Author Topic: weed etaer motors?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
weed etaer motors?
« on: June 10, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
So anyone here have any personal experience with a weed eater turned outboard?
Seems to be alot of , IT WORKS! v.s BULLCRAP IT DOESN"T on the web.
I did once see a fella in a 12 footer that had what APPEARED to be a weed eater on the back , he was sitting still so I don't know how it worked for him or even if it really was a weed eater , maybe he was just a FUNNY guy? I guess I should have asked but until now I wasn't really considering this.
Gear reduction seems to be the name of the game here also.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: weed etaer motors?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »
Works good I would think in thick grass!  ::)
Seriously, sounds like a lot of work to make a marginally effective propulsion system. You'd need to fabricate some sort of transom bracket, find some way to put a propeller on it, (what pitch or direction of rotation). Then there's that gear ratio thing. Sounds like a fun project if you are wanting one, but otherwise you might be better served with an older model outboard for about the same money. Let us know if you decide to go the weedeater route.
Good Luck!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:43:37 AM »
It would seem some say there is a prop from a minn kota that bolts on well with no major mods , some it  also seems say it doesn't do well as it dies when it hits the water , but the prop seems to be the least of the problems with this , some have taken to slightly modifying a transom bracket from a minn kota also , again one of the littler hassles , but this whole thing with a weed eater having very low torque seems to be the bogger boo and the part that needs to be over come.
Off course fuel tank size could be addressed in one of many ways.
I just figured someone here has maybe tryed this or something like it , with/without success.
My electric troller pushes my 10 foot jon around well , but ............ you know what happens , got to mess with success

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
You have me thinking...  I have a 15' square sterned canoe.  A nice small gas engine might work for it.  It is rated for a 5hp, but the older 5hp that my son has is too heavy.  I would need a fat person in the bow to hold it in the water.  My weight and the 5hp are too much.  I might just have to look into this a little more.  But I agree that it seems torque would be the issue.  My weedeater stalls in tall grass unless I really have it wound up.  It seems that I recall Sears having a small 2hp Gamefisher that looked like a weedeater...   LOL
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »
I've seen that kind of setup in movies and in pictures, though I can't say they were weedeaters.  It seems like I remember a James Bond movie that took place in the Orient where the boats were propelled by motors with long shafts with props on the end.

It should help you out in thick weeds!  Maybe you would have to exchange the prop for a cutter head!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
The James bond motors are called "go devils" A long shaft runs from the crank on the motor at an angle to the water and ends with a prop. You can buy small versions with a B&S motor. They are for shallow water.
Another thing with the weed eater, I imajine there is no thrust bearing, and they would eat out the front edge of the shaft housing in a hurry.

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
go devils? are they still being sold , etc

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0009262014680a.shtml

you could buy a lot of weedeaters for that price.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »
wow , this why I am looking at homemade redneck motors , need something light , simple and cheap , truth be told I don't really neeeeeed a gasoline motor for the jon boat , but ....................

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017847015733a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Motor&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Motor&noImage=0
I tried the weedeater thing in a pool and I didn't even have a prop on it and it bogged down big time. Its basically a waste of time unless you go and buy a commercial four stroke weedeater.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
has  anyone  tried  one  of  these??

http://www.crawdadmotors.com/products.html

is  this  what  you call  the  weed eater motor?
i  guess  i  should have ask before i ordered  one

come  back  for a report
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 04:40:13 AM »
Small weed eater SIZED outboards for powering dinghies have been made for over 70 years. I've owned a few that I have used as kickers on smaller sail boats. Here is one site I came across doing a google search:
http://www.smalloutboardengines.com/index.html

Just don't expect planing performance in an under 2hp outboard.