Author Topic: black bears in N.C. or S.C.  (Read 2337 times)

Offline ChrisK

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
black bears in N.C. or S.C.
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
 What would be the odds of getting a bear in one of these states as a non-resident? Been wanting to go for a while but had no time. Next year I am going to try and do it! Would love to use my 7 mag near some farmers field or some where I could actually see one and stalk up to it.
Chris Kiefner

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: black bears in N.C. or S.C.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »
I have been thinking and trying the same thing for a number of years.
We have a farm just outside Oriental NC and are known for big bears. 
While deer hunting I do see large bear droppings and foot prints in the soft ground.
Have sen one during the Dove season but a month and a half later I could not find him again.
If I were going to really try for the bear thing again i would do what is legal and bait and scout for one a week or two before the season starts.  I do not live near the farm and it takes a 12 hour plane trip to get there so doing this on weekends is not possible for me.
We do see evidence of bears during Deer season with gut piles turned into greasy spots in the winter wheat.
If you are really interested I would look into a guide for your first time and see what they do and then take your show on the road looking for a farmer that wants to get rid of a ruin or two.

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. The only thing about using an outfitter is the cost.
Chris Kiefner

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »
Eastern NC has some very large black bears.  Some go up to 700+ pounds each year.  Never taken one but a 300 lb black bear here is not a very significant kill.  We have some game lands that are public, but not all allow bear hunting.  Largest bears are often near poultry and hog farms in agricultural areas of Eastern NC.  It is legal in most counties to hunt bear with dogs.

Why not just call our Wildlife division in Raleigh and ask to speak to the bear biologist.

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »
Maybe I will do that on my next four off, I work four on and four off. That sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks!
Chris Kiefner

Offline Mosinman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
I'm not positive, but I think we only allow bear hunting either one day per year or one week.  In any case, it's such a short season that you really have to stay on top of when the opportunity to hunt them exists.

They are becoming a nusiance in a lot of the upstate counties, especially in the foothills between NC and SC, and a lot of "hunting" simply involves watching a trash collection dump.  I have some friends that are hunting bears in Alaska this month, which seems like much more fun.  They are flown in and dropped off on an island, and picked up two weeks later... so they not only have a longer season, it's really "wild" hunting.

I used to work in Tennessee and went through both the NC and SC mountains to get to my job.  On one trip through, I found a dead bear cub in the median ground, and had a horrible time trying to get anyone from the NC wildlife agency to bother to come check on it.  Usually, the female bears will hang around when something happens to their cubs and it can be dangerous.  I was really surprised by their lack of response.

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »
I would like to hunt in N.C. because of the location, it isn't that bad of a drive.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:02 AM »
I would like to hunt in N.C. because of the location, it isn't that bad of a drive.
Check out south east Va. with the border of NC there and the G D swamp there are alot of bears and some public land to hunt . Check with the chamber of commerce in Chesapeake Va. or other counties in the swamp area also the Va. department of game and fish. The bears from this area are ranging as far west and north as Chesterfield County Va. A 350 lb and a 300 lb bear were killed there Small yes but it shows the population is growing . I have talked with people in the area that have taken some large bear near the G.D.S. . Also one was removed from a Lowes store parking lot there.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:33:32 AM »
thanks! I will check into it.
Chris Kiefner

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
hate to see any animal run over but nc is loaded with bears and its not uncommom for them to get run over.....wildlife officers cant go to everyone...several hit near raleigh on interstate 40 .....mack

Offline ChrisK

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
thanks for the heads up

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
Saw a dead bear in Washington County, NC on Sunday.  Was hit in the west lane of US 64 near mile 543.  Called it in to the biologist.  Looked like about a 200 lb bear to me.  Was in a very agricultural area and not near a woods.  Must have been on a journey to find a mate.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:37 AM »
 hitting a bear of 200 or more lbs would total any vehicle i own..don t need that.slim rem 7

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 04:43:57 AM »
Most counties that allow bear hunting in Eastern NC have split seasons of about one week each. 

All 2010 games seasons in NC are included here:  http://www.ncwildlife.org/index.htm

Offline gremcat

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Try CONMAN guide services.