Author Topic: How to Build a Rifling Machine.......A to Z  (Read 66304 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: How to Build a Rifling Machine.......A to Z
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 05:25:38 PM »
Don,

You have all kinds of interesting things to talk about, but where does our gaze go?  Right to the last line, of course!!  BBQ.......... O.K. your in!  Cook up a big batch, throw it in the car and head north!    Seriously though, we sure would like to have some  company occasionally as long as they call ahead first, four or five days in advance.

What about this 50" x 1.7" bore rifle you want to build?  Any ideas on the profile yet?  Type of carriage?  Type of wheels? 
We are enjoying the work on this thread and we are having fun learning too. 

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 04:40:09 AM »
It's a replica of a Maximillian gun from 1495. I have scale drawings already drawn up for it. I'm hoping to start with 4" OD x 1.5" ID DOM Seamless 4140. The sleeve will be from 6" heavy walled tubing and shaped into a tapered hexagonal shape. It'll get rebored and reamed to 1.7". The original was 1.9", but I want to put golfballs into orbit. :) I figure I can turn down some projectiles for it to do some serious shooting as well if I can rifle the barrel. I had originally planned on doing some button rifling using an old carbide miil bit that would be ground into the button head and pulled through the barrel with a 30 ton winch. I think cut rifling would obviously give much better results, though! I took down a 50' black oak last weekend so I have some large oak slabs curing in the greenhouse. By August, they should be ready to start shaping into the carriage...and a new mantle...and some end tables. I'll scan in the smaller drawing of the barrel and the planned construction method this weekend. I was going to post the beginings of the mortar I'm doing as well, so I'll put them all together in the other thread (16th century mortar....).

I showed my wife this thread and told her "Good thing we're cleaning out the back 20 x 20 room, for a 4.5' barrel I'll need lots of room for a rifling machine!"  She didn't even crack a smile. :D

I wish I had found this site last Spring. We spent two weeks in August tooling around from Potter Co, PA over all across OH then down through KY, TN and back over to Central TX. It'll be a while before we're up that way again.
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2007, 05:31:59 AM »
Don,

That sounds really great!  I'm sure everyone will be anticipating your next post.  Clean that room out very well; you will need lots of room for a ten foot rifling machine.  Ours is just that big and it will rifle a bore 54" long which is exactly what you need.  We fear that you will turn those golf balls into "Chaff" with even a moderate load.  Start thinking in terms of one "Big Bad Rifle" with an occasional golf ball salute which would probably go like this:  Hisssssssss....BLAM!!!.....POOOF.  Stay upwind from your gun to keep all that burning rubber out of your hair!

I really envy your lumber situation.  We had to go all the way over to Cat Whisperer country to find our last load of kiln dried white oak.  Ouch, BIG shipping charges from Virginia!  Thanks for telling us about your plans.  Sounds like a Really Nice Cannon!!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »
Hah...I almost choked on my Coke laughing at the mental image of burning rubber shrapnel....yeah, I guess golfballs aren't meant to break the sound barriers! I have some neat ideas for projectiles made from aluminum with lead cores for added mass, though.

We have "blackjack oaks" that grow fast but are not disease tolerant and only last about 10-15 yrs. We lose about one per year to storms, drought, disease. They are a type of white oak, but have a medium brown to dark brown color on the heart wood like most of the pics of "English oak " I see. One of my bosses came over to help me take it down. I gave him the lower 8' x 26" dia section since he's making a huge oak table. I figured they ought to be perfect for old medieval  cannon carriage replicas! One the local parks had a black walnut tree toppled during a tornado a month back. I might have to make a midnight chainsaw run this weekend. :)  I use our greenhouse as kiln. It actually works well in summer. I just have to keep the ground wet so it doen't get too dry. It takes about 6-7 months for large sections of harwoods like mesquites to dry out enough that they won't check with further drying in the normal shop.

For some reason I thought you were out in IL instead of CO. We'll be up in CO Summer '08 around Silverton and Dennison Springs. If I make it up that way, I'll bring you an oak tree trunk. ;) I can't imagine driving in the mountains towing a 1000 lb tree trunk on my little 4 x 8 trailer!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2007, 04:01:40 AM »
          FYI

The Third Quarter UPDATE on The Rifling Head the Heart of a Rifling Machine is due for RELEASE on SUNDAY afternoon.

Don,

First I want to emphasize that I am not disparaging golf ball mortars or cannons.  Building one of them is almost a "right of passage" within this group.  The reason they are so fascinating, I believe, is that the builder gets to put unique design ideas into them, which makes each one a little different than any other that you've seen before.
Also, very importantly, is the unique trajectory that all mortars share.  With a very light charge you can see exactly why mortars have been so useful over the years.  I NEVER shoot my mortar rounds out of sight simply because I want to SEE the projectile land.  It's just more interesting that way.  Safer too!

