Author Topic: Model 70?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Model 70?
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »
Anyone got one of these in .22LR? I had one in the 1970s and have been hunting for another ever since.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Model 70?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Hey S.B. - have you tried Beretta???  Serious thought though, they may know of parts availibility or possibly even dealers who could give you what you need???  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »
Yes, I've talked to Berretta. The 1968 GCA probably did more damage to this gun being in America than the paper it was written on?
AF&AM #294

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:21:16 PM »
I have one in .380 (70 s) and truly love it.. I know exactly why you want another one.
I saw one at a pawn shop in Carrollton, Georgia a little while back. The name of the pawn shop is GOLD NUGGET. Not sure what caliber it was. Get your local FFL holder in touch with them and see if you can work something out.. 
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Adawi

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
 I've had my 70s in .22lr for over 10 years, with thousands of rounds fired and NO failures of any type. It gobbles up everything I've put in it with remarkable accuracy, and has taken out generations of bunnies. I traded some dies and cash for it (about $120, total) to a dealer that was selling it for a friend that couldn't get it sighted in (said it shot too high). I sighted it in high to low, and found the sweet spot, now all rounds go into 1 1/2 at 20 yards without trying. I take it with me in the low desert areas where snakes are the only danger, though I don't use snakeshot.

Couldn't be happier!

Offline 6.5BR

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »

I am not sure what you mean, I have one, what do you mean shot it high to low?  Different ammo?  Or sight pic?

Been playing with mine lately, and it is very reliable, unless you have some of the lowest bulk grade ammo, sometimes Fed champion fails one, either a misfire (with solid hit) or sometimes that ammo does not impulse the slide hard enough to eject in my Astra Constable.

But, using the bulk 550 pack of copper coated 36 gr hp's it has been doing great.  A great 'fun' gun, for plinking.  Very light and compact for a 'kit type' gun, never know it's there.  I have killed lots of snakes with lead bullets, not shot, out of 22 pistols.  Don't see the need, just head shoot them, esp. when close.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:30:04 AM »
Adawi , what barrel length does yours have?
Quite the mystic around these guns. The Israili Maasod used them for quite a while and probably killed more people with these guns than anybody since Hitler's SS. Maasod prefered the short barreled guns in .22 LR.
6.5BR , as I'm sure you alrready know, shot shells are prefered for quick shots at snakes and Kit Guns are traditionally revolvers for their ability to shoot any type of ammo without fail
AF&AM #294

Offline Adawi

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »
 When I said "high to low", I meant that I sighted it in with the rear sight adjusted high, then lowered it until the groups hit the "sweet spot". Sorry about that, I just don't know what the technical term for it is (or if there is one).

My barrel measures 3.5, and is marked on the slide "Berben Corporation N.Y.- N.Y.-Mod. 70 S - Cal. 22lr" (distributor, I'd guess).

I'm more of a revolver fan, but this little auto has so many good qualities, and no negatives (for me), that I'm hanging onto it.

Adawi

Offline 6.5BR

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:13:58 AM »
thanks for clarifying, that is what I thought you meant, my rear is all the way down, and is the same gun you have.....

SB, I owned a S&W 34 kit gun, grips too small, bought a 17-4 or 17-5 HB in 4" in '88 or so, and it was nice, but I never used shot shells, but I did bust alot of snakes, head shots do wonders.  I guess if you are in a hurry and dont have time/cannot aim, a shot shell had some benefits, but I never 'lost a snake' due to using bullets vs shot.  Now if I fell into a snake pit, I'd want a 20 guage pump or autoloader  ;D

Actually my father long ago was in S. LA in swamp land dove hunting, and every Cypress tree that had been cut down was full of water moccasins, he unloaded about 2 boxes of shells on his way leaving the snake infested area.  Shot definitely saved his day!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
I think you still have to aim with shot cartridges?
AF&AM #294

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »
 6.5BR, by HB do you mean full underlug?
Steve
AF&AM #294