Author Topic: Hog hunting in Indiana  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Greenbug

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New 'old-timer' here
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 02:12:30 AM »
Dinny.

my brother's son-in-law took a feral pig near Tunnelton a couple years ago, 250 pound range i think.  it was on the west side of the river on private property.  I have also heard a lot of talk about hogs in the Medora area (just east of Tunnelton) and north toward Kurtz and the HNF.   a close friend says they are in his area at Owensburg.
If the Government is for it, I am probably against it.

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: New 'old-timer' here
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »
Dinny.

my brother's son-in-law took a feral pig near Tunnelton a couple years ago, 250 pound range i think.  it was on the west side of the river on private property.  I have also heard a lot of talk about hogs in the Medora area (just east of Tunnelton) and north toward Kurtz and the HNF.   a close friend says they are in his area at Owensburg.

Greenbug,
  Can you talk to that close friend of yours and gets us an invite?  ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Active Trader until 5-19-14 Graybeard

Offline Greenbug

Re: Hog hunting in Indiana
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »
I emailed him for some more information.  he raises cows, not crops, so doubt they are on his farm, but possibly in that area.

A couple posts on this thread mentions Jackson county plus south of Bedford.  the east fork of the White river runs thru these areas.   sounds to me like the pigs are hanging in the river bottoms where all the big crop fields are located; Jackson county in particular.  i just heard another report this morning of one being taken at Leesville on or near a church camp.  this area is either in Jackson or borders Jackson/Lawrence.  so, river bottoms in Jackson and Lawrence, and maybe Martin.

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 03:11:29 AM »
I emailed him for some more information.  he raises cows, not crops, so doubt they are on his farm, but possibly in that area.

A couple posts on this thread mentions Jackson county plus south of Bedford.  the east fork of the White river runs thru these areas.   sounds to me like the pigs are hanging in the river bottoms where all the big crop fields are located; Jackson county in particular.  i just heard another report this morning of one being taken at Leesville on or near a church camp.  this area is either in Jackson or borders Jackson/Lawrence.  so, river bottoms in Jackson and Lawrence, and maybe Martin.

Greenbug,
   Thanks for the report.  I hope we can be of assistance to someone out there.  I have heard that hogs like to dig wallows and often-times will dig smaller holes in pastures looking for grubs and other food.  These holes can be dangerous to farm animals who walk around there.  I have heard (in Germany) of several horses and some cows breaking ankles in these smaller holes.  Besides that, the holes are quite unsightly. So in short, whatever way we can assist any farmer, we will certainly make an effort.  ;)

Remember that game we played as kids, Hot or Cold?  I think we're getting warmer. ;D ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Greenbug

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 03:47:43 AM »
Dinny.  You seem to be well informed of IN hunting regs.  what are the legal cartridges for hogs ?

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:16 AM »
Dinny.  You seem to be well informed of IN hunting regs.  what are the legal cartridges for hogs ?

Anything you want to shoot!!!!  Due to the hogs being considered nuisance animals, you can shoot them w/o a license and at anytime with anything.  No regulation at all.  I personally wouldn't use anything smaller than a .243 with a premium well constructed bullet (I'm impartial to Barnes bullets), a .357 Mag(rifle) with a heavy hard-cast bullet, or a 20ga slug. Nor would I go any larger than a 500 S&W in a pistol or 50 BMG in a rifle. ;D ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »
I agree with Dinny, my understanding is that hogs are like groundhogs where all bets are off and anything goes weapon wise. 

Personally I'd like to try some long range work on a hog with my 30-06 from a few hundred yards.

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
Personally I'd like to try some long range work on a hog with my 30-06 from a few hundred yards.