Aluminum projectiles with lead cores?  Now your talking my business partner's language!  Mike is always daydreaming about external ballistics and how the ultimate FLAT trajectory can be achieved with really long aluminum bullets.  When I see his eyes start to glaze over I have to say, "MIKE....Back to the 1860s, ....back...back!"
I am more of a heavy, blunt instrument, kind of guy, I guess.  The ultimate for me is probably the huge Confederate import from England, the 12.75 Inch Blakely Rifle.  Weighing over 60,000 pounds, it hurled a 650 pound bolt.  Who cares if it went end over end, one of those babies against your turret would have cleaned your cheeze-box right off your raft!  No doubt about it.  I wonder what one of those would weigh in 1/6th scale?   Too much, probably.

Your wood drying process sounds interesting.  I am really ignorant on that topic.  I wish I knew more, but it sounds like you have to wait quite a long time for the moisture to leave the wood slowly so gaps or checks don't form.  Drying only in the shop would probably cause cracks, right?  Don't haul any logs up into these mountains.  We don't want to see you on the news!!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2007, 07:38:14 AM »
I wonder what one of those would weigh in 1/6th scale?

About 275 lbs.  60000/(63)=278
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
                                                                  Third Quarter Rifling Head Step by Step Plan
                                                                  Brought to you by Seacoast Artillery Company

Thanks GGaskill,

I always knew that 216 constant for 1/6th scale came from somewhere; now I know where!  Appreciate that info.

Tracy

27.   Place the rifling head in the milling machine vise with the ¼-28 clearance hole to the right and as high as it will go upon rotation of the rifling head body.  See first photo which shows a method using gage pins. Tighten the vise lightly to moderately.  Find the center of the vise jaws with an indicator and set the -Y- Axis dial to zero. 

28.   Center the drill chuck over the left edge of the rifling head.  Set -X-  Axis dial to zero.  Centerdrill for a .250” dia. bit, .740” from the .625” dia. reamed hole end of the head.

29.   Drill a .250” dia. hole through top side only.

30.   Plunge mill a slot through to the .625” dia. hole, along the -X-  Axis, with a .250 center cutting end mill, in .050” steps, until the slot is .650” long.

31.   Taking light, conventional milling, cuts of .005” to .010” deep, on both sides and end corners of the slot, with a .125” dia., solid carbide end mill, widen the slot evenly until you creep up on the actual width dimension of .312” minus .002” per side.  When you make your hook cutter you can carefully hand fit the cutter to the slot. 

32.   Move the work-piece back to your -Y- Axis zero.  Place the 5/16” collet and the .508” gage pin in the quill.  Place the gage pin in the slot you just milled and put the rifling head at a 30 deg. Angle.  We used a 30 deg. gage block.  You can use a precision protractor as well. Clamp vise jaws lightly to moderately.

33.   Using a .125” dia. solid carbide, center cutting, end mill, carefully mill away all of the steel making the 30 deg. surface under  the end mill once you have its O.D. at the left  end of the .308 wide slot.  Keep milling until you have a vertical, flat, end-of-slot surface.

34.   Carefully plunge-cut a narrow slot with the .125 solid carbide end mill outward from the breech end, (left end in the photo), of the slot using .025” incremental advances of the tool along the -Y-  Axis until plus .075” in -Y- and minus .075” in -Y- have been achieved.  You should have a “T" shaped slot now.  Go back and forth at full depth, carefully conventional milling only, until the outside, end surface is smooth. 

35.   Using a .213” dia. tap drill for the ¼-28 set screw hole, extend the 2.100” deep, .213” dia. hole downward until it breaks out in the hook cutter slot.  Deburr.

36.   Let’s make the “Tool Advance Adjuster Knob”.  Place a .750” dia. piece of drill rod in the lathe.  Face off and center drill with a  #5 to .35” dia.

37.   Tap drill for a 5/16-24 thread with an “I” drill, .75” deep.

38.   Tap .50” deep.

39.   Cut a .100” deep groove with the cut-off tool to make a .200” thick adjusting knob. 

40.   Chamfer edges on both sides of the knob .025-.035” x 45 deg.

41.    Knurl the edge of the knob with a cross-hatch pattern for easy gripping. 

42.   Re-install the cut off tool; cut off the knob.

43.   Chuck up the 5/16-24 with the knob screwed on the end.  Face off the ugly side. Re-cut the 45 deg. chamfer if necessary.

44.   Let’s make a very important part of the Rifling Head Assembly.  It is the “Hook Cutter Advance Wedge”.  Place a 3” piece of .625” dia. drill rod into the lathe with 1.750” sticking out.

45.   Face off and break the O.D. edge .025-.035”.

46.   Centerdrill with a #5 to .350 dia.  and tap drill with an “I” drill, 1.50” deep.

47.   Tap 5/16-24, 1.300” deep.

48.   Cut off, leaving the wedge body 1.100” long.

49.   Swap ends; chamfer the threaded hole to .350” dia.  Break the O.D. edge .025-.035”. 

50.   Put the wedge in the vise with 1/3 showing above the jaws.  Using a precision  protractor or other method, set the top of the wedge body at a 3 deg. angle off the horizontal.  Support the bottom edge with a narrow parallel bar.  Clamp tightly.

51.   Tram the mill’s head now.  Use your best end mill.  This will save lots of time polishing later.  Mill the top, trying to get the best finish possible, until the flat is .200” wide on the narrow end. 

