Author Topic: I got good news and I got bad news!  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I got good news and I got bad news!
« on: November 25, 2003, 11:03:22 AM »
The good news is I picked up the Taurus Model 460 Tracker Ti in .45 Colt today. More good news is this sucker is light as a feater. Ligher I believe than the Model 627 .357 Mag. 4". Dunno what it weights but you talking about a gun that's gonna carry nice on the hip this is it. Dunno about recoil and that brings up the bad news.

As it came out of the box it had apparently been fired only four shots for testing. One cylinder shows absolutely no sign of having been shot. BUT it came out of the box with a ring around the cylinder indicating a timing problem. For some reason when it reached my hands the little orange circle of plastic they put behind the cylinder wasn't in place but in the box. Dunno if the dealer did that or if Taurus USA did. More bad news. When you hold back the trigger and hammer both and try to wiggle the cylinder it does. Wiggle that is! A lot! NOT GOOD!! Still more bad news. There appears to be a flaw or crack in the top strap. Dunno what to make of this for certain. It "might" only be a scratch but if so it is one strange looking scratch. "U" shaped and maybe 3/4" or more long with the opening of the "U" being a bit more than 1/10" wide. I looks like you could just lift this piece out if you tried prying it a bit. Dunno. DOUBLE NOT GOOD!!!

All things considered I made a phone call to Robert at Taurus USA. Robert is the head of Customer Service and is off until Friday. Drat! BUT the nice lady in Customer Service agreed to have FEDEX come out (tomorrow she says but I'm betting it will be Friday knowing FEDEX) to pick it up at no charge to me and take it back to Taurus USA for examination and see if it needs to be replaced. This is what I had to do with my new in box M44 12" also. I'm not liking what is happening here with the first ones I get. BUT if the replacement (at no cost of course) is as good as the M44 replacement all will be forgiven.

Guys this is gonna be one mighty fine hip carry trail gun when I get a replacement or they verify that it is only a scratch or whatever. It needs a timing job I think as there shouldn't be a ring around the cylinder on a brand new gun when I take it out of the box. Especially not when they only fired it four times it would appear at the factory.

One thing of note here is the cylinder length which I think I was told before was 1.55". Yup it really is. Guess what? That ain't long enough to accept my .45 Colt ammo with the 240 XTP Mag which I have loaded up for the Ruger Bisley. Dunno what all will fit yet. Will worry about that when it comes back. Heck it is close enough to fitting that if I liked the way the load shot I'd use a slightly shorter case to make it work.

I intend this gun to be a trail carry gun and hope also a hunting handgun. My hopes are it works well with the bullets I cast from the LBT .452" 280 grain WFN mould I have on the way from Veral Smith of LBT. If not I have several other .45 mounds to try some of which I know dang well will work.

So I am disappointed that it came to me not ready to shoot and needs to go back. BUT I am estatic over how light it is and how steady it holds in my hands. I just know I'm gonna like the one that comes back to me in about 10 days or so. I'm not gonna like the wait but I'll live with it if they do me right as they did before. I'm confident they will. I've had only good dealings with the Taurus USA Customer Service Department. Just wish I wasn't having to deal with them as much of late. Makes me think some of the stories I've been hearing might have more validity than I'd been giving them credit for.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline EricG

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 07:34:09 PM »
Please keep us posted. I'm debating between the .480 5" Bull and the .45 4" Ti Tracker for my future fishing companion. Weight vs. power. Let us know how that tracker shoots. Especially if it will work with any of the heavy weight .45 loads.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your taurus.

Eric

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 06:51:39 AM »
Thanks Eric, will do. The FEDEX truck picked it up this morning about 10:00 AM or so. Said it will be delivered to Taurus on Friday morning. I'll give Robert a call then and see if I can light a fire under him to get it headed back my way as folks are waiting to hear a report on it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SPW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 11:37:58 AM »
I really would like to hear the best accuracy you can ring out of it at 25, 50, and a 100 yards.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 05:09:10 PM »
SPW you might get your info from 25 and 50 yards but forget about 100. With iron sights these days I can't even keep them on the target sheet at 100 yards anymore. With a barrel this short it would be a waste of bullets to even try. I have no plans to scope it at all so all shooting will be with the factory supplied iron sights.

My intention is to shoot cast bullets thru it from 250-280 grains and will be shooting for about 1000-1100 fps velocity. If I need more power than that I have guns far better suited to the purpose than the lightweight .45 Colt gun. In use I doubt it will ever see use over 50 yards from me.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Re: I got good news and I got bad news!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:28 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline AtlLaw

• Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 05:02:14 AM »
... I picked up the Taurus Model 460 Tracker Ti in .45 Colt today. ...
My jaw hit the floor when I read this!   :o

Then I saw the date of the post...  ::)

Gave me a good chuckle.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 05:41:49 AM »
Been bringing a bunch of old posts back up to the top today Richard. Just trying to get some folks posting here. Since most all the threads on this site are from back before we sold the other site I figure that if folks saw newer dates on threads that were interesting back then maybe they'd begin to post to them again.

Trying to help Matt get this new site moving along a bit.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
Well,since we are talking Taurus here,how was the gun you got back from them?
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 05:52:54 PM »
I honestly don't know Brad. I never looked at it. I traded it to the FFL dealer it was shipped to for me. My results overall with Taurus is about 50-50. I've had about the same number of good ones as bad ones, well if ya count Rossi which is owned by Taurus more bad than good.

I've had to sent two back I bought brand new both of which were replaced with new guns because the factory defects were so bad they couldn't fix them. The other was a long barrel M44 that was throwing bullets sideways into the target at 25 yards, WHEN it managed to hit the target at that distance. Some flew wide and didn't even touch paper.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 12:22:50 AM »
bill you know I shoot the big guns. 500s 475s 454s ect. that said I had a TI 396 44 spec smith. With 250s at keith level (17 grians of 2400) it was the most painful gun I ever shot. Don't think I ever got through a 5 shot cyl of them before I had blood. I learned real quick to hate that gun. Lucked into a 696 which was the same gun in stainless at a screaming price and sold the 396 two days later. Yup its light and very easy to carry and yup it wouldn't be shot that much as a ccw gun. But I guess I question whether its a good idea to carry a gun that can be painful to shoot. It very possibly could distract a guy. I can very honestly say id rather carry a 454 Alaskan and use it then that 396. By the way the 396 was 18oz.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 03:46:33 AM »
I had a Tracker Ti .357 from Taurus, a 4" gun. It was light but recoil wasn't an issue with it for me back then. The Tracker Ti .45 Colt on the other hand had some pretty serious recoil.

I had a Raging Bull in .454 Casull and another in .480 Ruger. I liked both guns and never had a single issue with either of them nor with the Tracker Ti .357 Magnum. Those were the best 3 Taurus guns I've owned. I'd still have the two Raging Bull guns but I just got to the point I wasn't shooting them anymore and really never hunted anything that needed that power level tho I did use the .480 on hogs to good effect. I think deer was the biggest I ever shot with the .454 Casull.

I'd not hesitate to pick up another of the Tracker  Ti .357 guns tho I'd want it to be a 6" rather than the 4" I had. I never found one in 6" tho. Still I shot the 4" I had far better than I should have been able to.

These days I have a S&W M69 with 4.25" barrel that I mostly shoot with .44 Special ammo as recoil is pretty vicious using full power .44 magnum ammo. I've shot some but it sure wasn't fun so now use it only with .44 special ammo using mostly the Lyman Keith 429421 bullet at about 1000 fps.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125