I only have experience hunting hogs in Germany where they are mostly nocturnal.  About the only time you saw them during daylight was on the drive hunts where shots are quick and relatively short range.  
   We'll see what we can stir-up for a place to hunt and organize a drive hunt of our own. German legend has it that if you kill a beater, you have to marry his widow. ;)  Choose your shots carefully.... ;D Lol

I have quite a few good tricks up my sleeve for nighttime hunting and we could have some great results considering it could be the first time any IN hogs have seen these tricks.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny   10 more days....... :)

Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 08:42:47 AM »
Oh Dinny,
    Now you're making me want to buy the night vision scopes for my rifles.  I bet between you're tricks and the ones I learned as a Combat Engineer we could probably get the whole herd.  Don't know if there would be much left other than a big hole in the ground, but we'd get them.

:)

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
    Now you're making me want to buy the night vision scopes for my rifles.  I bet between you're tricks and the ones I learned as a Combat Engineer we could probably get the whole herd.  Don't know if there would be much left other than a big hole in the ground, but we'd get them.

Teddy,
   I too was a 12B before I became a medic.  I had to edit this post so as not to self-incriminate myself. ::) I have some other good ideas too. ;)  I have a friend who shoots coyotes with a nightvision riflescope and is very successful.  Partly due to the $3500 price tag. I can get a decent Gen I for $600 that would do the job for close range hogs.  Just gotta find the hogs and a place to hunt them.

Essayons!  Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Essayons is right!  I thought you were infantry before becoming a medic.

I've looked at the NV scopes and it seemed to me at the time that the decent ones start at $500 and go from there.  Ideally I'd like to get my hands on a Gen3 setup, but I need to get some lotto tickets first.

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 03:52:58 AM »
Here's a great video of our hog hunting brethren hunting somewhere in the South. It's title is "22 Hogs in One Night." Looks like they found the ultimate set-up for nighttime hunting. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EymHKsaOpRg&sns=em

Thanks Steve for the video. ;)

-Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »
That video was nutts.  I could believe how clear that thermal scope was.  Thanks for sharing.  It also gives people an idea of how much to lead a moving target.

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
Dinny: sent you a PM.

Arch

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
    Hi guys, comments from Indy. Have been reading these post and had to register. I just watchd a show on Discover last Friday called the "Pig Bomb" and It was quite eye opening. If you can find it on your equivilent of Com Cast on demand it`s a must watch, I`ll scare the pants of you!! This is a problem that has to be addressed and I for one am ready to do my part.
 This must be a sign, I`ve been buying all these rifles lately and couldn`t figure out what to do with them. Couldn`t use them to hunt with around here, I just figured they were "Purdy" and I just Had to have them. Now I know what they are to be used for, THE PIG BOMB. Picked up a   .35 Rem lever gun, a 300 savage lever gun and an 8mm mauser.  I know the 35 & 300 savage are kinda small, about the same as a 30/30, but all it takes is that 1 well placed shot. THE 8 IS ON PAR ALMOST WITH A 30/06. Anyway keep the info flowing and maybe we can do our small part for humanity.
  By the way, the show Pig Bomb said what started out as a problem a few years ago in just 8 states has now spread to 40 states and is growing rapidly.   Gary from Indy
If you want it destroyed right, call in a B-52
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
    Hi guys, comments from Indy. Have been reading these post and had to register. I just watchd a show on Discover last Friday called the "Pig Bomb" and It was quite eye opening. If you can find it on your equivilent of Com Cast on demand it`s a must watch, I`ll scare the pants of you!! This is a problem that has to be addressed and I for one am ready to do my part.
 This must be a sign, I`ve been buying all these rifles lately and couldn`t figure out what to do with them. Couldn`t use them to hunt with around here, I just figured they were "Purdy" and I just Had to have them. Now I know what they are to be used for, THE PIG BOMB. Picked up a   .35 Rem lever gun, a 300 savage lever gun and an 8mm mauser.  I know the 35 & 300 savage are kinda small, about the same as a 30/30, but all it takes is that 1 well placed shot. THE 8 IS ON PAR ALMOST WITH A 30/06. Anyway keep the info flowing and maybe we can do our small part for humanity.
  By the way, the show Pig Bomb said what started out as a problem a few years ago in just 8 states has now spread to 40 states and is growing rapidly.   Gary from Indy

Gary,
  We're glad to have you as a member! Pull up a chair (to your computer), kick back, and enjoy the comradeship. Also, put out an APB with everyone you know, we need to find those hogs in IN! Being the laws are quite lax so far, we could organize a GBO member drive hunt and clear them off of our IN farmlands.