52.   Clamp the wedge body into the vise with 1/3 showing above the jaws with the wedge surface you just milled toward you and the narrow part of that surface to the right.  Before clamping, place a narrow hardwood wedge about 3/16” thick between the moveable jaw and the work. 

53.    On the top surface, starting at the right end, mill a notch .100” deep and .250” long.
See the last Photo for the orientation of the notch to the 3 deg. surface.  Deburr.

54.   At this time, make sure your wedge fits in the .625” dia. reamed bore in the rifling head.  Polish lightly until it goes all the way into the bore.

55.   In low light, heat the entire wedge until it is orange in color.  A large, high volume propane torch or burner works well.

56.   Quickly quench in cool water while keeping the part moving.

57.   Draw back by re-heating all sides of the wedge evenly for about 30 seconds.  Part color should not change.  Quench again until cold.

58.   Polish the 3 deg. flat firmly on a fine, 600 to 1200 grit, FLAT stone.  We use a 3” x 6” x ¼”, 1200 grit, diamond bench stone for polishing all hardened steel.  They work great and they last forever and ever and ever.  They cut fast too.  We really like that!! Don’t buy the perforated surface kind; they get torn-up real easily.  Get the solid steel type with the diamond matrix electroplated on the ground flat, hardened steel surface.

59.   Polish the other surfaces lightly on a flexible wheel with 320 to 400 grit.

60.   Orient a center drill per the first photo, .230” from the end of the rifling head body and tap drill with a #29 drill bit for the wedge retainer, 8-32, set screw.

61.   Tap 8-32 through.

62.   Make the Wedge Retainer Set Screw per the marker board sketch in the photo above.  When you install the wedge retainer set screw, orient it so the milled flat is facing the notch face on the wedge.

63.   Set up the Tool Advance Adjuster Knob, shown in the photo, in a simple indexer like the one we have, or a dividing head.  Mill 10 equally spaced, .030” deep, 90 degree, grooves around the periphery of the knob.  By turning the knob one graduation, you advance the hook cutter .00022” deeper into the barrel steel. 

64.   Lets make the “Waterfall Cut Actuator” now.  Exactly what this does will be discussed later.  Centerdrill for a 10-32 socket head cap screw into the end of the 5/16-24, 1.800” long socket head cap screw which goes through the adjuster knob and into the wedge.

65.   Tap drill with a #21 drill bit 1.50” deep.  Some of these cap screws are harder than others; you may need a carbide drill, but we did not.

66.   Tap 10-32, 1.20” deep.  A pulley tap or ground shank tap will be useful here. 

67.   Make the Hook Cutter Plunger and Spring Assembly per the marker board sketch pictured.  The ¼-28 set screw holds this assy. in place, and it, in turn, holds the muzzle end of the hook in place, because of the 30 deg. Angle end which matches a corresponding beveled surface on the front of the hook.

That's about it for now.  The last and final segment will be presented on Wednesday or Thursday.  The mysterious, highly secret, most misunderstood part of the entire rifling machine, the "HOOK CUTTER" will be EXPOSED as never before.  Forget all those tales you may have heard or even read about a broken hacksaw blade, slightly reshaped, is all you need to cut an accurate groove.  BALONEY!!  We will be telling the TRUTH, the whole TRUTH, and nothing but the TRUTH, about the little gem that makes accurate rifling possible.

Until then, we remain,

Mike and Tracy at
Seacoast Artillery Company

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »
I visited Mike & Tracy at their shop Saturday. It was most impressive. They have gone to incredible effort to make their cannon accurate in every detail and safe to shoot. The rifling machine is quite an accomplishment and I applaud their willingness to share details. I've noticed that people into rifled artillery tend to be rather secretive. Their shop is also very well equipped for turning out precision work. They should be able to build all their cannon to the same standard.

I hope that we'll be able to take our cannon out when the snow melts and the plains dry. Then there'll be some serious smoke!

Steve

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2007, 12:55:42 PM »
crufflersteve,
    You said "I've noticed that people into rifled artillery tend to be rather secretive.'
I dont think that is true. Most of the guy shooting full size guns are quite helpfull, though the may keep what they are useing a little close. As with all competitive shooting there are always some around who will tell you nothing. Just keep askin around.Some time ago I posted a link to a "light' article on the construction of our full scale guns and recieved but a couple questions. The rifling machine was quite simular to the being presented.

I, also applaud the fine job that Mike and Tracy have done in documenting the construction of their rifling machine and in it's presentation. It should be on it's own web page/ site.
    Perhaps they can post some Dem's. which can be scaled down in size for most of the guns being built here. Me , I'm going the other way 102" bed with overhead rack and sine.

Keep up the good work

Bob

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »
Steve,

It sure was nice meeting you this past Saturday and talking cannons for a while.  Thanks for your kind comments about our shop and methods.  We are really looking forward to a break in the weather so we can see some serious smoke coming from that Confederate mountain rifle of yours.  The dual lead and zinc mold you showed us was very impressive and the Read style projectile looked like a winner to us.  Can't wait!!

Bob,

Your post here is really instructive because, by presenting a good view of the rifling head indexing plate of this machine, it shows another viable method for accomplishing this essential task.  This backs up our repeated pleadings for anyone seriously interested, to go out and obtain ALL the info available so they have more ideas and more options to pick from or to use as a basis for developing their own modified design.  Our machine works very well, BUT it is not a "be all - end all" super machine by any stretch of the imagination.  As far as size of our machine is concerned, we think it is targeted for tubes in the general range of 12" to 54" or roughly 1/6 to 1/2 scale of most Civil War field artillery.   We made it this size so it would eventually cut hexagonal rifling for a 1/2 scale 12 Pdr. Whitworth rifle, probably a retirement project.

Regards to you both,

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
                                                 Fourth Quarter Update:  How to Build a Rifling Machine......A to Z.....[The HOOK CUTTER]

We were hoping to be finishing this last segment right about now, but far too much had to be done this week to stay on our production schedule, so we just got back on this project about a hour ago.  We have the math figured out for the hook configuration and a drawing of a fixture, an off-set grinding fixture, which should allow us to grind the cutting edge of the hook with it's very special shape and the cutting edge relief angle at the same time.  If this all works right the first time, we should have a functional hook for the 1/6 scale 7" Treble-banded Brooke Rifle tube by Friday evening.  However, we will say Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon just to allow some fudge-factor time to clear up any problems which always seem to pop up at the last minute.

To prevent these problems we always cut out our parts at 20 times actual size, usually using regular printer paper placed on a velum background drawing with pivot points marked on it, etc.  Hopefully the errors in the drawing are spotted during this process and the relationship between moving parts can be both understood and adjusted, if necessary.  Thanks for your patience.

By the way, the spring stock we use in our rifling heads is Wolff gunspring stock, Ultra Heavy-Duty.  This gives enough pressure to keep the muzzle end of the hook cutter down, courtesy of matching 30 degree angles on the spring plunger AND the front of the hook.  This holds the hook against the wedge which helps to keep the hook from gouging steel from your tube.  The rear of the hook is held in place by its 30 degree angle and a matching 30 degree angle at the rear of the hook slot in the rifling head body.

Regards, 

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2007, 04:59:30 PM »
How to Build a Rifling Machine….A to Z…[ The Hook Cutter ]

Brought to you by Seacoast Artillery Company

What we are about to describe is one method of Hook Cutter production.  Since we do not have a tool and cutter grinder, the method described is not fast, however, it is accurate, and we choose accuracy over speed any day, especially when it comes to things which are expected to produce precise work.   

All of these tools and methods described can be used on a variety of rifling configurations.  Except for the .080” offset  tool holder, made specially for grinding the peculiar Brooke rifling groove shape, all of the tools and methods described here may be used with any uniform style of rifling such as the Parrott or James System rifling.

After this segment is released, Mike and I will do our very best to answer any questions about any part of the rifling machine or method used to make it.  So, don’t be shy; ask away!

Step#

68.        Cut a .650” long piece of Fagersta WKE45 Swedish Tool Steel from a bar 5/16” x 7/16” x 4”, available from Manhattan Tool Supply.  Don’t waste your time on any lesser quality steel.  Buy this quality or an equal if you KNOW for sure that there is an equal.  We wasted our time and money until we found this type, so you don’t have to.  This type stays sharp a long time under normal conditions of use.  The last two barrels we cut did not need ANY sharpening at all.  Surprised?  We certainly were!!  Happy too!

69.        We score all sides with a 1” dia. cut-off wheel on a Foredom Tool .150” deep.                   Then place firmly in a vise with just the part you want above the jaws.  Hit sharply with a large plastic mallet.  Your scored piece should pop off easily.

70.        Rough grind a 27 deg. angle by hand on a regular silicon carbide grinding wheel after carefully marking on one of the 7/16” sides.

71.        Rough grind waste from in front of the hook, .180” in from end opposite 27 deg. angle and grind from the top until only .210” is left of the height measured from the bottom surface.  This leaves .030” over final dim. for final grinding. 

72.       Rough grind a 33 deg. angle on the front after marking on the same side as before.  Do NOT shorten the rough ground hook at all.  You have only .050” over, total on the bottom surface finished length of .600”.

73.        Grind a .050” deep relief cut with a cut-off wheel at approximately 45 deg. to the bottom surface of the hook at the intersection of the hook face and the forward 33 deg angle. 

74.        Take a look at the marker board sketches of the capture and rake angles you will be grinding.  Understanding of how they get to final shape is the purpose here.

75.        Set up your rough ground hook as shown in the vise and precision protractor photos and clamp firmly.

76.        Using a diamond plated drum grinding point, grind the 27 deg. angle in .0005” stages until your final grind intersects with the bottom surface.  We use two passes for each .0005” with thread cutting oil continually applied.

77.        You can inspect the angle you just ground to see if it measures it’s IN USE attitude which should be 30 deg.  Take a .0262” gage pin and place it on a parallel bar or 1-2-3 block on the optical comparator stage.  Place the hook on it exactly .500” from the front end.  This is to get the bottom of the hook at a 3 deg. angle from the 1-2-3 block.  Sine of 1 deg.at one inch is .01745”, so sine of 3 deg. at .500” is .01745” x 3 = .05235” / 2 = .026175” or .0262”, rounded off.  We lucked out and had a pin right at .0262”.   Take a look at the OP image; your 27 deg angle becomes a 30 deg angle as if it were sitting on the 3 deg wedge inside the rifling head.

