Author Topic: My Freezer is full......How are you doing  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Bingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
My Freezer is full......How are you doing
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »
   My Boy dropped the last deer we needed for our freezer yesterday afternoon. He shot it at 280yrds. with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. That is the second time I've seen that gun take the identical shot but that was the longest shot my Boy has taken. The kid is good!
   OK, like I said, my freezer is full so how are you doing with your shopping in Gods grocery store?
Add a few details too. I like hearing about good shots, bad shots and the interesting ways you harvested your game.

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: My Freezer is full......How are you doing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »
Mine is full also. I had Norman Johnson rebore a Winchester 88 to 358 for me, and he just finished it. I should get it back early this week but have used all my tags! Might have to take it over to NY to test it out. We have seen a lot of bucks this season, my daughter killed a 10 pointer, I have it caped and will bring it to Strouse to have it mounted. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
Its been a bit weird around here with the mild weather no one is moving around, the deer aren't moving either...lol.
  On a side note the deer look good and healthy this year,
  i got a doe sat(my first with my own handloads) 243 at 75yds with a 90gr nos bt. bullet performed flawlessly, it tucked in just in front of the near shoulder hitting square on a rib,taking out a 2in section of that rib and breaking the next, took the arteries off the top of the heart blew one lung up and split the other in half took out about 2 1/2in of rib on the way out.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Clarion county is not the place to see deer.....I've finally given in to that fact !  However when ya got a camp , you stick it out, hoping things will get better.  Well they haven't , no ones hunting anymore , there is a lack of animals , and I'm getting older.  Can't walk in several miles and kill something....on bare ground, I'd never get it out of the woods.....they'd be carrying me out on a stretcher.  I still have Saturday , gonna go out and give it one more try.......

regards , irold

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Thank goodness for archery season as i filled the freezer then. Was in Wellsboro the opening week with 7 people on our lease and not one shot in 3 days. I didnt see a deer for two days of all day sits. We stay at the Penn Wells inn and only one deer was taken by anyone in the inn. Went to bradford the second week when that rain storm turned to snow. Walked for 3 hours in 6 inces of snow before i sat for the day and only saw 1 set of tracks. This game commission better get its act together as every year I see less and less people returning to hunt and I dont blame them.

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
Have three deer in the freezer but I guess I "cheated", used a bow.  Now I need to make a trip to Florida for some fish (reds and blues) and some six inch Indian River shrimp.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:24:40 AM »
   My Boy dropped the last deer we needed for our freezer yesterday afternoon. He shot it at 280yrds. with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. That is the second time I've seen that gun take the identical shot but that was the longest shot my Boy has taken. The kid is good!
   OK, like I said, my freezer is full so how are you doing with your shopping in Gods grocery store?
Add a few details too. I like hearing about good shots, bad shots and the interesting ways you harvested your game.

Well I’ll be lightheaded!!! And you did it without having to hunt on Sunday…

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read that…

Good job Bingo…

BCB

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:40:00 AM »
Thank goodness for archery season as i filled the freezer then. Was in Wellsboro the opening week with 7 people on our lease and not one shot in 3 days. I didnt see a deer for two days of all day sits. We stay at the Penn Wells inn and only one deer was taken by anyone in the inn. Went to bradford the second week when that rain storm turned to snow. Walked for 3 hours in 6 inces of snow before i sat for the day and only saw 1 set of tracks. This game commission better get its act together as every year I see less and less people returning to hunt and I dont blame them.
I grew up in Mansfield Pa about 20 miles from Wellsboro. In the seventies my family belonged to a hunting camp in Lycoming County, near Cedar Run,Pa and we drove thru Wellsboro on the way to camp. Good deer huntin in those days....but doesn't sound so good now.

Offline Bingo

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
   BCB I really don't care if they extend Sunday hunting for deer too. I have a beagle and love to hunt small game. That is why I would like to see Sunday hunting. My Boy is also an avvid squirrel hunter.
   Yes, I fill the freezer with venison, but really don't think we need to harvest more deer. Between the EHD from a few years back, Coyotes, and more doe being harvested, we lose enough deer. We don't need to reduce the herd any more.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
Just not good anymore

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
YES, MY FREEZER IS FULL

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
I hope those are Indian River shrimp. Used to shrimp in the Titusville Fl area. Big Fun!!!!

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »
I have a heard of 23 deer that come out on the field every evening. Must be they didn't shoot them all. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 03:08:13 AM »
The mature doe was taken with my heavy recoiling 12 gauge slug gun.  But two smaller does taken with crossbow.  Most of my hunting is within northern Maryland.

TR

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:36 AM »
I drove across the state yesterday, from Bedford to Lawrenceville. Most of the trip, especially from Williamsport north was in the evening. There were deer everywhere. Even saw an albino. There were small bunches of 7 or 8 or more every mile or so. I  saw hundreds of deer. eGrant
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt