Author Topic: Need more info about the Briggs & Stratton 5 hp, 4 strok  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Eddie Ferrer

• Trade Count: (0)
Need more info about the Briggs & Stratton 5 hp, 4 strok
« on: October 27, 2003, 10:34:14 AM »
I  have seen this motor in different catalogs and since my new Yamaha 15 hp motor 2 stroke (DEC. 2002, $1,654.00) was stolen from my boat (dam thieves) 2 weeks ago  . I have been thinking about buying one of these as a replacement. I know the speed will not be the same, my 12 ft. alumin. boat flew with that Yamaha 15 hp, I am really going to miss that speed  . But I will need a motor I can carry from the shore up hill to my home, I read it weighs only 54 pounds so this might be the right weight motor for carrying. I am not taking any more chances that those thieves will come back to get another motor, those thieves came prepared, they came in another boat or raft, cut off the chain and the locks with a heavy duty bolt cutter that I had on my Yamaha motor like they were made of butter and stole the motor. The boat is only about 80 ft on the shore in front of my home (no access from the shore), visible from the porch of my home the motor was chained to the boat with a lock and the mounts adjustments were locked together as not to screw open. Sadly they stole the motor during the night and I didn't realize it to the next day in the morning.  

Anyway, I would like to know more about your new motor once you have tried it, that is if you can do me this favor. Is it easy to carry? How's the power on the motor, I have been told that gasoline only (4 stroke) boat motors have less power than mixed gasoline motors? Does it start up easy? I have seen/heard that gasoline only (4 stroke) boat motors are more silent, but the models I have seen are water cooled and from what I read this one is air cooled, so I am not sure about the noise factor, air cooled motors tend to be loud, let me know what kind of noise does it make. If it is silent it will give me a advantage when trolling and if it is easy to carry I will buy it, it should be the right motor to fit my needs to avoid being ripped off again.

I sure will appreciate the info.  

Thank you.
Eddie

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
Need more info about the Briggs & Strat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 03:39:59 AM »
At a fishing tourney earlier this summer the marina had the new air cooled motor for their 14 foot rentals.  The fisherman who rented commented it ran very smooth and did have ample power for the river currents.  The noise was about average, but was different sounding than a water cooled outboard.

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 11:27:42 AM »
Eddie,
Had a simular theft from my boathouse a few years ago. All they took was tackle and rods/reels. All in all about $2500 worth. The thief came under the lake side door to get in and unlocked the front door to carry my stuff out.  I have since installed an alarm on my boat house! Oh yeah, the motor! Get another 15hp motor for your boat, you'll never be happy with a 5hp!! Especially a B&S. You might want to get a two wheeler to take the motor to the house rather than carry it. The 15hp only weighs about 20# more than the B&S, but WOW what a difference in performance!!! If you go back with less than you had, you'll regret it!!
Good Luck,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Eddie Ferrer

Thanks for the info guys...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 02:37:04 AM »
I appreciate it.   For now I will be using my electrical trolling motor, I bought a new solar panel for my boat and two deep cycle gell batteries, I can't go fast and far but at least I can go fishing.  

I still have my old motor, a Johnson 10 hp, but even after putting a new head gasket (burned the old one) and a new impeller the motor still keeps on over heating, it is just not pumping enough water to cool the motor properly.   The stream of water that comes out takes a while to come out (about 2 minutes) and it has no pressure, just a small stream of water and with in 10 minutes (running) the stream of water is hot enough to burn one's hand.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks again.
Eddie

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 02:50:47 AM »
Eddie,
I'm no mechanic, but with the older motors we used to keep a long piece of wire in the boat to open up the water flow hole. Seems like trash used to stop those things up and the motor would overheat. I't be worth a try. If that doesn't work, an outboard mechanic can solve the problem for you for just a few bucks. Maybe the Capn' has some thoughts on this.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Eddie Ferrer

I tried that...
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 01:34:36 AM »
I cleaned out all the cooling lines, even top the all the heads on the motor and cleaned them out.  

I do think I made a mistake when I installed the new impeller, a friend of mine told me that the impeller's case didn't need a new gasket to leave it with out it, this could be the reason I guess.

Hopefully I when I install a new gasket on the impeller's case the water pressure will pick up and I will be able to use the old motor again.

Eddie

Offline savageT

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 05:52:18 AM »
Eddie,
Hope you find the problem with that old 10hp Johnson cooling system.  Are you quite sure that the gaskets you replaced are not the problem?????  Could it possibly be that one of the cooling line passages could be blocked by a gasket? Also, if it has overheated again, you better tear it down once more.  Perhaps it's time to get a good o/b mechanic involved and get this thing working again.....He might even know where you could trade it for another 15hp Evinrude to replace the stolen one.  I just couldn't stomach the thought of paying the bucks for a new one and I doubt if you will ever find a 2-stoke available???  Do a search on line in GOOGLE for old outboard sites....could get lucky and find someone who knows what the problem is with the old Johnson.
http://www.aomci.org/aomcfaq.htm

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Eddie Ferrer

I will try again...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 04:06:51 AM »
I will take it apart again and check it out.   But I did try using a high pressure water hose on the tube that connects to the impeller, the water ran freely.   I think one of the problems may be is that I did not replace the gasket on the case of the impeller.   So I will check that out and try making a gasket for the case.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Eddie