78.        Set up to final grind a 33 deg. angle on the front of the hook.  Grind until your
final grind intersects with the bottom surface of the hook.

79.   Inspect as previously described.
80.        Set up  for cutting the hook face at a 2 deg. Angle.  Grind the height dim of .210” from the bottom only until clean-up.  A little extra on the height from the final of .180” is not going to hurt anything.  Save your grinding drum when ever possible.  Grind back in minus -X- axis until the 2 deg. angle cleans up. 

81.       Inspect using the same method as before.  The tolerance on these angles is +/-
.25 deg.  If your initial grind does not work, carefully set up and regrind to        minimum necessary to get the correct angle.

82.       Now lets make the offset grinding fixture which will allow us to grind the very             
important 13 deg. top relief angle, which is 16deg. as ground and 13 deg. in use. 
Get a piece of .625” dia., O-1, drill rod, 4” long.  Chuck in the lathe, face off and center drill to .200” dia. with a # 4 center drill.  Swap ends and repeat.

83.        Place in the mill vise, tighten moderately with 1/3 above the top of the vise  zero the -Y- axis on the center of the rod. 

84.        Move vise and part minus .080” along the -Y- axis.

85.        Zero the -X- Axis on the end of the rod; center drill and drill the rod .300” deep with a .250” dia. drill bit 1.00" from the end. 

86.        With a 1/4”, solid carbide end mill, mill a slot by plunge cutting, in .050” increments along the -X- axis, 1.00” long by .300” deep. 

87.        Re-zero the -Y- axis  and widen the slot, taking equal amounts off each side until a width of .312” is reached. 

88.        Chuck in lathe with opposite end from the slot sticking out 1.5”.  Knurl a cross-hatch pattern for one inch from the end of the rod.

89.        Place in mill vise with 1/3 above the top, with the knurl to the right.  Look at the slot; the thick side should be facing you.  Rotate clockwise 90 deg. while looking at the knurled end.  The slot should be facing away from you now, with it’s thick side upward.

90.        Center drill and tap drill two holes for two 8-32 set screws which will hold the hook securely as the cutter relief is being ground.  They should be centered on the length of the slot and .400” apart, .150” minus -Y- from the surface of the rod farthest from you.

91.        With the rough ground top surface of the hook visible, the off set hook grinding fixture should look like the one in the first photo.

92.        The next two photos show how we used to hold the grinding fixture.  It worked just fine, but didn’t do the old v-blocks any good with all that swarf going down the sides of the “V”.  We decided to build a very simple set of “centers” with hardened, 60 deg. centers and a spring loaded plunger to put moderate pressure on the grinding fixture to hold it without looseness, but to allow easy rotation with your fingers on the knurled section.  The body is a piece of scrap aluminum and none of the dimensions are critical except the top should be parallel to the axis of the centers within .005". 

93.       Set up the centers so they hold the grinding fixture at a 16 deg. angle as shown in the first and second photos.

94.        Because we used 3/4” drill rod, we had lots of fixture relief milling to do.  You probably won’t have this to worry about, starting with 5/8” drill rod. 

95.      After tightening the set screws securely, move the diamond plated grinding     
      point into contact with the uppermost part of the rough ground hook.  Grind in 
      .0005” steps as you did before, using plenty of thread cutting oil.

95.       Grind until the particular radius of your tool is achieved.  In our case it was   .4295” . 

96.      Inspect visually to make sure all parts of the cutting edge are sharp.  Remove
         the wire edge here with gentle strokes of a hard Arkansas stone placed flat against the cutting face.  Check the hook     
       relief angle on the OC.  Plus or minus ½ deg.is the tolerance here.                               

96.        Set up as previously described, the angle displayed should be 13 deg. 

97.       We use a “canned” routine on our OC to get inspect the radius.  You can also use the radius lines on some charts supplied with a n OC or draw a 10X or 20X template to compare the desired radius to. 

98.        It’s time to grind the side relief angles.  For right hand twist, you remove 6 deg. from the right side of the cutter as viewed from the muzzle when the cutter is in the 12 o’clock position.  It’s just the opposite for left hand twist.  The opposite side is normally ground to a 9 deg. relief angle, but, as you can see on this particular rifling form, the profile goes ABOVE where the land is before the side of the cutter is reached.  Therefore, no relief angle is necessary here.  The photo shows what the angle looks like when it is ground .060” down from the hook’s highest point and we also had to grind in from the side .025”, because of a .050” difference in the width of our cutter and the width of the stock available.  The .025" side grind was not necessary on the opposite side for the same reason that no relief angle is necessary on this side.

99.        You can see the corner radius or “hook” in the modified “slant hook” rifling groove which is unique to Brooke rifling.  It is equal to the depth of this rifling which is .023”.  Its form is not absolutely perfect under 20X magnification, but pretty good considering it is ground by hand using a small hand-held diamond stone.  You must grind this radius all the way back to the end of the hook, not just the cutting face of the hook cutter.

