Author Topic: jon boat suggestions  (Read 1657 times)

Offline snowman357

• Trade Count: (0)
jon boat suggestions
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:09:23 AM »
My kid has been bitten by the fishing bug,  I have thoughts of getting a small jon boat to use (both my trucks have 6 foot beds . I would like to get a 12 maybe 14 foot jon boat I can handle by myself getting in and out of truck. Trailer not much of an option where we live.  I t will be me the kid and wife so I figure the 10" are to small.  May have to use a truck bed extender in the trailer hitch on the 14'.  Have seen wheels mounted on transom to make transporting easier, will probably have trolling motor, battery, cooler tackle box 4 rods paddles life jackets, bucket net and 3 people.  Questions riveted or welded?  Weight capacity in 12" something to consider getting the 14'.  I'm thinking with all the people and gear the 14' would be best but also heavier and would require a extend a bed hitch.

Any suggestions for a non boat guy?

Snowman357

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: jon boat suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 05:26:21 AM »
I would go with a 14ft.  I used one for years in a 6ft bed. with the tailgate down you have 7.5ft
put all your gear in the boat and 1 small rope will hold it in and put an orange flag on the bow. those cheap orange vests are good.
unload your gear at waterside then back the truck to the water and slide it off.                     
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
Couple thoughts.  I would check your state law, and see what restrictions are on the books R/E load length past the bed of the truck.  A support that attaches to the hitch works well.  I use one for a 16 foot kayak.  Bigger is always better, as long as you can load and unload it.  Be sure to check the weight capacity plate on the hull.  When you figure your load, its just not the people, but gear, motor, fuel, everything total, with a reasonable safety margin.  There are caddy type devices that allow you to wheel the boat to the water, if needed.  Again, the one I use on my 2 seater kayak works well.  Unless you are going to be on really choppy water, a flat bottom Jon is a lot more stable then a deep v bottom, it just rides rougher in the waves.  Most people consider a welded hull stronger then riveted, but usually more expensive.  For what its worth, I have a 1987 Sea Nymph 20 foot tin boat I bought new, and use it quite a bit on lake Ontario, in some really rough water.  It has a riveted hull, and still floats like a beer can (with dents), no leaks.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »
I got a 14 ft Aluma rivet boat. Less then 100 lb. With the wife and myself we come close to 400 lb.

a
Add a small fuel tank and a 4 HP OMC. To my very big surprise that motor will get us on the plane. For two people unless they are very petite I think 14 foot is a minimum for a Jon boat.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.