Author Topic: Stolen Mossberg .22  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Stolen Mossberg .22
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »
Many years ago I had a Mossberg Model 142A stolen from me.  I did the usual pawn shop search, but believe the thief (or the suspected thief) took it out of the area to get rid of it.  When the barrel and receiver assembly is removed from the stock, my SSN is engraved on to the right hand side of the magazine box.  The SSN starts with the numbers 448.  If anyone has a clue as to the whereabouts of this rifle, I would appreciate knowing about it.  It was the first rifle I ever owned and was given to me by my Dad when I was 12.  I will buy it back with no questions asked.
Thanks very much.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Stolen Mossberg .22
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
I hope it turns up - what part of the country did it get stolen from?

When I was ready to move out on my own, my Dad gave me his 142A that his dad gave him.  It was the rifle I learned to shoot with, and I still have and cherish it, and it still shoots like a tack driver.  I'm planning on giving it to my oldest when he is ready to move out.  He's already found out how good of a shooter it is and is looking forward to that day.  I couldn't imagine having it stolen.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »
It was stolen in the Lubbock, Texas area, but I strongly believe that the thief took it to the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex to sell/pawn it.  Personally, I'm 100% sure who the thief is but there is now way I can prove it.
Thanks for the stump

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:02:51 PM »
PBS,I hope you have luck in locating your rifle!
It is the pitts to have one stolen. I traveled down to Shreveport, LA  from Denver, CO back in the 80`s to take a custom built .35 Whelen for my oldest son who was coming down from Alaska In Shreveport we took the rifle and bought some .35 Whelen factory ammo and found out the custom job would have to have special reloads as the factory loads would not chamber. So i was going to bring the rifle back to Denver to have the chamber reworked. I checked in at the airport with the rifle and also a Thompson Contender pistol in .35 Rem. The flight back to Denver was a two leg ordeal had to stop in Dallas change planes then on to Denver. Well when I got to Denver the firearms never showed! I filed a missing baggage claim and that was it, never heard anything more on those firearms! Somebody woud certainly get a surprise if they forced a factory round into that .35 Whelen chamber!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:44:32 AM »
This is the only firearm I have ever had stolen.  I had loaned a small revolver to my middle son and someone broke into his house, but either didn't see it or knew he would have a difficult time pawning it.  Anyway, it wasn't taken, nor was my son's pump shotgun.
When my Mossberg was stolen, I'll admit I wasn't aggressive enough in forcing the issue.  The person I suspect as the thief was a "friend" of my wife's and did not pursue the investigation beyond reporting it to the police and checking local pawn shops.  I found out months later that this person had go to Dallas the weekend that the rifle was reported missing.  Hindsight is always 20/20.
Thanks for the stump