100.      The silicone-rubber, (dental impression material by Kerr Co.), molding is       
   of the Parrott rifling that we make for the 1/6 scale, 100 Pdr. Parrott     
   Rifle, Model 1861.  It shows what “blind hole” rifling looks like.  You can see     
               how the grooves are gradually deepened by adjusting the waterfall cut actuator 
   and reach full depth in approximately one-half inch.

101.     Mike inspects the side relief as shop-cat looks on.  He loves sitting on that
 little computer box.  Must be the fan-driven warm air. 

102.      The last two details to be made are the .125” deep X .500 long chip recess     
  seen in front of the hook.  Also, Mike made one refinement which we did not   
        have in our shop sketch.  He beveled the end of the top of the 30 deg plunger tip
              with a shallow 15 deg bevel, .350 long, so that the chips do not have a 90 deg.                                 
               shoulder to get caught behind. 

Well, that’s about it.  Any questions?  Ask away!!  We will discuss how all the parts work in concert in a future posting.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

-Uploaded by ZakaryX

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
So that's it, that's all there is to it...piece a cake!!! Yeah right. 

Thanks Tracy and Mike for posting this.  It give folks some idea of what it takes to make the machine and rifle a barrel.  Hopefully it will inspire others to try...

Offline gimlet

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
Nice job Tracy and  Mike. I really enjoyed the whole rifleing machine informational (is that a real word) ? It will be some time before I attempt something of that magnitude. Best of luck in your future ventures.   Butch

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »
Cool! It tke a while to absorb it all!

How do the chips clear the cutting head?
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2007, 05:55:36 AM »
So that's it, that's all there is to it...piece a cake!!! Yeah right. 

Thanks Tracy and Mike for posting this.  It give folks some idea of what it takes to make the machine and rifle a barrel.  Hopefully it will inspire others to try...

Piece a cake, DD, piece a cake.  Well, not exactly, but it's not Rocket Science either.  I worked in a rocket building factory for five years so I know!  I hope someone will take up the challenge and let us in on their trials and tribulations AND eventual SUCCESS.

Nice job Tracy and  Mike. I really enjoyed the whole rifleing machine informational (is that a real word) ? It will be some time before I attempt something of that magnitude. Best of luck in your future ventures.   Butch

Thanks for hanging in there till the end, Butch.

Cool! It tke a while to absorb it all!

How do the chips clear the cutting head?

Don, if you look at the very last photo, you can see the .125" x .500" chip recess right ahead of the hook cutter.  As the head is withdrawn from the tube, with the hook in the cutting position, the curls of steel deposit immediately ahead of the hook in the chip recess, because they are locked in that recess by the barrel steel above it.  When the head emerges from the tube, a few fall out immediately, but most remain for the rifle maker to remove with his handy little acid brush. 

Regards to you all,

Tracy and Mike

P.S.  Any questions?  Ask away!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2007, 07:29:06 AM »
Yeah piece a cake followed by the smiley for tongue in cheek.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2007, 08:55:21 AM »
DD,
    I really is not that difficult. Anyone here doing there own machining can get it done.

Bob

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2007, 09:13:10 AM »
     Mike and I agree with guardsgunner.  As a matter of fact, in the last paragraph of the introduction, on page two, just before Step#1., we wrote the following:

"More good news is that this particular type of machine is fairly easy to build and also relatively inexpensive.  If you really buy your components carefully, we think you could build one for less than $200.00.  We went to the scrap yard for our steel and blocks of aluminum.  The most expensive items which we purchased were the two 66" long, 1.500" diameter Thompson ball bushing "ways" for the carriage to ride on.  Used, they cost approximately $100.00."

Mike and Tracy

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2007, 01:46:47 PM »
Mike,
    Being a bit of a frugal fellow, I recovered my linear bearings already set 4 in a block,end blocks, rails (ways) and rack from a machine which had seen little use and was being scrapped out at work. I could see what I was going to do with the stuff when I first seen it headin toward the door.And they just think I'm a back rat. Ha.  ;D
    My new machine is also based on a much bigger pc.of scrapped machinery.

I like your cutter. I have not tried rifling a blind hole . I'm into the early breechloaders. (civil war era.) Pulling striaght thru is alot easier.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2007, 07:50:53 PM »
guardsgunner,

We looked around for a used cheap lathe but none available in Denver, sounds like you have got the right stuff to put a machine together.  When your build gets to a reasonable point post some pics.  Glad you like our cutter, we sure hope it works, with the cutters odd shape the proof will be in the cutting.  Right now we're alinging our rifling machine for our test barrel and making the indexing collar for the Brooke 7 groove rifling, we will post some pics of our first Brooke test cuts shortly.

Regards,

Mike

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »
What are the overall dimensions of the machine and how much do you think it weighs?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2007, 05:03:36 AM »
     The length is 9' 10", width is 16" w/o handwheel, 26" incl. handwheel, and the height is 12.5".  We estimate the total weight to be 350 to 400 pounds.  When the rifling head is completely withdraw from the tube being rifled, and the chip recess in the "clean-out" position, the rack protrudes only 3.75" from the right side of the chassis.  A barrel 36" long can be rifled without violating the length envelope stated.  With auxillary support at the breech end a tube 54" long may be rifled.

Hope this helps,

Mike and Tracy

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2007, 07:06:39 AM »
Hi; ;D
Thankyou for all of this information it will surely make one of us a better gunsmith probably not me , not much hope for me, but I do have a question. how does the "blind hole" operation work,how do you adjust the cutter down in the tube?
Gary

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »
Gary,

This is such an important question that we really think it is important to answer it thoroughly.  This cannot be done without sketches, complete mathematics and photos, however.  We will try very hard to provide this information sometime this evening if possible, or tomorrow for sure.
Thanks for a very thoughtful question, Gary.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »
Hi; ;D
Thankyou for all of this information it will surely make one of us a better gunsmith probably not me , not much hope for me, but I do have a question. how does the "blind hole" operation work,how do you adjust the cutter down in the tube?

Gary,

The info you requested will be posted tomorrow evening, Thursday evening.  The sketches and math have to be proofread at least three times; not enough time to do it thoroughly tonight.  The explanation will be COMPLETE.

Until then,

Mike and Tracy

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »
Mike,
    I have already "been there , done that". Unfortunetly the only photo I have left is that of the indexing head which I have alread posted. Rifled four full scale guns.  48" tubes.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
Gary,

This is such an important question that we really think it is important to answer it thoroughly.  This cannot be done without sketches, complete mathematics and photos, however.  We will try very hard to provide this information sometime this evening if possible, or tomorrow for sure.
Thanks for a very thoughtful question, Gary.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Gary,

Mike is right in the initial stages of rifling the 1/6 scale Treble-banded Brooke Rifle at this moment.  He suggested to me, "Why not incorporate the set-up photos, explanation photos and rifling photos into one comprehensive presentation for RELEASE ON FRIDAY EVENING?"  I guess he has a good point; it would be more interesting to see the theory and math joined with much more interesting REAL RIFLE GROOVE CUTTING!!  That's what we will do.

Mike,
    I have already "been there , done that". Unfortunetly the only photo I have left is that of the indexing head which I have alread posted. Rifled four full scale guns.  48" tubes.

guardsgunner,

We had no idea that you had already done those four.  We thought you were gathering equipment at this time.  We are always open to suggestions for improving our operation; since you obviously have experience, please let us know if you see any way we can improve something.  Thanks for your interest.

Until Friday evening,

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2007, 08:26:31 PM »
      Well, the explanation of the "Blind Hole" rifling process is complete and all the sketches and photos and text and math is organized.  My son and chief computer wizard is not feeling well though, and has fallen asleep.  I will not wake him; maybe the upload will happen tomorrow, we will see.

Sorry for the delay.

Regards,

Tracy

P.S.  It is Saturday now and ZakaryX is still feeling bad. He says he will try to get going on Sun.  afternoon.  We'll see.  One good thing is that we figured out what was going on with the new Brooke rifling cutter.  It kept wanting to gouge the metal out of the bore instead of taking a nice uniform curl from breech to muzzle.  We made one, only one change, and tried it again.  Not enough improvement to get excited about.  Then we tried a second change AND Voila!, she is fixed!!  These are very subtle changes and their is no noise indicator or visual indicator to guide you.  You just have to know through experience how to do some of this stuff.  I will add just one little sketch which will help make the problem and the fix understandable.  Talking about it without a sketch is pretty much a waste of time.   Also, we now have a rubber mold of the chamber; what an unusual looking thing it is.  We will have to make a sponge for it which will look just like Travelocity's, "Roaming Gnome's" hat!  Hopefully on Sunday we will introduce this "Blind Hole Rifling" segment.    Thanks again for your patience.  Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »
Will edit as I go -ZakaryX

How  “Blind Hole”  Rifling is Produced with our machine.
By Seacoast Artillery Company

Cut Rifling Process

Preparation Steps:

1.  Disassemble the Rifling Head and clean all parts.  Reassemble.

2.  Clean the tube to be rifled thoroughly.

3.  Clean the v-block supports and The Tube Indexing Collar and Plunger tip.

4.  Grease the rack and the v-block supports.

5.  Grease the Sine Bar and Follower.

6.  Make sure that the Rifling Head retainer pins are BELOW the surface.

7.  Adjust #3 so that the rifling cut begins .50” deeper than the base of the bullet when it is over the smallest frequently used  powder charge.  This is so the sabot can expand into full depth rifling.

8.  Place a small parallel bar on top of the Rifling Head.  Adjust #2 to bring the high point of the cutter within .001” of the parallel bar using a .001” feeler gage.  SEE PHOTOS 2 and 3.

9.  Check to make sure that the Tube Indexer plunger tip and the Indexing Collar is fully engaged.

Ready to Rifle

Process Steps:

1.  Pull #2 knob out, dropping cutter.

2.  Cover the Rifling Head body and Cutter with cutting oil.  Three or four good squirts in the bore is a good idea too.

3.  Run the Head to the bottom of the bore until #3 hits gently.  Give the end of the Pinion Gear Shaft 3 moderate blows with an 8 oz. dead blow hammer.

