Author Topic: Choosing Paper w, w/o Clay?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Choosing Paper w, w/o Clay?
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
Hi All,
     First pass at reading about this brings up the idea that some paper has clay in it. Seems like that might not be a good thing, unless your bore needs some lapping.

On the other hand, 100% cotton papers are mentioned as being not as effective as harder papers like notebook, copier and greenbar.

Anyone know how to identify abrasive free paper?

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
Re: Choosing Paper w, w/o Clay?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:59 AM »
I am not so sure if the type of paper used for patching is the leading cause of barrel wear.  I would expect throat erosion from high-pressure gas and powder particles is more of a concern.  I change my 223 Rem service rifle barrels at 3000 to 4000 shots only because I am in the hunt for CMP leg points.  They still shoot well at 200 yd but lose X's at 600 yd.  30 cal match barrels are good for about 5000 shots.  This number of shots is almost a lifetime for most sporting and hunting rifles.  Put a nickel in a jar for every shot fired and you will have the cash to re-barrel your rifle when needed.

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:44 PM »
Contact the maker of the paper.  They have helped me in the past.  Also, other patchers have info and are willing to share.  Anymore now, I use ordinary copy paper and am satisfied with the results.  You will not shoot enough to wear out a barrel with paper patched bullets.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline tigger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »
You'll have a hard time finding paper with clay in it anymore.  Once upon a time it was used, and if you find old books with crumbling pages, its more than likely due to the clay that was used.  Clay is acidic.  The current crop of papar is "archiveable" and uses precipitated calcium carbonate (from slaked lime) to provide the whiteness and ink absorbability now.  PCC is also the active ingredient in Bon Ami cleanser.  "Mildly abrasive".  Did some work @ a paper mill, and the on site contractor that did the PCC thing.  Asked questions and got some answers. 

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
You'll have a hard time finding paper with clay in it anymore.  Once upon a time it was used, and if you find old books with crumbling pages, its more than likely due to the clay that was used.  Clay is acidic.  The current crop of papar is "archiveable" and uses precipitated calcium carbonate (from slaked lime) to provide the whiteness and ink absorbability now.  PCC is also the active ingredient in Bon Ami cleanser.  "Mildly abrasive".  Did some work @ a paper mill, and the on site contractor that did the PCC thing.  Asked questions and got some answers.

Well, that's interesting. I'm kind of wondering if the answer is right out in the open. Maybe Lens Wipes?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »
9# onionskin from the Papermill. Available online. 100% cotton. No clay.  Not very expensive. Easy to patch with, adds .006" with two wraps, great stuff. I use it for everything that will accept the thinner paper, with great results. Just order your sizing dies accordingly.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
9# onionskin from the Papermill. Available online. 100% cotton. No clay.  Not very expensive. Easy to patch with, adds .006" with two wraps, great stuff. I use it for everything that will accept the thinner paper, with great results. Just order your sizing dies accordingly.

A .308 mold, of which there are many and .006 would come to .314... just about right for my Mosin, I'm thinking.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
What of say, paper towels, like bounty, or even the brown paper bag-like stuff? Can't imagine them putting anything in there?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 03:16:30 AM »
Doesn't work. Just try it and you'll see why.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
Doesn't work. Just try it and you'll see why.

Sounds like the voice of experience, LOL!

Sort of like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGAdzn5_KU

Offline bearbeater

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »
I use reciet paper from the grocery store or GA station just don't fold it
BB
Thats the ups and downs of Aviation