Come back often and stay as long as you like, you're home now. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
Count me in on the hunt if it ever gets figured out.  It's amazing how you hear of so many animal problems until you look for a place to hunt.

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
Dinny,
Here is a link discussing some of the feral hog sightings in Indiana from INGO:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/9280-feral_hogs_in_indiana.html

If you do happen to put a feral hog hunt into action let me know. I am located in Terre Haute and would love the opportunity to take one. Hoping to get to go down to Arkansas this year and hunt em as well. Couldn't hurt to practice in advance  ;)

I am a Conservation Law Enforcement student and know quite a few officers as well. So if there are any specific questions that you all want answered I would be happy to help.

-Dustin

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
I read through all 10 pages of posts on INGO. Herte's a few of the most interesting things mentioned.

"There have been countless sightings of wild hogs around the Rush Creek area in Washington County where I live. I've even been on a "hog walk" or two with a buddy, armed with my Mosin 91/30 and a BIG bowie hunter that I have. We never saw any, but we found several ruts and waller spots."

"A friend of mine shot one last year in the river bottoms between Washington and Jackson Counties along the White River."

"yes they exist. Uncle got 2 during dear season last year in brown county. Both were relatively young. Think they weighed 150-200lb. Made some tasty pork chops. Locals down there got a 350lb er' last year. They have also apparently been trapping them in oversize animal traps."

"Yes we have them in Warrick county seen them several times. A friend shot 2 of them from his deer stand with a bow a couple years ago."

"I've got a friend who has hunted them in Bedford, IN."

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/Item_10A_January_2010.ppt

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
 I know roughly where Rush Creek is. I will try and do some digging around and see if anyone knows anything about the piggies ;)

It never made the paper. Then again alot of things around here that dont make it that should.

Lonny

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »
Dinny, good article. thanks for posting... Gary
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
Spoke to a few C.O's. and they said Warrick County is the place to start and Lawrence County also has quite a few. Only problem is getting permission over there because its pretty well all private property. So if anyone can arrange written permission (legally it needs to be written) for a hog hunt I would be down for any weekend. Also, i can point out a few articles in IN State/Administrative Code if necessary that would show the landowners that they are not liable for people hunting on their land if they are worried about it.

happy to help anyway I can, just let me know

dcary7

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »
Spoke to a few C.O's. and they said Warrick County is the place to start and Lawrence County also has quite a few. Only problem is getting permission over there because its pretty well all private property. So if anyone can arrange written permission (legally it needs to be written) for a hog hunt I would be down for any weekend. Also, i can point out a few articles in IN State/Administrative Code if necessary that would show the landowners that they are not liable for people hunting on their land if they are worried about it.
happy to help anyway I can, just let me know
dcary7

It sounds like we all need to start making new friends in these counties. Even better if those new friends joined GBO. I am on a 2hr standby until the Vancouver Olympics are complete(Feb 28th) After that, I plan to take some leave time and visit my family in New Albany. Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me drive to Boonville (Warrick County Seat) and talk to the county folks. I'll do my best to find a Platte Map or something else to help find farmers. Maybe I'll even cruise through a few bars or find a farm parts store. There's bound to be some farmers around there somewhere that will talk to me.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• "Medics Save"
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
Anyone seen or heard about any hogs lately?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
Anyone seen or heard about any hogs lately?

Thanks, Dinny

After years of reading about hunting wild hogs in IN I have come to the conclusion that it's a myth and internet folklore.  All the stories of the wild hogs are always in someone elses backyard or in a place where you can't hunt them unless you know somebody.  It's a hard reality, but the average guy isn't going to find a place to hunt in IN.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
Dinny,  I have to agree with teddy1. Appears what I was told was a myth as well.

Lonny