Author Topic: Wish to raise trailer lights to avoid submerging them  (Read 1032 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Wish to raise trailer lights to avoid submerging them
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
Anyone ever modified their boat trailer to avoid having to submerge the lighting?  Is there a kit available or replacement parts.
Trailer I have is a Magic Tilt.  Can't find anything in their website.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Wish to raise trailer lights to avoid submerging them
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
Not a direct answer to you question, but I'll tell you what I did with my trailer.  I replaced the bulb trailer lights with LED lights.  Direct wire in, so there is no corrosion problems like with regular replaceable bulbs, and they never burn out.  3 years now, and no problems, as compared to some PIA problem almost every time out with regular bulbs.  Most large on-line marine joints have them.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Wish to raise trailer lights to avoid submerging them
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
Magic Tilt lists LED replacement lights on page 22. Another option is to use a light bar that hangs off the back of the boat and is removed before launch, mine is just a piece of aluminum conduit with a lamp on each end and a couple aluminum hangers made to fit the boat, use a bungie to tie it down, then run the wire harness to the tow vehicle.

Tim

http://www.magictilt.com/images/stories/2009-2010_Parts_Guide.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain