltLEDs.aspx
Molon labe