Author Topic: Mud Motors  (Read 1376 times)

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Mud Motors
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
anyone have a longtail or mudmotor? if so, how do you like it? thanks

Offline I make oil

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.thejump.net
Re: Mud Motors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
I have had many through the years.  Currently I have a Go Devil with a 27HP Kohler.  They are pretty useful.  Not going to get you anywhere fast but they can go just about anywhere.  I have freinds who have Gator Tails, Pro Drives and other Short tail motors but I think my old long tail can go in places they can't and does not tear up the enviorment as badly as they do.  Long tails work best with longer skinny boats.  You will need a grab bar and they do work you.  Don't expect to just take off with one.  To become proficent with a long tail you need experience.  You will get stuck so make sure you have a good push pole and a paddle.  I also keep a few pieces of 2' X 2' X 1/2" plywood in my boat so If I have to get out of the boat and push I have a place to stand.  I put Rope handles on all 4 sides to help in pulling them up.  I try not to get stuck but sometimes......  Be careful turning to tightly will throw you out of the boat and ALLWAYS wear a Life Jacket and Kill switch.  Closest I have ever come to dieing was when I got thrown out of a boat running a Go Devil while wearing Hip boats no life jacet and not wearing the kill switch.  The boots were pulling me down and the boat was going in circles dang near hitting me with the prop.  Don't get me wrong.  They are great tools but you MUST respect them and think ahead.  I never wear hip boots in a boat anymore either.

If you want to hear more about mud motors check out this site.  www.mudmotortalk.com

Offline I make oil

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.thejump.net
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:57:42 AM »
A little graphic but this is why you should ALWAYS wear a kill switch especially with a mud motor.  This happened while duck hunting.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
THAT is going to leave a mark.