Author Topic: 10 ft jon boat questions  (Read 5995 times)

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
10 ft jon boat questions
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »
this boat does not have a capacity plate and was curious as to what it may be rated for in both number of persons , total weight and max horsepower , just curious

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 10 ft jon boat questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
Without knowing the brand and more specifics I doubt anyone can give you the precise numbers but it's gonna be close to one person 200-210 pounds and 3 hp. Those are the general numbers I've seen on such size boats over the years. Some say two persons but when your weight limit is 200 pounds or so that's silly to say two peopole unless they are kids.

Here are the numbers on Alumacraft's 10' 32" bottom boat.

1032 10'0" 32" 48"/17" 15" 3HP 95# 2/365# .053" Flatbottom

That's more generous than the ones I've seen for sale locally in the past.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:42 AM »
ah thank you , thats what I was looking for , this boat is an Aqua swan , of 1960's era
I had my doubts about it holding 2 adults , currently I plan on running it with an electric trolling motor , it came with one with 24 pounds of thrust but I have another trolling motor I use on my bigger boat with 44 pounds of thrust , thats the one I figure on using , it should move it nicely threw the water.
I have looked at a few gasoline motors but think I want to avoid that right now because I have more internal combustion engines on my hands then I want , I just wanted something that required little or no maintenance and was quick to grab and go

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »
A long time ago when I weighted a whole lot less than now and the fellow with me weighted even less we took his little ten footer to a watershed lake to fish. I sure was uncomfortable and we never got too far from shore. I doubt we had 2" of freeboard in that boat and it was wider than a 32" bottom I'm pretty sure. We didn't drown but I'd sure never set foot in that thing with another person in it with me again.

My rule is 10' equals one person, 12' equals two people and 14' equals 3 persons. I once had a 14' 32" boat I'm not sure I'd have trusted with three as me and the wife seemed more than enough in that narrow one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
I will have to measure the bottom of my boat , not that it'll matter much , on a good note , so long as it's a one person boat , that'll give me an excuse as to why I can't take the woman along.... either that or she'll make me buy a bigger one

Offline kevthebassman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »
My rule is 10' equals one person, 12' equals two people and 14' equals 3 persons. I once had a 14' 32" boat I'm not sure I'd have trusted with three as me and the wife seemed more than enough in that narrow one.
That seems like a pretty good rule of thumb.  My 14 footer wears a 12 horse, and it can do 3 people, or two people and a weekend's worth of gear, food, and gasoline..

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
After using this boat I believe on calm waters it might do 2 people , just no funny business while underway

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that I need a rod holder , I do not want to drill any holes in the side of the boat , so I am thinking of maybe a large C-clamp , PVC pipe and perhaps a few U-bolts?

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 05:52:13 AM »
Some good info in these posts.  I have had several John boats in my life, from 12 to 18 feet.  I have had 3 different 12 footers all in different widths.  32", 36" and 48"   There is a big difference in stability and load capasity.   They all have their place, but you need to be aware of their limitations.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
My brother has a similar 10 foot jon boat.  I've been in it for simple stuff - mainly for retrieving fallen ducks and such out of ponds too deep to wade in.  I personally wouldn't trust it with 2 people (particularly at my weight, which is ~240lbs by myself).  My brother and cousin took that boat out in the river years ago (they're both a lot smaller though - about 150 lbs each) and managed to tip it.  Nobody was hurt, but turning a boat over is never fun.

He's also got a 16' jon boat that I consider to be good for 2 people.  I'm sure you could do 2 people with a shorter boat, but when bass fishing, IMHO it's cramped with more than 2 even in slightly longer boats.  If you're not specifically fishing the bank though and can have people fish opposite sides, then I'm sure you could work it out.

Offline Longknife 76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:27:50 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that I need a rod holder , I do not want to drill any holes in the side of the boat , so I am thinking of maybe a large C-clamp , PVC pipe and perhaps a few U-bolts?

Try Bass pro and Cabellas, They carry clamp on rod holders....

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »
I got an Aluma Craft 14 ft Lt.  I'm about 250 lb the Missus is in the 160 to 170 lb range. We are comfortable in it and much to my amazement the 4 HP OMC will get the boat on plane.
We also got a Bass Pro's 30 lb thrust troller and are disapointed with the performance.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
I have a 14 foot sea nymph with a 50 hp mercury. It can get scary at full throttle but otherwise is stable and can fish 3 adults. Should also point out it is close to 4 ' wide