Author Topic: canoe finish  (Read 1545 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
canoe finish
« on: January 13, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
I have an Indian River canoe that has been sitting behind my shed for about five years. I pulled it out to get it back in the water, but the finish has been ruined. It is dirty and dull. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me how to get it looking good again. There is nothing wrong with it other than the finish. Thanks.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: canoe finish
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:00:22 AM »
Did you find something for your canoe finish?  Several years ago I had a fiberglass topper on my truck.  The finish had oxidized pretty bad.  I happened to be at the topper store buying a replacement lock and noticed a product for the topper finish.  It was like a liquid wax.  It was made to remove the oxidation on the fiberglass finish.  It did a half way decent job.  The finish never did look like new, but it was much better and cleaner looking than before using it.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »
I use a good auto finish restorer then a paste wax..  The cleaner wax alone may do the trick
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
If its that bad just paint if camo or something with spray paint. That's what I did to my old jon boat.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:44:07 AM »
Camo finishes are nice for outdoor gear because if you get a scratch you can cover it immediately with no problem. I assume your boat is fiberglass and I would think good oil based paint would stay on good, I wouldn't use latex. It's a little hard to find dull oil paint I suppose waterfowler suppliers have it but it's probably expensive. Keep you eye open at the hardware store and over time you'll probably find what you need. Could be some old greybearded hardware man can mix something to give a flat finish.

Remember if having a camo boat makes you want to go duck hunting, you'll need to do the inside too.