4.  Withdraw the Head; look for chips.  

5.  If no chips are present, rotate #2 CCW one graduation which moves the Hook Advance Wedge linearly .00417”.  The 5/16-24 screw moves the wedge because the following is true,  [1.0”/24=.0417/10(number of graduations on #2s knob)= .00417”.  Also, because of the 3 deg. angle on the top surface of the wedge, its movement results in an outward cutter advance of .00022”.  The Sine of a 1 deg. Angle is .01745” x 3 deg.=.05235”/.00417” = .0002183”, rounded to .00022”.  The number of Wedge advancements is determined thusly:  The total depth of rifling is .0231” / .00022”= 104.5454 (total number of wedge advance adjustments).  The total linear travel of the wedge is 104.5454 x .00417”=.43595 or .436”.  

6.  Pull knob out, dropping cutter.

7.  Paint cutter with cutting oil.

8.  Run Head to bottom.

9.  Withdraw Head; look for chips.

10. Repeat steps # 5-9 until chips are seen.  SEE Fig. 3., First protrusion of the cutter.

11. Clean chips out of the chip recess with your DRY acid brush.  

12. Rotate the tube until the next c’sink lines up with the plunger tip.  

13. Pull knob out.

14. Paint cutter with oil.

15. Run Head to bottom.

16. Withdraw Head; look for chips.

17. Clean chip recess.

18. Rotate tube.

19 Pull knob out.

20. Paint cutter with oil.

21. Repeat until all 7 grooves are cut with one stroke.

22. Place an allen wrench into #3 socket with handle  at 2 o’clock, turn CCW 1/6 turn, until handle is at the 12 o’clock position; remove wrench.  This starts the Waterfall Cut.  For each adjustment of the Water Cut Actuator, #3, the cutter engages the tube’s steel .0052” closer to the muzzle, thus creating the waterfall feature.  The Waterfall Cut Actuator is a 10-32 socket head cap screw so one revolution of this screw causes an advance of .03125”.  (1.00/32TPI=.03125”)  1/6 turn yields a .0052” advance, (.03125”/6=.0052”).     SEE Fig. 4&5.

Isn’t that a cool looking chamber?  It’s probably more difficult to clean than a hemispherical one though.  Our 15 degree carbide gundrill cuts that shape.  You make darn sure that the mist lube is running at full output before you engage that drill!

You can see here what 85 passes of the Rifling Cutter in each groove yields.  One can see why one of the other names for Brooke’s modified “slant-hook” rifling is “triangular rifling”.   “Saw-tooth” is yet another name for this form of rifling.

We are currently rifling our first test barrel with the Brooke rifling cutter.  We had typical, start-up of something new, problems, but nothing really earthshaking.  We will now describe these difficulties and the proper way to investigate and overcome them.

Problem:

We experienced gouging of the groove being cut.  Instead of .00022” thick chips, we got sudden halts of the Rifling Head during the cutting stroke.  Huge chips, .002” to .003” thick were produced.  The groove surface was very, very rough.

Cause:

The most probable cause is excess material left at the Rifling Head body’s 30 deg. back angle due to deflection of the 1/8" end mill during machining.  A secondary probable cause is that the bottom of the cutter is not flat.   SEE Fig. 7 and 8.  What happens when the cutter is used under these conditions?  SEE Fig. 9.

Solution:

We previously tried re-machining the T-slot.  It is a difficult thing to do and the results can only be described as “iffy”.  In short, you can waste a whole lot of time trying to accomplish  this fix.  We find it is much more sure and effective to first, check the flatness of the cutter’s bottom surface.  A high point in the middle, like ours had, can really cause problems by creating one condition contributing to a “hobby horse” rocking motion of the cutter.  Get that surface flat within .0001”.  Inspect it.  Put it back in the Rifling Head.
Try rifling once again.  If it cuts smoothly, O.K.  Your done.  If not, check both of the 30 deg. back angles, well actually a 30 deg. and a 27 deg.  If the cutter’s 27 deg. angle is O.K., then look at the body’s 30 deg. angle very closely.  You will probably find that it has a bit of excess material toward  the bottom edge.  This can be a pivot point which will cause a CCW  rotation of the cutter when it goes under load.

Put the cutter in the milling machine vise and grind the bottom flat.  Ours had a .0005" high spot right in the middle.  Never assume that just because the tool steel you buy has a ground surface, that the surface is flat!!  After grinding, we had a surface that was flat to .000050".  Try the cutter, if it still is not cutting thin, consistant thickness chips, then take the following steps.  Put the 27 deg. surface facing upward in the milling machine vise.  Grind .003” off the bottom of the cutter’s 27 deg. back angle and .000” off the top of the same angle, thereby reducing the angle to something less than 27 deg.  Try to rifle again.  If this works, fine.  If not, grind a little more off of the same end of the surface and try again.  We have had to do this on three different occasions now, and usually the third grind is a charm.  Viola!  The machine just works, cutting nice thin little curls of steel with each and every stroke!  SEE Fig. 10
Remember, we are not rifling experts, just two guys with a machine that works.

If you have any other questions about anything related to the rifling machine please do not hesitate to ask them.  We will answer each one promptly.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Lots of shooting photos at our site.  Click on the Banner at the top of this Forum.